Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HPV Vaccine

STD's have been skyrocketing for years. The most current statistics indicate that 50% of all sexually active teens will have at least one STD before the age of 25. Scary stuff, indeed. Safe sex isn't "safe" even when one prevents pregnancy.

What's scarey is the things young people consider " Sex" and not 'Sex" .

And what little they know about STD's and how to get them.

Mindy

What's scarey is the things young people consider " Sex" and not 'Sex" .

And what little they know about STD's and how to get them.

Mindy

LOL! Ain't that the truth!!!!!

I'm married, yet I am still considering getting the vacine myself. Not because I plan on ever getting divorced or anything, but again there are many variables in life, etc, etc. I've had all my vacines accept the pneumonia vacine because my doc said it was only good for the viral pneumonia and I've only had the bacterial kind and that was really unpleasant- had about three times one semester. Also I do have a history of gynecological problems so I guess I am a little sensitive about any threats and want to guard against them. I had this monster cyst that made me really sick and then it grew for a couple of months (all the while making me sicker) unti it ruptered and when it ruptered it damaged a nerve ending in my abdominal wall, and now I live with chronic pain and other issues. At first my doctors had no idea then when they found it was a cyst they wanted to make sure it wasn't a tumor so there was all the waiting on tests and more tests... During those few months I had more gynecological exams than most women do in a decade I think. So I'm all for anything can potentially prevent any gynecological bad stuff.

And I've been telling my friends about it. All my friends are young like me and either scientists or students and while I know my closest friends are very very carefull about stuff like sex (didn't lose virginity until twenties, etc), life does tend to happen. What if one partner lied about his sexual history and condoms aren't always going to protect against HPV... I mean my friends are good judges of charachters and stuff but there are some scary people out there who can totally fool you into thinking that they are someone other than they aren't. What if they end up sleeping with someone like that- should they neccessarily have to end up with his or her HPV?

Unless your under the age of 26 your too old for the Vaccine .

Mindy

I did hear on the news today the There is a "clause" in the new law in Texas that allows for opting out for religious beliefs and for "Parental" beliefs , I think is how they stated it.

So they are in away leaving it up to the parents. However I think the issue is the mandate and who Perry knew . If there is an opt out option then its not Really mandatory . Therefore this was done to get MEREK the "mandatory " business. For those people who do not know any better and just hear " Mandatory" and go get the vax for their girls. And you know there is A LOT Of that.

Mindy

Unless your under the age of 26 your too old for the Vaccine .

Mindy

You can still have it you just have to pay for it. Ins will not cover.

If you are in the risk group, single , sexually active or swinger you still need the vaccine. $150 X3doses. If you have already been exposed it just wasting money!

well I am under 26. I am 23. And I haven't been exposed. But being married I suppose it would be a waste of good vaccine on me. Part of me wants to get covered for all eventualities, like what if 15 years from now my husband and I do decide to swing or something (highly unlikely)... The more pragmatic part of me says to save myself a few injections in the cervix for the slight possiblity of unlikely eventualities and deal with those if and when they do happen.

You can still have it you just have to pay for it. Ins will not cover.

If you are in the risk group, single , sexually active or swinger you still need the vaccine. $150 X3doses. If you have already been exposed it just wasting money!

THIS I have not heard, although I haven't been looking for it. Are you saying that the vaccine works just as well on all ages, but just won't be covered by insurance for those over 26?

From the CDC:

The vaccine has been extensively tested in 9-26 year-old females so information is only available about vaccine safety and protection for girls/women of this age group. However, studies on the vaccine are now being done in boys/men, as well as in women older than 26 years of age. The FDA will consider licensing the vaccine for these other groups when there is research to show that it is safe and effective in these groups.

Yes- the trials are ongoing, but if you want it- the family practice and gyn in my area are giving the HPV vaccine IF you are older than the 9-26. THE ONLY reason 9-26yr of age was choosen was to "catch" a person PRIOR to any sexual exposure. ALL women (and men) are at risk if they are sexually active and not single partner.

The guideline of 9-26 is just that a guideline- for presexually active females.

I decided it was better for my husband to answer. So without prepping him first, I brought her into the room and said, "Daddy, your daughter read about circumcision and she wants to know what it means."

Want to hear my circumcision story? I have 3 sons, all circumcised, as was their father. So once they were past the newborn stage and the insult to their little baby willies was all healed, I never thought much about it. Until one Sunday evening. My younger sons (about 10 and 12 years old) were watching a movie on cable and part of the story included a Jewish circumcision ceremony. Son #3 came into the kitchen, where I was cooking dinner, all wide-eyed and said, "Mom, you won't believe what just happened in this movie. A priest cut the end of a baby's penis off with a sword!"

I knew immediately, of course, what he was talking about, and I explained that it was part of the Jewish faith and it wasn't a priest - they are called Rabbis - and he didn't cut off part of the baby's penis - just some skin that covers the end of a newborn boy's member. "There's something else you should know," I admitted. "It isn't only Jewish people who circumcise their little boys. Christian people do it, too. Only it's done in the hospital, by the doctor."

"Do Catholics do it?" asked Kelly, suddenly suspicious.

"Yes, they do" I told him, "You were circumcised the day you were born, and so were your brothers."

Without a word, the kid ran back into the den shouting, "Patrick, guess what? That priest was a Jewish guy and he just cut off the skin on the end of that baby's penis and the doctor cut mine off and yours and Tommy's, too."

His brother literally rolled on the floor, laughing. "Boy," he said, "You are such an idiot. Mom was joking and you fell for it."

I could hear him all the way in the kitchen. "Patrick," I yelled, "come here. There's something I need to tell you."

I could not believe that it had never occurred to me to talk to them about circumcision. We had talked about everything else, but somehow that one slipped by under the radar. So if you have boys, you might want to mention it real casually sometime.

No. The state cannot rule that people get vaccines. God, we're turning into some sort of dictatorship.

Scary, isn't it? Have you heard about the anti-spanking bill that's coming up in California?

There are generally ways to opt out of "mandatory" vaccines for kids, but they never make it easy on you. And you have to know enough to ask.

No. The state cannot rule that people get vaccines. God, we're turning into some sort of dictatorship.

Virtually every state in the US does require vaccinations in order for a child to attend public school. You can opt out only if you request a special form from the state, fill it out, have it notarized, and return it to the school. It's good for two years, then you have to do it all over again.

Our state requires DPT, Polio, MMR (Measels, Mumps, Rubella), Hepatitis A and B, and Varicella (Chickenpox).

My daughter was diagnosed with HPV at 19 and had to have an envasive procedure called LEEP. Her fertility may be a problem when she wants children but was extremely close to having full blown cervical cancer

This is EXACTLY what happened to me and I was a virgin. I am so scared now since I had to have 2 leep procedures back to back that I will have fertility issues when I try to have kids down the road. HPV is so scary and I think the vaccine is such a blessing. I was SO close to having cancer and had no idea. I had no reason to go get a PAP until I was 19 and started having sex. My first visit the doctor told me that I had to have the LEEP procedure right away so I had to leave college and come home for it. It was horrible but after the 2nd one I haven't had any more abnormal paps knock on wood. I didnt know that they didnt do the LEEP anymore though......Wow I hope I can have kids.....I am soo sad now.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/157/160

5'8''