Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HPV Vaccine

The FDA has approved a vaccine for human papillomavirus, a sexually transmitted disease that is responsible for about 70 percent of cervical cancer cases. Females between 9 and 26 can get vaccinated.

Will you get the vaccine? Will you get your daughter vaccinated? Should schools require that girls be vaccinated?

My DD is a nurse for a local GP, and she said they have received numerous calls asking if it was available yet. She also said that they have made such a PR campaign of it, stating that it is responsible for most cervical cancer cases, that they have a young girl in her Senior year of HS who has cervical cancer, and of all things her classmates are shunning her and calling her a slut among other things---and my DD as the attending nurse, says it could not be more untrue...the girl is a virgin...or at any rate still has an intact hymen, and claims zero partners. She is now taking antidepressants along with being sent to a GYN.....for monitoring and treatment.

If I was within the age, and sexually active, I would probably do it. My DD who is in the age group but in a monogamous relationship, said no she would not get it. She said she would prefer to see some long term studies.

Interesting question....will you opt for the vaccine for your granddaughter? It seems so easy...until it is our loved ones we are making decisions for doesn't it!!!

Kat

YES! I will have Cheyenne vaccinated ASAP. My DIL was diagnosed with cervical cancer at age 27. Fortunately a hysterectomy stopped it before it spread, but she had PAPs regularly and hers went from normal to cancer the OB/GYN could see with the naked eye in 18 months.

I have already contacted the insurance company to see if they will pay for the vaccine. It's two shots - $165 each.

I do not feel that schools should require it but I will be getting it for both my girls. My husband and I have thought long and hard about this. I do feel that if I can save them from something so bad I need to, it is my duty to protect them.

Oh my goodness, I would be doing the same then---I would do it myself, as I said. I am a cancer survivor, mine was discovered fairly early, and with treatment along with hysterectomy, I have shown no new signs in 4 years now.....one more year, and I can say I beat it!! Mine was uterine, not cervical---but either way---it is scary as hell, and all that poking around is horrid!!!

I applaud your decision!

Kat

I am an RN and would highly recommend this vaccination for all eligible females. It's a series of 3 shots over 6 months (similar to hepatitis B schedule) and affords protection for most cervical viruses. Currently, studies are in progress to develop a vaccine for boys/men as well.

i plan on getting it and i truly don't understand the people that don't want their daughters to get it.

I have sister who is 15 ( im 31) She came to me to be put on birth control because my parents are NOT so bright and did not learn ANYTHING from myself OR MY MOM getting pregnant at 15 and 16 and do not tell her anything different from what they told me .

SO that being said, I also got my sister the shot. Since I was paying out of pocket its a series of 3 shots at $175 Each out of pocket for myself. BUT its worth it for me to get it for my sister. I'll deal with my parents later w/all of it. I have a friend who can not have children now due to HPV . Its worth it for me to get it for my sister on both counts. Both are protecting her from very seroius consequences.

I don't know about it. I'm up in the air. Of coarse, I can't get it, but my daughter could. My concern dates me. When I was preg. with my daughter, I was asked if my MOTHER had taken something ( I don't remember the name, maybe others do?) when she was pg with ME because if she had then MY CHILDREN would be at risk for birth defects.

So, every time I see that commerical, focused only at young girls, I think of that. I'm scared that we will have a whole generation of girls out there carrying SOMETHING that is going to transmit down the line.

At the same time, I worry about the HPV thing. However, I had HPV before I had my second son and it went away no problem. Not all types of HPV cause cancer, and NOT all cancer is caused by HPV.

Both of my girls will be getting it when they're old enough. I admit to selfishly being a little glad that we have a couple of years to wait in case there are any wrinkles to be ironed out.

If I had a pre-sexually active daughter rather than a son I would not get it for her.

I have not been convinced that this vaccine is safe in the long run.

I apologise for repeating these things that I have already said on the other thread on this topic, but:

- they don't even know how long the immunity lasts therefore how can they be sure that there are no negative effects in the long term?

- they want to start vaccinations for 9 year old girls. At the moment they know that it lasts for 5 years. If they find it doesn't last much longer, that means that some girls will be losing their immunity when they're beginning to become sexually active. They may, at that time assume they're still protected.

- it doesn't eliminate the need for pap smears as the vaccine deals with only a few of the virus strains.

My big issue is with Merck lobbying to have this a manditory vaccine, before extensive testing has been done.

When the chicken pox vax first came out they didnt know how long it would last, hell they STILL DO not know how long it will last for sure, but they tell you you dont need to get your kid a booster. There is no 100% sure thing. how do you think the chicken pox vaccine became part of the vaccine regimine ? From the drug company lobbying.

How do you think EVERY OTHER Vax became manatory ? The SAME WAY . Its too important not to get it in my opinon.

mindy

I started seeing commercials for this about 3 months ago, but have neglected to read the literature about it. I'm too old for it, and have no kids. But if I had a daughter, we'd definitely have the conversation. I would not want to see schools make it mandatory at this time. Years down the road, if all goes well, I may say something different. I've just known too many people to jump onto a drug bandwagon, so to speak, and not be able to live to regret it.

I started seeing commercials for this about 3 months ago, but have neglected to read the literature about it. I'm too old for it, and have no kids. But if I had a daughter, we'd definitely have the conversation. I would not want to see schools make it mandatory at this time. Years down the road, if all goes well, I may say something different. I've just known too many people to jump onto a drug bandwagon, so to speak, and not be able to live to regret it.

I think i agree w/it not being mandatory . I kind of have mixed feelings about it I guess. I can see how it would help to have it mandatory and why it shouldnt be too .

Mindy