Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HPV Vaccine

Even if your daughter is not sexually active until marriage, her husband may bring HPV into the marriage. The only way your daughter is safe is if she marries another virgin. This is just something to keep in mind. My daughter is 19 and a virgin. She is also in a committed relationship but they have decided to wait until marriage before having sex. I believe he is a virgin as well. My daughter is still considering the vaccine because there is an age limit of 26. She believes that life is not always predictable and that the best laid plans sometimes do not work out. She could end up divorced or widowed and there could come a day when she may end up in a second marriage or another relationship.

I don't expect them to be sexually active before they get married.

Good luck with that. I seriously don't think many of us "expect" our daughters (or sons) to have sex before they are married. We hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

I would NOT get the vaccine if I were of age which I am not. THere are just too many unknowns right now for me to feel it is safe in the long run. Besides it isn't even a close comparison to all the other vaccines out there now we protect our children with. HPV is a virus that has been shown to possibly cause cervical cancer in some women. What do the studies say about transmitting to another person? I know a man can give it to a woman. Can a woman give it to a man? How does HPV affect a man? Does he have issues to face later in life because he is HPV positive?

What I don't like is the stigma that seems to be attached to this virus. It seems to be looped into the HIV stigma and that scares me alot. More education and less scare tactics is warranted. Stop pushing the vaccine and do more education on the virus and its affect on the human (not just female) body.

I have HPV, it was diagnosed when I had an abnomal pap smear of atypical cervical growth. Funny thing is I had a hysterectomy in 1988 where everything was taken out including my cervix. So how did I have atypical cervical growth on a pap smear after 25 years after cervix removal? There was a tiny amount of cervical tissue left that could not be removed. When they did the LEEP procedure they removed that little bit of left over tissue. But guess what I still have HPV. Once you have it it is still there. It is a virus. Viruses go dormant in the body. Unless you are given some antiviral drug to kill the HPV then once you are diagnosed with it you have it for life. That is what I was told by my GYN.

As parents we should protect our children as much as possible. If my daughters were of age (which they are not) I would NOT recommend the vaccine again because there are still too many unknowns.

As far as making the vaccine Mandatory, Not only no but HELL no. How horrible for all the females in schools to be hearded into get their vaccines while the males go play or do what males do. Slightly discriminatory and why not come up with a vaccine for the men as well? Of course the money maker is in the women first I see that too.

These are just my opinions as a health care provider and a mother and an HPV carrier. I don't care if you don't agree that is what makes this forum such fun.

From the CDC website...

Genital HPV infection is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that is caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). Human papillomavirus is the name of a group of viruses that includes more than 100 different strains or types. More than 30 of these viruses are sexually transmitted, and they can infect the genital area of men and women including the skin of the penis, vulva (area outside the vagina), or anus, and the linings of the vagina, cervix, or rectum. Most people who become infected with HPV will not have any symptoms and will clear the infection on their own.

Some of these viruses are called "high-risk" types, and may cause abnormal Pap tests. They may also lead to cancer of the cervix, vulva, vagina, anus, or penis. Others are called "low-risk" types, and they may cause mild Pap test abnormalities or genital warts. Genital warts are single or multiple growths or bumps that appear in the genital area, and sometimes are cauliflower shaped.

Approximately 20 million people are currently infected with HPV. At least 50 percent of sexually active men and women acquire genital HPV infection at some point in their lives. By age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have acquired genital HPV infection. About 6.2 million Americans get a new genital HPV infection each year.

The types of HPV that infect the genital area are spread primarily through genital contact. Most HPV infections have no signs or symptoms; therefore, most infected persons are unaware they are infected, yet they can transmit the virus to a sex partner. Rarely, a pregnant woman can pass HPV to her baby during vaginal delivery. A baby that is exposed to HPV very rarely develops warts in the throat or voice box.

Most people who have a genital HPV infection do not know they are infected. The virus lives in the skin or mucous membranes and usually causes no symptoms. Some people get visible genital warts, or have pre-cancerous changes in the cervix, vulva, anus, or penis. Very rarely, HPV infection results in anal or genital cancers.

