Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI everyone this is my first post. My surgery date is set for 7/17. I've been reading the posts and I see a lot of people are on pre-op diets. I have not been put on one and was just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation. I just find it weird that I haven't been put on one.

my dr has not said anything about it either. I assumed it has to do with your pr op weight? But I do not know. Anyone got some insight?

I only had to be on a liquid diet the day before surgery. Every program has different diet guidelines. I transitioned to a pureed diet the day after surgery.

I am 2 weeks post op...my dr said he sometimes puts patients with a higher BMI on a Pre-op diet...I personally didn't have one...I was just told to cut carbs, and all liquid 48 hours before surgery:)

I was on full liquids for two weeks pre op. I didn't know about it either until last minute when I attended a final education class, That meant I did not have a food funeral which might have been a good thing. I had my surgery Monday and now I an on a clear liquid diet for three weeks.....just Water, sugar free Jello, and G2.....it;s killing me

I did not have a pre op diet other than only Clear Liquids the day before surgery. I am back on regular food as tolerated as of three weeks post op.

Sent from my VS920 4G using RNYTalk

I have to do a liquid diet for a week before surgery and I am even contemplating doing 2.

If no one has talked to you about this yet they should have! With a liquid diet (high in protein), your liver will shrink so your surgeon will have more room to complete the surgery laproscopically. According to my doctor if your liver is too large when they go to do the procedure they will either have to stop or open you all the way up in order to have enough room to work. Your surgeon may be different but I'd rather be safe than sorry... plus you get a jump start on your new diet and lifestyle for after the surgery. I would really consider contacting your doctor ASAP since your surgery date is so close.

no pre-op diet was given to me and that means right up to surgery date. I was told nothing to eat or drink after midnight the day before surgery. I thought it was odd too because when I had my lapband I was given a pre-op but, this bariatric group does not. The PA I saw said she's trying to change that with this group. She thinks they should have one. I'm going to do one anyway just because I want my liver to shrink as much as possible so the surgeon can move it out of the way and not run into issues. My date is 7/11 so starting tomorrow I'm doing 2 shakes and one small meal for Sunday and Monday and for Tuesday the day before my surgery all liquids.

My group puts their patients on a strict 10 day diet. But the group a county over doesn't. So I wouldn't worry.

I am on pre-op 2 week liquid diet now for surgery scheduled for July 12, 2012. Needless to say I am tired of tomatoe Soup. My husband just had it done on July 5 and he also did 2 week liquid diet to shrink liver. He is doing good. Just tired which is understandable. Just happy we are doing this together. :D

I I start my 2 week pre-op diet this Friday. The whole reason behind it is to shrink and thin out ur liver because with it being big it's harder to maneuver around it in surgery plus if they have to fold it over there is a bigger chance of it cracking and bleeding. That is what my surgeon told me. I'm not on an all liquid diet tho I Just have certain foods that I can eat plus I can't go over 600-800 calories.