Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been told that they had a fatty liver when they had their ultrasound done? I know why I have a fatty liver...bad eating habits, but can I reverse that substantially prior to surgery??? I probably won't have my surgery until mid to late March. If I start eating a low-fat diet, will this help??

No, but after my lapband surgery, Dr. Sanchez said my liver was fatty. Don't know what to do about it, I didn't ask. I've lost 60 pounds so I hope that's helping it some.

I knew I had a fatty liver prior to surgery and when I asked about reducing it with a certain diet before surgery the doctor said NO - nothing you can do a couple of weeks before surgery will help skrink your liver. He did tell me to just eat wisely and not to binge.

Hello, I have a fatty liver along with transient bumps in my liver enzymes. It is called Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease or NAFLD and it is usually asymptomatic. However, it can progress to NASH or Nonalcoholic Steaotic Hepatitis. It is thought to be related to obiesty, diabetes and insulin resistance. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, so insulin resistance is most likely the cause of a lot of my issues. NAFLD can progess to NASH which in approximately 50% of patients progresses to liver fibrosis. Approximately 3% of patients with NASH will develop liver failure.

The good news about this is that although liver cells to not regenerate, having a substatial weight loss can decrease the amount of fat stored in the liver. Which, in turn, would decrease the likelihood of progression to more serious liver issues.

I was told I have a fatty liver as well. I am now on a strict diet, consisting primarily of Optifast and a serving of raw or steamed greens, before my surgery so that I do not run into any liver complications. My Dr. did tell me that this would shrink my liver and get rid of a lot of the fat. What my Dr. said was picture foie gras and that is what a fatty liver is like. Gross! Anyway he said a couple weeks on this and my liver will start to go back into shape and be less of a risk during surgery.

I have a fatty liver too. I didn't realize they considered it a risk!

Dame, when is your surgery?

Good luck. I hope the diet works. :D

My Surgery is Feb 9th. I asked if the fatty liver was a risk and he said that a good Dr wont have a problem but why take the risk. Because they do have to move around the liver to get around where they need he said it would be easier to move if it was not so fatty. He puts all his patients on the same diet for that reason. At least that is what I was told. :D

Ha ha, we had the fatty liver reason when I went for surgery in chimay. That was why we had to stay on natuyral yogurt the week before. I didn't manage that never being a fan of yogurt and I still had my op.

Mind you my sister said because I have suffered a couple of Pulmonary Embolisms in my life my liver isn't going to be the healthiest whatever I do, the blood clots cause damage in the liver.

My advice is not to stress about it, it just makes it a little harder for the surgeon but it's not life threatening unless connected to some other illness.

they do have to move around the liver to get around where they need he said it would be easier to move if it was not so fatty. He puts all his patients on the same diet for that reason. At least that is what I was told. :)

That is also what I understood the pre-op diet to be for. To help shrink the liver, so there would be less chance of complication during surgery.

Have you watched a video yet of the actual surgery? It's pretty crazy when you see them lift the liver up off the stomach and that huge clamp thing (retractor?) hold it in place!!!

I had been told that a fatty livery has more of a chance to tear with those thin poles trying to lift them up.

The diet is to try and "firm up" the liver by forcing your body to use the fat from the liver for fuel. A Low to No carb diet is the only way to do it. Force your body into Ketosis for a week or two and it will take the fat from the liver first. The firmer your liver, the less likely your liver will fall apart when they try to lift it.

The tearing thing is rare - but it's serious if it happens. Anything you can do to avoid that is worth the effort.

Yes....I had my ultra sound in November. Then I said--that is it for me. I am going on a diet--but the lap band diet. I thought---mmm...it's time to make a change before age 50 slaps me in the face....I will make 50 in June. I am lucky to have many folks say I look 40....I think I look fatter....

When we talk about being overweight people always think about the fat being on the outside but it is in fact on the inside too.

When you go for a fill, you need greater restriction, esp. after significant weight loss because your stomach (the actual organ) has lost weight.

The problem with a fatty liver is that it makes it very difficult to see the stomach during surgery, it is in the way.

I was put on a low carb diet prior to surgery to decrease the fat.

After surgery I was given a picture of my insides and band taken during the surgery. There were globs of fat hanging on and around my abdomen. Yuck.

Hey Lisa.....I am looking for that all to change. When we took the chance to go through the processes. We were fed up. I am fed up. I am hoping to look better, feel better--more energetic--then on top of it all---rid my body of the fat insides as well as out...

I know this an old post, but did your liver improve? I just got home today, and my Dr. said he almost stopped after he saw my liver was so fatty and enlarged. He said its very reversible, but you must really, pay attention to diet. Otherwise I am looking at diabetes, if not liver failure.