There is no "cure" for HPV infection, although in most women the infection goes away on its own. The treatments provided are directed to the changes in the skin or mucous membrane caused by HPV infection, such as warts and pre-cancerous changes in the cervix.

All types of HPV can cause mild Pap test abnormalities which do not have serious consequences. Approximately 10 of the 30 identified genital HPV types can lead, in rare cases, to development of cervical cancer. Research has shown that for most women (90 percent), cervical HPV infection becomes undetectable within two years. Although only a small proportion of women have persistent infection, persistent infection with "high-risk" types of HPV is the main risk factor for cervical cancer.

HPV infection can occur in both male and female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom, as well as in areas that are not covered. While the effect of condoms in preventing HPV infection is unknown, condom use has been associated with a lower rate of cervical cancer, an HPV-associated disease.

Even if your daughter is not sexually active until marriage, her husband may bring HPV into the marriage. The only way your daughter is safe is if she marries another virgin. This is just something to keep in mind. My daughter is 19 and a virgin. She is also in a committed relationship but they have decided to wait until marriage before having sex. I believe he is a virgin as well. My daughter is still considering the vaccine because there is an age limit of 26. She believes that life is not always predictable and that the best laid plans sometimes do not work out. She could end up divorced or widowed and there could come a day when she may end up in a second marriage or another relationship.

I completely agree with your reasoning here - and if my daughters decide to marry someone who isn't a virgin, or if they decide to become sexually active, they can then decide to get the vaccine. But for right now, there's no reason for them to have it at a young age when the vaccine is not well fleshed out.

Good luck with that. I seriously don't think many of us "expect" our daughters (or sons) to have sex before they are married. We hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Thanks - but I think a little more than luck is required. Unfortunately, my generation was only told "don't do it" and not why. We're working hard to make sure our children understand the "why" so they will make good choices in their lives. But if they disregard our teaching, then they can get the vaccine on their own.

And before anyone jumps all over me about "you don't know what your kids are going to do when they're not with you", we homeschool and plan to do so through high school. We are a very open, honest family, and have had very frank, open communication about sex with our oldest daughter (the youngest is yet too young to discuss it). I don't foresee that changing.

Im not jumping on you but from my experience and as a former "teen Mom " its parents with that "Thinking" and contiue to think that way that have the kids who are having sex and refuse to see it or beilve it.

That line of thinking although "Hopeful" is frankly not realistic. I have an open realtionship with my son , he talks to my husband more than myself about "things" but I do NOT think for ONE Second that he's NOT going to have sex before he gets married. This day and age its not realiistic , Its just not . You might home school but you cant not confine them to their homes forever.

Mindy

Im not jumping on you but from my experience and as a former "teen Mom " its parents with that "Thinking" and contiue to think that way that have the kids who are having sex and refuse to see it or beilve it.

That line of thinking although "Hopeful" is frankly not realistic. I have an open realtionship with my son , he talks to my husband more than myself about "things" but I do NOT think for ONE Second that he's NOT going to have sex before he gets married. This day and age its not realiistic , Its just not . You might home school but you cant not confine them to their homes forever.

Mindy

I certainly don't think it's impossible that they'll choose a route I wouldn't choose for them. I don't plan on turning a blind eye and blithely believing it's not happening. I am a very realistic person. That being said, my husband and I didn't have sex until our wedding night, so I know it's certainly possible to abstain -- however "unrealistic" you think it may be. And our plan is not to "confine" them to our home, but to give them the freedom to live in our home until they're married. If they choose not to take us up on that, that's their decision. And if, along with that decision, they choose to become sexually active before marriage, then they can choose to have the vaccine.

I certainly don't think it's impossible that they'll choose a route I wouldn't choose for them. I don't plan on turning a blind eye and blithely believing it's not happening. I am a very realistic person. That being said, my husband and I didn't have sex until our wedding night, so I know it's certainly possible to abstain -- however "unrealistic" you think it may be. And our plan is not to "confine" them to our home, but to give them the freedom to live in our home until they're married. If they choose not to take us up on that, that's their decision. And if, along with that decision, they choose to become sexually active before marriage, then they can choose to have the vaccine.

