Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

Welcome Marc, Keep price shopping, I had mine done in oregon for 10k.

I rescheduled mine three times, could've been at my goal along time ago.

In regard to your surgery in Oregon if you dont mind would you share the name of who did your surgery and what facility ? 10,000 is reasonable.

Did they require you to be overnight ?

Did you feel you were well cared for and attended to there ?

Again - thank you for sharing.

Marc

Hey bugfather, I live in Oregon and when I checked on prices for self pay they were a lot more then $10,000..more like 16 to 20 grand..I 'm very happy on my decision to go to TJ Mexico and get my band with Dr. Kuri, after all he is one of the best lapband Dr's around,(USA or Mexico)My Band was $8,500 and no problems.:clap2:

Marc, you should check out Dr. Kuri. I think you will be very happy with him and his staff... Good Luck, Ted

Hey Marc:

I was about $12,000 self pay in Philadelphia but my insurance company seemed to be OK with picking up tab for most of the pre-testing.

PB means productive burping. Its a nice way of saying you ate too much and its going to come back up. Not like an explosive vomit but more like what happens if you chug a beer too fast. (those were the days).

If you eat slow, chew well and don't overeat you will not experience it but as we are all human you cant help but experiment.

As far as overnight, with your sleep apnea you can be assured you WILL be an overnighter.

Good Luck. Get er done!!

Marc from NYC here --

I have been reading all of your post and you all sound great and congradulations on all of your progress wt loss, and return of your self esteem.

I had decided to do this one year ago -- and a situation came up that I could not at that time.

Well I have now realized that it is no longer a choice. I am literally dying -hypertension sleep apnea and have begun an agressive saving plan to have this surgery. The irony of this is that I am in the field of medicine(as a Physician Assistant) in a small office in NYC. We serve the poor and the office does not provide benifits. I am considered to be an excellant clinician but I can not take care of myself. It causes me alot of shame embarassment and guilt.

I may have to have this done in Mexico and frankly do not want to go there - I realize the physicians there are excellant and have been checking them out. It is not Mexico or them it is the fact that if I got into medical trouble I do not have access to them immediately.

Anyone aware of persons here in the states who do banding for non insured patients? The folks at NYU do but I called them and they want 26,000. That is way out of my range.

I have seen on occasion the term PB - what is that ? I see it associated with over eating post banding but do not know what the initials stand for.

Frankly (and I am not suicidal) but sometimes I feel that there is no hope as I can not ( despite many attempts to control) can not control my eating. This has and is rapidly having a great cost and continuing to the ruination of my life. Then I detest the idea that if I were man enough then I could do something.

Well enough for now and hopefully I have no alienated anyone with my raw gut feelings.

My email is silentfades@aol.com.

Again thank you all for sharing - you have encouraged me in a great way.

Marc

Well hello Silentfades, you are not alone, many of us started at the same point of desperation that you say you are at now and many have turned their life around with the use of the band. It is not easy but once you have it adjusted and you learn how to eat (slowly and chewing) then you will not be abole to over eat, period. This is the key for me, I can no longer binge. If I do try to eat too much or eat to quickly then I PB or vomit. It is not the same as a normal vomit because it has not made it down to all of the acids at the bottom of the stomach. It is more like spitting up, it kind of just flows out. There is a whole section on PB's on the board somewhere, have a read.

I was self funded and had my surgery done in Toronto at The Lap Band Clinic (TLBC) for $16,000 Canadian. This also gives you unlimited follow up and fills (nice not to have to pay for each visit).

Be patient with the adjustments, some people never even need a fill, others like myself have had 5 fills and I am only now starting to lose weight as a result of the band. This could be a problem for you if you have it done in another city or country.

I considered it for almost two years before I was banded in April of this year. The cost is so high and I have would have to self fund. Then I read an article on it and the author said, "use some of the money you have put away for retirement, the chances are very good that as a morbidly obese person you will never get to use that money if you do not lose weight". This rang true for me, the decision was made.

I guess the best senerio for you would to be able to get the surgery done inexpensively elsewhere but get fills and other help locally. Ask you local clinic what it would cost for follow up fills etc. Just a thought.

Good luck Silentfades, it is you life to save, no one can do it for you.

Hey Guys

Day three. Feeling much better today, still a little sore and have a little shoulder pain. I went back to work today. Feels good to be back in a routine.

scales this morning said I've lost 24 lbs (including pre-opt diet)

So far I am so glad I had this done. Glad to be a looser:clap2:.

