Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yesterday (I had surgery 9/25) I tried to start taking my Protein Shakes. I tried nectar cherry flavored. It tasted fine and went down as well as anything does. By that I mean I sip everything and set it down and try again in a few min nothing goes down easy but not bad just a don't feel like taking anything.

It seemed to go fine. Since I have been home just one day I feel some gas pain, still have my qpump, and take my rx meds.

So I took another 2 ounces of the drink in the evening with a tiny bit of ice. Tasted ok as before and I drank it down in about 10 min. Within 30-45 min my belly was bloated, felt nausea, pain, and just horrible. I finally got up to the bathroom and had some diarrhea then vomited dry ish heaves horribly painful. Just feeling miserable. My son got me back to bed belly still bloated oh I made myself walk 5 laps in the kitchen like I always do whenever I get up to use the br( I lap the kitchen , which is quite small when I feel bad and lap the living room when I feel up to it.5 laps each time)

The pain in the belly continued I took pain meds and eventually fell asleep. I am up now pooped three time with minimal gas from below and a few burps. The belly is less bloated pain fair to good.

My question is does that sound like dumping and should I try that brand again in a different flavor or just try a different Protein Drink?

Maybe it was too much or where it sat out for a little bit or dumping. When I dumped, I also dry heaved. I broke out in a cold sweat. My dad said I turned white. Mine lasted about 15 minutes then I was OK. I was so hot and my stomach was in knots! Hope you feel better...

Jessica

I wish other post oppers would answer I really need advice

Right after surgery, any time I put something in my mouth for the first few days I felt similar to that. Keep in mind your stomach has been through a lot and it is swollen and mad! My surgeon recommended that I say away from anything cold; warm to hot liquids was recommended to help calm the muscle spasms that cause the pain. I'm not a hot liquid lover but it did help a lot. As for the runs, the first several weeks I had them. One other recommendation I was given was to introduce one new type of liquid per day so that you can keep track of what works well right now. Hang in there, it gets better!! :)

Sent from my VS920 4G using RNYTalk

Sounds like dumping, but u may want to check with your Dr. I would say just worry about getting your fluids in, walking and resting. The first two weeks your system is very touchy due to just having surgery. Don't throw the Protein drink away yet, give it a few days at least then try again. Good luck and wishing u a speedy recovery.

surgeversary 7/24/12, highest weight 267, surgery weight 262, current weight 214

I don't think that was dumping. Syntrax is below the sugar and fat level maxes. I have them myself. You've just had surgery and you're not healed. I know for me, the first few weeks I took barely anything in. My stomach was too irritated from all the work that was done. I'm thinking it's the gas still in your system and you need to sip slower.

Also keep in mind...the Syntrax fruit Protein drinks are made from whey. There is a possibility that you are lactose intollerant after the surgery. Folks can have that happen even if they never had a lactaid problem before. Try a soy based Protein shake instead for a bit to see if it helps.

Definitely let your surgeon know though what's happening. You want to make sure you get fluids in. Mine told me that if Protein wasn't sitting right for the first few weeks to at least get Fluid in so I don't become dehydrated. Let them know what's going on for sure to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the responses. Today I backed off the Protein, slowed down the sipping but tracked my Water and voiding. Passed gas better tummy is definatly less bloated. I must have drunk to fast last night lesson learned.

The same thing happened to me. My surgery was on the 26th and the next night when i was leaving they brought me a carnation instant Breakfast do i mixed it and drank half in my room and more in the car well i never finished it cause i felt sick,bubbles, and like i wanted to pass out. When i court home i lated down and threw up dry heaves and was much better. I think my stomach just wasn't ready for it. I tried one this morning and it went down fine.

I had surgery on the 20th. I have been very fortunate, no vomiting at all for me. (Knock on wood). The one thing I really made sure to do was take things slow. Yes, you want your Proteins, but they will do you no good if you don't hold them down. I didn't have anything but broth and Water for three days. Then I slowly added a few oz of Protein Shakes and just did a little more each day. I am now up to 5-6 two oz meals a day. Keep up the good work. You will a get understanding of what your body us telling you in no time. :)