Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain After Surgery?

Has anyone gained their weight back after surgery? I was 294 and went down to 180. I am now back up to 196...but is this normal? I'm 18 months post surgery.

Your body can get comfortable with what you may have been (or not been doing) and so it stops losing weight and starts regain. I've heard that if you go back to liquid diet for a lil bit and change up your exercise that you should start losing again. If you are working out try to change it up. Also start a food diary to see if there's a culprit in the foods you are eating. but honestly I would see a nutritionist.

After a year or so people tend to eat larger quantities and less healthy, you have to eat the way you did when you first got out of surgery (low carb)

- Kaylee Ann ~ Surgiversary: 6/11/12

Though I've heard of many people gaining 20 lbs after losing all the weight

- Kaylee Ann ~ Surgiversary: 6/11/12

Hi! I'm new here but I can attest for the weight gain. I had RNY in Feb 2004 starting weight was 320 and lost down to 190. Well, slowly but surely, I gained weight and began taking up bad habits and not exercising and ended up back to 274. I went to my surgeon and was able to have a revision on 6/28/12..... So I am starting this journey again and for the last time. It isn't easy and I am scared sometimes afraid it won't work or I won't lose anything. I'm trying very hard. I'm glad I found this group because I will need lots of support.

I've heard the same thing that most people maintain at about 10-16 pounds above their lowest weight post op. I can't attest for this but have heard many talk about the five day pouch test to retrain yourself. Like I said, can't vouch for it but worth looking into if you want.

Hi! I'm new here but I can attest for the weight gain. I had RNY in Feb 2004 starting weight was 320 and lost down to 190. Well' date=' slowly but surely, I gained weight and began taking up bad habits and not exercising and ended up back to 274. I went to my surgeon and was able to have a revision on 6/28/12..... So I am starting this journey again and for the last time. It isn't easy and I am scared sometimes afraid it won't work or I won't lose anything. I'm trying very hard. I'm glad I found this group because I will need lots of support.[/quote']

@working for shoes, how is it going so far? I am scheduled for a revision on 8/20 and would love to hear how it is the second time around, thanks in advance. Btw i had min in 2004 also!

Well it's going.... I'm on mush food actually started tuna today.....the surgery was a breeze and I was up walking and movie pretty quickly. It is hard when the family is eating. I was on liquids on 4th of July and had a cookout at my house. A few times I would just go run errands when the family ate.

My surgeon is treating me like I'm starting over..... Seeing the nutritionist and all. I'm really hopeful I will be successful. But I can't lie and say it isn't easy.

We will have to support each other on this 2nd chance!

Well it's going.... I'm on mush food actually started tuna today.....the surgery was a breeze and I was up walking and movie pretty quickly. It is hard when the family is eating. I was on liquids on 4th of July and had a cookout at my house. A few times I would just go run errands when the family ate.

My surgeon is treating me like I'm starting over..... Seeing the nutritionist and all. I'm really hopeful I will be successful. But I can't lie and say it isn't easy.

We will have to support each other on this 2nd chance!

For sure we can support each other! I did not have to do the liquid diet the first time and now I have to do it for two weeks, beginning on the 6th. Not looking forward to it! Yes I also am being treated as a newbie to rny, but alot has changed since we did it, so trying to learn all over again. Have you lost much weight since the surgery, all i have heard is that this 2nd time it is much slower? I am grateful i saw ur post because it certainly has been hard to find people in the same situation. Oh and by the way welcome!

Has anyone gained their weight back after surgery? I was 294 and went down to 180. I am now back up to 196...but is this normal? I'm 18 months post surgery.

I had mine in 2004 and was fine until two years ago that I began gaining. It has to do in part with behavior and in part that i have a dialated anastamosis which i am getting a revision for on 8/20.

I have lost 17lbs and I'm a little over 3 weeks post op. I didn't have to do the liquid diet but my surgeon said if I gained Nything he would cancel my surgery...... Problem was my family and I went on a 7 day cruise 1.5 weeks prior to surgery. I had to be careful and when I came back I was to have only 2 meals and one Protein shake. I gained on the cruise but lost 2 lbs below my dr weight prior to surgery. Whew! I went back to work a week after coming home from hospital. I was feeling fine. Still a little tired.

Thanks for the welcome!

Annette

I have lost 17lbs and I'm a little over 3 weeks post op. I didn't have to do the liquid diet but my surgeon said if I gained Nything he would cancel my surgery...... Problem was my family and I went on a 7 day cruise 1.5 weeks prior to surgery. I had to be careful and when I came back I was to have only 2 meals and one Protein shake. I gained on the cruise but lost 2 lbs below my dr weight prior to surgery. Whew! I went back to work a week after coming home from hospital. I was feeling fine. Still a little tired.

Thanks for the welcome!

Annette

Wow 17lbs that is great! Your surgeon sounds like he meant business! Yeah I am going to take off two wks. Because of the drain, they said it will be in about a week. I have a trip scheduled also in the middle of my liquid diet but my dr said I could eat for two of the three days i am on vacation and then i have to go back to liquids. Thank u so much for sharing! Mayra

Confused. With the revision, is it basically a surgery to do the RnY all over again a 2nd time?

Confused. With the revision' date=' is it basically a surgery to do the RnY all over again a 2nd time?[/quote']

Yes, my pouch had stretched and the intestines where attached to stoma formed a pocket. So the surgeon fixed that and made my pouch smaller and placed a ring st the base (wasn't available first time around). Plus fixed the hiatal hernia.