Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breaking up protein?

I was at GNC tonight and the clerk made a comment about breaking up the 50g in the Isopure because it all doesn't get absorbed. Anyone do this? I don't have access to a NUT so I'm asking here. He suggested breaking up scoops throughout the day. I've been drinking the full scoop in the AM and then getting the rest in my Protein in with foods and a shakeology at night. TIA!

I also drink the ispoure Protein. I have one scoop earlier in the day and the other half of the serving later on in the day. I split it up because it helps to curb my appetite.

How are the shakology shakes? I thought about trying them in the past.

I was told (and I've read elsewhere) that the body can only absorb about 30 grams of Protein at a time, so breaking it up is a better idea than chugging (like we can!) it all at once.

That's what makes sense to me. :D

I can't chug it. It takes me about an hour to drink the 12oz shake. I will start to break it up.

I loved shakeology before, but now it's really hard to finish. I like the chocolate, but now it's almost too sweet and gritty. It's great for bathroom support though. There's only 17g Protein. I kind of force myself because I like the bathroom help. I've also mixed it with almond milk. Maybe I should try Water.

That's what makes sense to me. :D

I can't chug it. It takes me about an hour to drink the 12oz shake. I will start to break it up.

I loved shakeology before' date=' but now it's really hard to finish. I like the chocolate, but now it's almost too sweet and gritty. It's great for bathroom support though. There's only 17g Protein. I kind of force myself because I like the bathroom help. I've also mixed it with almond milk. Maybe I should try Water.[/quote']

How far along postop are you now? Im a month out and still trying to get the eating right.

I think Sleeved in Seattle is correct. Tosca Reno states in her Clean Eating diet book that the body can only absorb and use about 25-30g at a sitting. For me, at about 10 weeks out, a 30g, 11oz Protein shake takes me about an hour to finish. I AssUMe... that since it takes me so long to finish, I can probably get away with servings of Protein that are greater than that, since it might take enough time for me to finish that it's almost like 2 sittings instead of 1. I actually try to get my protein content in any smoothies I make higher than 30 grams for the simple fact that I know I'm going to spend the next 2-3 hours trying to finish it off. I'll also frequently put the last 1/2 or less back in the fridge and bring it back out to finish it sometime in the afternoon as a snack because seriously, I never realized how boring it would be to eat on the same thing for HOURS... One of the first times I realized that fun little fact, I noticed that I had been having a staring contest with my Protein Shake for several minutes. Someone walked by my desk and started laughing at me and told me that was exactly how his dad looked at his Ensure drinks when he was battling cancer. Good times...

Wish you the best!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-and-use-from-one-meal/#axzz2gjZamnkx

It is much more complicated, and depends on body composition, activity level and what you're mixing your Protein with. It's a good read.

I was revised on 9/5 so I'm at a month too.

That was an interesting read. I'm kind of middle of the road. Lol. I will start breaking my shakes up. I get Protein primarily from the shakes since.

I wonder how it is with shakes when a person is months out?