Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is it just me or has anyone else experienced this? I see someone that I haven't seen in awhile and they don't comment or seem to notice that I've lost 50+ pounds. Kind of hurtful. Anyone else have this?

Absolutely..it's happened to me several times!!

Yes it has happened to me to. I just try to ignore them, but its so hard. I know some of the people that I have told that I had the surgery won't hardly even talk to me. I guess we weren't that good of friends anyway.

I have noticed this too! Some people just don't say anything and people I told because I felt I HAD to don't say anything! RUDE!! And what pisses me off even more is when I find out that the people I told in confidence tell other people!! You can't trust anyone!! Learning to change my ways!!!

Me 2! I've lost 60+ lbs and some people seem to not notice...finally saw my sister since having surgery and she never said one word about me losing 60 lbs. I've posted in other threads how I haven't seen her since surgery and we live about 5 miles away from one another. She never called ,asked how was doing after surgery or nothing....then I finally see her in person and still NOTHING! Things that make you go hmmm...lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

Just remember your doing this for you no one else people been talking behind our backs most of our lives that's there problem not ours smile and keep walking after you lose all that weight there gonna hate you even more. Laugh at it and move on cause thou know you look good

I have had this. I have lost 74 lbs and there are some people who have never said a word. Then there are people who bring it up all the time. There are definitely people who have issues w the weight loss and I honestly don't know why. How does my losing weight affect them? Was it a condition of us being friends that I stay unhealthy? I don't bring up weight loss or weight loss related issues to anyone except my support group because this is my personal journey and I don't want to bring in any negativity. For me, part of this is truly getting to the point where it is about me and not caring what other people think.

Maybe some people are afraid to ask about your weight loss because maybe they think you are sick with cancer or terminal and don't want to pry? People are funny like that..... I always say to people who have lost weight that they look fantastic but I do not go any further than that. I usually get the extreme... from people saying nothing to people asking way too may questions.

I have a close friend, well she was until I started my jouney to WLS, who said she was happy for me, wanted me to be sucessful with surgery etc. But the whole time behind my back was telling others that I was just way too big, I couldnt handle doing things the right way that I had to take the easy way out. She and I had a "discussion" about it, just the two of us, and what it came down to was her fear of me not being her friend anymore once I was "skinny".... It was more about how she felt knowing I was finally going to do something about my weight and not just keep going through the same cycles of the "fad" diet, exercise a few days then quit....eat when we were both down, depressed or happy and excited. She felt like I was just tossing her aside, eventhough I never changed anything with her (I havent had surgery yet). So once she and I talked it out everything seems ok.

So I think its more that people notice you've lost a lot of weight but their own insecurities make them not compliment you or congradulate you. Just keep a smile and no matter what keep looking in the mirror....cause only you know the true journey you have taken and how much you have lost and how hard you've worked!!

Me 2! I've lost 60+ lbs and some people seem to not notice...finally saw my sister since having surgery and she never said one word about me losing 60 lbs. I've posted in other threads how I haven't seen her since surgery and we live about 5 miles away from one another. She never called ' date='asked how was doing after surgery or nothing....then I finally see her in person and still NOTHING! Things that make you go hmmm...lol

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk[/quote']

Panda,

Does your sister have weight issues? Maybe she is jealous of you! You look great!!!

I have a close friend, well she was until I started my jouney to WLS, who said she was happy for me, wanted me to be sucessful with surgery etc. But the whole time behind my back was telling others that I was just way too big, I couldnt handle doing things the right way that I had to take the easy way out. She and I had a "discussion" about it, just the two of us, and what it came down to was her fear of me not being her friend anymore once I was "skinny".... It was more about how she felt knowing I was finally going to do something about my weight and not just keep going through the same cycles of the "fad" diet, exercise a few days then quit....eat when we were both down, depressed or happy and excited. She felt like I was just tossing her aside, eventhough I never changed anything with her (I havent had surgery yet). So once she and I talked it out everything seems ok.

So I think its more that people notice you've lost a lot of weight but their own insecurities make them not compliment you or congradulate you. Just keep a smile and no matter what keep looking in the mirror....cause only you know the true journey you have taken and how much you have lost and how hard you've worked!!

I'm afraid that this situation is going to come up in my life. My best friend and I are both very much overweight. I've talked with her about the surgery and she seems supportive, but I think that once I have surgery and lose weight, she is going to start acting differently. She's a really sensitive person and we've had problems before with her feeling bad or jealous if I hang out with other people (due to her being busy or not coming to an event). I am really hoping this doesn't affect our friendship. I don't want her to feel like I've left her in the dust. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you handle it?

Panda' date='

Does your sister have weight issues? Maybe she is jealous of you! You look great!!![/quote']

She does now but all of our lives I've been the fat sister. Her weight issues are related to long term steroid use for a condition she has. Still she was not as big as me. Plus she's about 3-4 inches taller. I would say jealousy has some play in here

I honestly don't notice other people's weightloss (or weight gain) immediately. Especially people I see daily. It usually takes someone pointing it out or a certain outfit for me to do a double take. Its not that I don't care, I just don't identify them by their weight. It's hard to explain.... Weight is such a touchy subject that some people are afraid to bring it up first.

She does now but all of our lives I've been the fat sister. Her weight issues are related to long term steroid use for a condition she has. Still she was not as big as me. Plus she's about 3-4 inches taller. I would say jealousy has some play in here

Panda,

I can so relate to being the fat sister! My sister is the polar opposite of me. She's short and petite. I feel like she has used that against me my entire life! I'm interested to see what our relationship will be like after I have surgery. I'm hoping it will bring us closer together!