I think you have the right mind set, dont get me wrong. I am not saying either that kids DONT abstane. I am however saying that those kids are few and far between . Things are so different now than it was in the time Ive been out of school. (about 15 yrs ) My friend and I were talking the other day . Sex, abortions ect now for teens are lunch room topics. My sister tells me the things her friends talk about , granted it is the things my friends and I were doing but we did not talk about it to everyone.

Its scary . Personally I do think it is unrealiastic for kids to be virgins until marriage . Its just not the way things are now. If a child can manage to do it that's great and I say the child because no matter what a parent does or says to them its up to the kid .

I just hate it when i see the parents (Not you others parents I know) who do not even have teens in school say " MY Kids wont do that I know my kids " and they have no clue what high school and middle scholl is like.

Make sense ??

I hope your dd does abstane , I wish myssiter would have , i wish I would have.

Mindy

I think you have the right mind set, dont get me wrong. I am not saying either that kids DONT abstane. I am however saying that those kids are few and far between . Things are so different now than it was in the time Ive been out of school. (about 15 yrs ) My friend and I were talking the other day . Sex, abortions ect now for teens are lunch room topics. My sister tells me the things her friends talk about , granted it is the things my friends and I were doing but we did not talk about it to everyone.

Its scary . Personally I do think it is unrealiastic for kids to be virgins until marriage . Its just not the way things are now. If a child can manage to do it that's great and I say the child because no matter what a parent does or says to them its up to the kid .

I just hate it when i see the parents (Not you others parents I know) who do not even have teens in school say " MY Kids wont do that I know my kids " and they have no clue what high school and middle scholl is like.

Make sense ??

I hope your dd does abstane , I wish myssiter would have , i wish I would have.

Mindy

Because we homeschool, our kids aren't participants in these types of conversations, so they do have a better chance. They know (or at least the older one does) that these conversations exist, because WE have them with her -- absent the giggling, the teasing, and the lack of knowledge that occurs when children talk about them.

When I was in high school, 25 years ago, I was one of the only virgins -- so things haven't changed that much. I think sometimes we don't give kids enough credit -- you say you wish you and your sister had abstained, but from what you've said it seems you're not teaching your son to abstain either (I could be wrong about this, but it seems that's what you're saying). If our parents don't believe we can abstain, they're certainly not empowering us to do so.

I'm not saying I expect it to be easy for kids not to have sex. I am saying it's possible, and we are giving our daughters as many tools as there are in the arsenal for them to make good choices.

But if they disregard our teaching, then they can get the vaccine on their own.

Not if they are only 15 or 16 years old.

Not if they are only 15 or 16 years old.

That's right. The only thing they can do without parental permission at 15 or 16 is kill their unborn babies.

{sigh} I think you're missing what I'm saying. Our daughters, when they're 15 and 16, will still be homeschooled, so they will not be away from us 8-10 hours per day. They also will not be dating. So it's extremely unlikely that they'll be sexually active at that age.

That being said, if our lives change and we do not continue to have the open and honest relationship in 5-10 years that we have with our daughters now, I believe we will know it and will take appropriate action. But right now, there's no reason for them to be vaccinated.

...if they decide to become sexually active, they can then decide to get the vaccine.

And it's entirely possible they will abstain until they're older than 26, at which time they'll be too old for the vaccine. And then they might fall in love with and marry men who have been exposed, and it'd be a shame they passed up the chance to be protected early on.

And it's entirely possible they will abstain until they're older than 26, at which time they'll be too old for the vaccine. And then they might fall in love with and marry men who have been exposed, and it'd be a shame they passed up the chance to be protected early on.

Firstly, when the first one is 26, that'll be in 17 years. So things with the vaccine may change drastically between now and then. Secondly, if they don't change, at 26 my girls can make that decision on their own -- and if they are not yet married then I would actually, at that time, recommend that they be vaccinated for precisely the reason you cite. As much as everyone may think, I'm not burying my head in the sand here!

BTW, thank you for validating the fact that they might choose to abstain :confused: