Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of increasing caloroes. Good idea? Bad idea?

I'M now 9 weeks post op. I've gone from not being able to eat 500 calories to wanting more than 700 calories. I'm not eating junk. I'm doing at least 70 gms of Protein, less than 50 of carbs and they are all complex carbs. No Pasta, bread, sugar. I'm drinking at least 48 oz of Water plus shakes and coffees. I'm taking an antacid everyday. I eat about 2-3 oz of Protein 5 times a day. Still no room for veggies,fruit etc in substantial quantities. But I'm hungry, esp at night. Real hunger, not head hunger. Recently I added a very small amount of walking/jogging/biking. I might burn 150-175 cals with it which is not much but I've gotten hungrier. I've lost 33 lbs in 11 weeks with a 12-day stall at w3 and am currently in a 10+ day stall.

I want to be able to add 100 calories on the days I feel hungry and not worry. But I am concerned that will slow my weight loss down even more. Technically I know that's still a deficit, given that I'm 5'6 and weight 196 lbs but I'm not sure.

I also don't want to be at a very low calorie diet forever and ruin my metabolism any more than it's already jacked up.

I know the logical thing to do is to add it and see what happens but since I'm stalled right now, I'm not sure how I'd know? Would love some advice from others esp about what you did as you were at my weight but even generally how your calories migrated as you were further out from surgery.

Thanks guys.

I'M now 9 weeks post op. I've gone from not being able to eat 500 calories to wanting more than 700 calories. I'm not eating junk. I'm doing at least 70 gms of Protein, less than 50 of carbs and they are all complex carbs. No Pasta, bread, sugar. I'm drinking at least 48 oz of Water plus shakes and coffees. I'm taking an antacid everyday. I eat about 2-3 oz of Protein 5 times a day. Still no room for veggies,fruit etc in substantial quantities. But I'm hungry, esp at night. Real hunger, not head hunger. Recently I added a very small amount of walking/jogging/biking. I might burn 150-175 cals with it which is not much but I've gotten hungrier. I've lost 33 lbs in 11 weeks with a 12-day stall at w3 and am currently in a 10+ day stall.

I want to be able to add 100 calories on the days I feel hungry and not worry. But I am concerned that will slow my weight loss down even more. Technically I know that's still a deficit, given that I'm 5'6 and weight 196 lbs but I'm not sure.

I also don't want to be at a very low calorie diet forever and ruin my metabolism any more than it's already jacked up.

I know the logical thing to do is to add it and see what happens but since I'm stalled right now, I'm not sure how I'd know? Would love some advice from others esp about what you did as you were at my weight but even generally how your calories migrated as you were further out from surgery.

Thanks guys.

I don't think adding just 100 calories will make a huge difference. My weight fluctuates so much through the course of the day that I wouldn't know if I was in a stall even in the middle of one. I sort of "eyeball it" based on the 7-day average the scale has been showing me. By my estimate, I am at your exact weight right now.

You said you're a scientist...give it a try for a few days and carefully record what you're eating and what the results seem to be. Then try without the extra food and see how that works and compare. I understand you'd just be a "case study" and not a sufficient "n" to run stats, but you could measure variance and other such things between your measurements.

But also being 6 weeks out, I find everything seems to work itself out so I just eat when I'm hungry. Some days that works out to 600 calories, others as many as 1200, but I'm consistently loosing weight, so I haven't worried about it too much. One day I even ate a few french fries (gasp)!

I don't think adding just 100 calories will make a huge difference. My weight fluctuates so much through the course of the day that I wouldn't know if I was in a stall even in the middle of one. I sort of "eyeball it" based on the 7-day average the scale has been showing me. By my estimate, I am at your exact weight right now.

You said you're a scientist...give it a try for a few days and carefully record what you're eating and what the results seem to be. Then try without the extra food and see how that works and compare. I understand you'd just be a "case study" and not a sufficient "n" to run stats, but you could measure variance and other such things between your measurements.

But also being 6 weeks out, I find everything seems to work itself out so I just eat when I'm hungry. Some days that works out to 600 calories, others as many as 1200, but I'm consistently loosing weight, so I haven't worried about it too much. One day I even ate a few french fries (gasp)!

I should also point out that before surgery, I was averaging between 3000-5000 calories a day, and wasn't gaining or losing weight at that amount. So for me, even 1200 is a profound reduction and I figure if it takes me 3000 to maintain (at my previously higher weight,) 1200 is probably still low enough to lose.

I've found the post-bariatric diet to induce ketogenesis fairly constantly. I've confirmed it with those Keto-sticks you can get at the pharmacy. Given the way the reagent strips react, I figure my body must certainly be breaking down fatty-acids for fuel. Maybe you get some of those and see if you are in a ketogenic state.

I should also point out that before surgery, I was averaging between 3000-5000 calories a day, and wasn't gaining or losing weight at that amount. So for me, even 1200 is a profound reduction and I figure if it takes me 3000 to maintain (at my previously higher weight,) 1200 is probably still low enough to lose.

I've found the post-bariatric diet to induce ketogenesis fairly constantly. I've confirmed it with those Keto-sticks you can get at the pharmacy. Given the way the reagent strips react, I figure my body must certainly be breaking down fatty-acids for fuel. Maybe you get some of those and see if you are in a ketogenic state.

