Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional ups and downs after surgery?

How long after surgery did you guys cycle up and down emotionally? I've gone from being Pollyanna and nauseatingly cheerful for the last few days to feeling like I've just had the soul sucked out of me this morning. NOTHING is wrong, life is good, work is good, home life is fantastic, both my kids will be home today, we're going to the state fair tomorrow, objectively speaking, all is well.

But if I could, I'd just stay in bed today.

I"m 8-9 weeks out, and it's still a week to my period so that's not it. Made myself get up and exercise hoping the endorphins would kick in, but nothing yet. I expected it at first after the surgery but am a bit surprised at it this late into it.

Is this common?

When you lose weight rapidly, that fat releases stored estrogen and who knows what else. It triggers alot of emotions. I am not sure how long that happened for me... it came and went.

I had a few surprises.. i had gone through menopausse early with relatively few symptoms. After I lose about 120# I started having SOME menopause symtoms because my estrogen finally dropped low enough to experience them! Who knew? All that fat... no wonder obese women are more prone to breast cancer.

Later on in the journey, I went through alot more emotional ups and downs related to body image... rapid changes... the body changed faster then the brain did.

It has been a rollercoaster at times, but all in all - really good. Just remind yourself to stay calm, take a breathe, and know that just like a teenager, sometimes it is the body chemicals causing havoc! Meditation, yoga and some things like that can help center you if you feel like you need some non food coping strategies.

When you lose weight rapidly, that fat releases stored estrogen and who knows what else. It triggers alot of emotions. I am not sure how long that happened for me... it came and went.

I had a few surprises.. i had gone through menopausse early with relatively few symptoms. After I lose about 120# I started having SOME menopause symtoms because my estrogen finally dropped low enough to experience them! Who knew? All that fat... no wonder obese women are more prone to breast cancer.

Later on in the journey, I went through alot more emotional ups and downs related to body image... rapid changes... the body changed faster then the brain did.

It has been a rollercoaster at times, but all in all - really good. Just remind yourself to stay calm, take a breathe, and know that just like a teenager, sometimes it is the body chemicals causing havoc! Meditation, yoga and some things like that can help center you if you feel like you need some non food coping strategies.

Yeah it's easy for me to disregard it because I know it's hormones/chemicals. It caught me off guard this morning.

Fortunately for me, when I get stressed I can't eat so that's one good thing! I used to eat out of boredom or the need for something fun and exciting. Stress and depression don't trigger eating in me thankfully.

It's interesting seeing all the individual answers here. Im personally waiting for the emotional part. Im 3.5 weeks post op and haven't felt any different emotionally yet. Even during the gritty first week of feeling miserable and slight complication from my allergies, I still haven't experienced the emotional ups or downs. I expect Im going to get hit in the face with the crying stick one day soon.

::hugs:: to those of you could use it.

How long after surgery did you guys cycle up and down emotionally? I've gone from being Pollyanna and nauseatingly cheerful for the last few days to feeling like I've just had the soul sucked out of me this morning. NOTHING is wrong' date=' life is good, work is good, home life is fantastic, both my kids will be home today, we're going to the state fair tomorrow, objectively speaking, all is well. But if I could, I'd just stay in bed today. I"m 8-9 weeks out, and it's still a week to my period so that's not it. Made myself get up and exercise hoping the endorphins would kick in, but nothing yet. I expected it at first after the surgery but am a bit surprised at it this late into it. Is this common?[/quote']

OMG you're quoting my life!!! My poor hubby has been amazing but it's crazy how I am a roller coaster emotionally speaking. Some days I feel absolutely wonderful...today I've done nothing but lie in bed and cover my head (that's where I am right now!). I don't want to get up or do anything and that makes me feel positively LAZY! Hubby is working, kiddos are at school...I'm being a bum:(

OMG you're quoting my life!!! My poor hubby has been amazing but it's crazy how I am a roller coaster emotionally speaking. Some days I feel absolutely wonderful...today I've done nothing but lie in bed and cover my head (that's where I am right now!). I don't want to get up or do anything and that makes me feel positively LAZY! Hubby is working, kiddos are at school...I'm being a bum:(

That's exactly what I want to do. My husband and I were sleeved the same day, so he goes through some of it from time to time as well. I tell him as long as we're not both down the same day, we're doing okay.

Feels like I'm trudging through wet sand today. Ugh.

Well, I hope you can feel better soon...at least it doesn't STAY this feeling 24/7...just feels horrible when it does. And yes, I would hope you and hubby don't feel bad on the same day - might not be good for the kiddos :-)

Okay now I feel stupid.

Just saw the calendar, and the light-bulb went on. It's my mom's birthday. She would have been 75. Died too young at 56 years old. And 19 years later, I still miss her something fierce. So THAT is apparently what's going on with me today.

Sigh. You know how in the old days, we'd think everything was about our weight? Now I think we believe everything is about our surgery!

Okay now I feel stupid. Just saw the calendar' date=' and the light-bulb went on. It's my mom's birthday. She would have been 75. Died too young at 56 years old. And 19 years later, I still miss her something fierce. So THAT is apparently what's going on with me today. Sigh. You know how in the old days, we'd think everything was about our weight? Now I think we believe everything is about our surgery![/quote']

I'm so sorry to hear that. I cannot fathom what you feel, my mom is still with me.