Hey Guys

Day three. Feeling much better today, still a little sore and have a little shoulder pain. I went back to work today. Feels good to be back in a routine.

scales this morning said I've lost 24 lbs (including pre-opt diet)

So far I am so glad I had this done. Glad to be a looser:clap2:.

congrats on your loss so far! don't worry that pain usually goes away withing the week. its just gas. try walking and it will go away faster.

Marc from NYC here --

I have been reading all of your post and you all sound great and congradulations on all of your progress wt loss, and return of your self esteem.

I had decided to do this one year ago -- and a situation came up that I could not at that time.

Well I have now realized that it is no longer a choice. I am literally dying -hypertension sleep apnea and have begun an agressive saving plan to have this surgery. The irony of this is that I am in the field of medicine(as a Physician Assistant) in a small office in NYC. We serve the poor and the office does not provide benifits. I am considered to be an excellant clinician but I can not take care of myself. It causes me alot of shame embarassment and guilt.

I may have to have this done in Mexico and frankly do not want to go there - I realize the physicians there are excellant and have been checking them out. It is not Mexico or them it is the fact that if I got into medical trouble I do not have access to them immediately.

Anyone aware of persons here in the states who do banding for non insured patients? The folks at NYU do but I called them and they want 26,000. That is way out of my range.

I have seen on occasion the term PB - what is that ? I see it associated with over eating post banding but do not know what the initials stand for.

Frankly (and I am not suicidal) but sometimes I feel that there is no hope as I can not ( despite many attempts to control) can not control my eating. This has and is rapidly having a great cost and continuing to the ruination of my life. Then I detest the idea that if I were man enough then I could do something.

Well enough for now and hopefully I have no alienated anyone with my raw gut feelings.

My email is silentfades@aol.com.

Again thank you all for sharing - you have encouraged me in a great way.

Marc

My surgeon is Dr. Kirshenbaum in Aurora, CO right near Denver. You can find his web site in my signature line. He charges $9950. If you want to find out more about him check out a thread on this forum called "Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum." I recommend him.

Good luck getting it all worked out.

In regard to your surgery in Oregon if you dont mind would you share the name of who did your surgery and what facility ? 10,000 is reasonable.

Did they require you to be overnight ? No

Did you feel you were well cared for and attended to there ?

Again - thank you for sharing.

Marc

Dr Tersini North Bend Medical Center - North Bend, Oregon

The care was excellent, he performs the surgery at the local hospital.

But you wont feel like traveling for a couple of days. I stayed at a hotel for 2 nights, then went home.

Hey guys, I go in for surgery at 7:30 am tommorrow. I lost 18 pounds on the 2 week pre-op diet. It was a challange, but I can't wait to get my new life started. Good luck to the rest of you.

Hey guys,

Just had to go pick up a couple pairs of shorts and a few shirts. We took s $h**load of clothes to our WLC for their clothes closet. I've been buying $10 Walmart khakis and the like to get me through, but we went to Kohl's this afternoon as it's pretty close to the house. (Backtrack for a moment here - it's time to shop for school clothes so I had taken DD to pick up a few things last night and found myself a $5 pair of Dockers jeans at Ross so I wanted a shirt that actually fits to go with them). DS had gone and gotten most of his stuff today but still needed socks and underwear. So we all piled in the car and trucked it up to Kohl's. Well, not only did they have a shirt to go with my new pants, but they also had almost everything else in the store on sale, a lot of it on clearance. In addition to the shirt I went there to buy, I found 2 pair of shorts and 3 other shirts. Cheap! PLUS, it sales tax holiday week here in FL! Anyway, the real purpose of this post is the size of the shorts. Are you ready for this?? First understand that the smallest pants I ever remember buying myself were in high school and they were 40s. One of the shorts is a 38 and the other is a 36! And those 40s I was so excited about getting on a week or so ago are actually quite comfy now... Woo hoo!

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd post and say hello. I've been lurking on this board for months.

I'm so glad there's a guy-specific thread here. Not that gals aren't great, but hey, there's that whole Mars-Venus thing.

Oh yeah, and how 'bout my Padres... :)

Thanks guys for sharing your stories. My surgery is slated for Tuesday, Aug. 14 and I am so glad to have found this website. If there is anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, would love hearing from ya!

Thanks again! Look forward to future chats! Let the new life begin...