Give it a try and see how you do. I know by my 3 month appointment my NUT upped my calories to 1000. I am over 6 months out now and still rarely get to 1000. Thats not saying I am not hungry though. Because I do get hunger :( I just try my damnest to ignore the big meanie ;)

Good luck to you! You sound like you're doing great and I love your recipes. I haven't tried any yet, but I hope to soon!

Give it a try and see how you do. I know by my 3 month appointment my NUT upped my calories to 1000. I am over 6 months out now and still rarely get to 1000. Thats not saying I am not hungry though. Because I do get hunger :( I just try my damnest to ignore the big meanie ;)

Good luck to you! You sound like you're doing great and I love your recipes. I haven't tried any yet, but I hope to soon!

My 27 day stall broke when I added calories. I was averaging 500-650 a day (with an 850 calorie limit) and now I am eating 650-900 with a 1000 cal limit.

I've lost 6 pounds this week breaking my stall. :blink:

Real hunger, not head hunger.

I've never been able to tell the difference, but wanted to be able to. What does head hunger feel like vs. "real hunger." I'm not sure if I experience both or if I mistakenly perceive it all as real hunger when it's not.

Real hunger, not head hunger.

I've never been able to tell the difference, but wanted to be able to. What does head hunger feel like vs. "real hunger." I'm not sure if I experience both or if I mistakenly perceive it all as real hunger when it's not.

I think (for what it's worth since I'm no expert!) it's ok to add more calories. I'm reading a book right now that has convinced me that a) starvation mode does exist, and B) weight loss isn't as simple as calories in vs. calories out. It's by Gary Taubes, and it's a summary of research on obesity done with humans and animals all the way back to the 1700's. I'm loving the book and finding it fascinating, but the bottom line it seems is that eating carbs causes us to gain weight because of the insulin response. So, given the fact that you're already keeping your carbs low AND healthy, I think you're probably ok to go up 100 calories. Others will say that we need to keep our calories in that ultra low range, but for me, I'm just not convinced it's something we can maintain long term. Especially if you're in a stall! Sheesh, how can you stall with only eating that many calories? It may be starvation mode. Mind you, I think stalls once in awhile for a week or two are normal--the body is programmed to hold onto weight, and is going to fight us every step of the way. But if it's longer than a week or two, that doesn't sound right!

Now to contradict myself... One thing that happened to me a few weeks ago when I started increasing my calories is that it triggered some head hunger in me. Seeing the numbers go up on My Fitness Pal caused emotional upheaval that I wasn't ready for--guilt, anxiety, shame, cravings, etc. But that's me, and I'm the first to admit that I am really messed up when it comes to food. So this may not happen to you, or anyone else, but it was something that I had to deal with and am still trying to fight. I wish I'd stayed in the "safe" post-op zone, when I didn't have to make decisions and deal with my demons. I'm so much better at following strict rules and restrictive dieting than I am at moderation! But again, that's just me--because I'm messed up. I think for a "normal" person, it's perfectly fine to increase your calories to a comfortable level, provided you're still meeting your protein/carbs/etc guidelines.

Good luck, whatever you decide!! :)

I think (for what it's worth since I'm no expert!) it's ok to add more calories. I'm reading a book right now that has convinced me that a) starvation mode does exist, and B) weight loss isn't as simple as calories in vs. calories out. It's by Gary Taubes, and it's a summary of research on obesity done with humans and animals all the way back to the 1700's. I'm loving the book and finding it fascinating, but the bottom line it seems is that eating carbs causes us to gain weight because of the insulin response. So, given the fact that you're already keeping your carbs low AND healthy, I think you're probably ok to go up 100 calories. Others will say that we need to keep our calories in that ultra low range, but for me, I'm just not convinced it's something we can maintain long term. Especially if you're in a stall! Sheesh, how can you stall with only eating that many calories? It may be starvation mode. Mind you, I think stalls once in awhile for a week or two are normal--the body is programmed to hold onto weight, and is going to fight us every step of the way. But if it's longer than a week or two, that doesn't sound right!

Now to contradict myself... One thing that happened to me a few weeks ago when I started increasing my calories is that it triggered some head hunger in me. Seeing the numbers go up on My Fitness Pal caused emotional upheaval that I wasn't ready for--guilt, anxiety, shame, cravings, etc. But that's me, and I'm the first to admit that I am really messed up when it comes to food. So this may not happen to you, or anyone else, but it was something that I had to deal with and am still trying to fight. I wish I'd stayed in the "safe" post-op zone, when I didn't have to make decisions and deal with my demons. I'm so much better at following strict rules and restrictive dieting than I am at moderation! But again, that's just me--because I'm messed up. I think for a "normal" person, it's perfectly fine to increase your calories to a comfortable level, provided you're still meeting your protein/carbs/etc guidelines.

Good luck, whatever you decide!! :)

I should also point out that before surgery' date=' I was averaging between 3000-5000 calories a day, and wasn't gaining or losing weight at that amount. So for me, even 1200 is a profound reduction and I figure if it takes me 3000 to maintain (at my previously higher weight,) 1200 is probably still low enough to lose. I've found the post-bariatric diet to induce ketogenesis fairly constantly. I've confirmed it with those Keto-sticks you can get at the pharmacy. Given the way the reagent strips react, I figure my body must certainly be breaking down fatty-acids for fuel. Maybe you get some of those and see if you are in a ketogenic state.[/quote']

My understanding is that the ketostix work at the beginning of low carb diets but later, different things are released and the stix don't pick up on them. Suffice it to say, my breath is a clue that I'm shedding ketones!