Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Age and surgery

I'm 40 years old and had my surgery September 25, 2013 in TJ Mexico. I am 3 wks 3 days post op and have lost 33 lbs. as of today! I guess my stall broke. Yay!

I'm 35. I had my surgery on Sept 27, 2013 in Mexico. My doctor was Dr. Alvarez. I have lost 46 pounds including pre op diet.

I had surgery Nov 2012, 2 days after my 66th birthday. I am down 85 lbs. what a treat it is to go shopping in the regular sizes. So many choices now. A lot of knee and back pain are almost non existent. I'm so glad I did this. Diabetes is under control with a lot less insulin. A1C was just 6.2 the other day and I was so happy. Never to late to start your life over.

I'm 40 years old and had my surgery September 25, 2013 in TJ Mexico. I am 3 wks 3 days post op and have lost 33 lbs. as of today! I guess my stall broke. Yay!

thats my surgery date as well. i'm stuck at like 28lbs lol i'm in a stall right now

This is my one-week anniversary! Dr Garcia & everyone in Tj was great, and I was sleeved Monday 5 pm. I had a lot of nausea thru Tuesday, but it passed and every day has gotten better. No major pain, really, just sore and tire easily. Flew home Thursday, to find we have two sets of company visiting this week! Agh! No visitors for months and now TWO decide to come THIS WEEK??? I'm just telling them I've had some stomach upset lately so I'm eating Soups & shakes. haha

Other than the tiredness factor, all is good now. I've had to sleep in a recliner cause I can't sleep on my side yet (and I never can sleep on my back), but I slept a couple hours on my right side last night so that's better. And today at one week I finally feel more like myself again, so the worst is past for this 60-year-old. Yeay!

I'm already down 14 lbs!! from my starting weight, even with the Water weight (IVs etc) that I can still see I have, so I'm glad it's done! (wasn't too sure on that first post-op day!) I haven't seen even this weight in 5-7 years, so I'm happy!

The next few months are going to be interesting, to say the least!

I am 67 and so glad to find other "mature" people here. My surgery date is 11/11/2013 in Seattle. I am self-pay and my "liver shrinking" diet will start on the 28th. I have a class on Thursday to see what that diet consists of. I weigh 253 and the primary driver for me doing the surgery is my knees. They both need replacement and the orthopedic surgeon won't operate unless I lose weight.

Hi Sharonhale461 I hope your pre-surgery diet and then the surgery go very well. I empathize about the knees. You are going to feel a lot better as you lose weight! the major reason why I had wls was to get relief for my aching knees. MD said that I needed knee replacements on both, but I was convinced that the pain might have SOMETHING to do with the fact that I was carrying around 120 extra pounds (that is like 25 bags of sugar, or four huge bags of dog food, or five boxes of kitty litter). now that I have lost most of the weight, I don't have much knee pain. As you lose the weight, you may find yourself feeling better even without the knee surgery.

Hi Sharonhale461 I hope your pre-surgery diet and then the surgery go very well. I empathize about the knees. You are going to feel a lot better as you lose weight! the major reason why I had wls was to get relief for my aching knees. MD said that I needed knee replacements on both, but I was convinced that the pain might have SOMETHING to do with the fact that I was carrying around 120 extra pounds (that is like 25 bags of sugar, or four huge bags of dog food, or five boxes of kitty litter). now that I have lost most of the weight, I don't have much knee pain. As you lose the weight, you may find yourself feeling better even without the knee surgery.

If that miracle happens, I will be very happy. I am walking with a cane now, so would love relief.

I am 67 and so glad to find other "mature" people here. My surgery date is 11/11/2013 in Seattle. I am self-pay and my "liver shrinking" diet will start on the 28th. I have a class on Thursday to see what that diet consists of. I weigh 253 and the primary driver for me doing the surgery is my knees. They both need replacement and the orthopedic surgeon won't operate unless I lose weight.

63 years old here. And to clarify, I am old but not very mature!

63 years old here. And to clarify, I am old but not very mature!

Well, maturity is in the eye of the beholder. I am aiming at being neither "old" or "mature".

Well' date=' maturity is in the eye of the beholder. I am aiming at being neither "old" or "mature".[/quote']

68 and had surgery yesterday. So far so god.feeling sore today because the doctor found a haitial hernia and took care of it. Pain meds really helps.

68 and had surgery yesterday. So far so god.feeling sore today because the doctor found a haitial hernia and took care of it. Pain meds really helps.

Congrats, akusah. I'm 64 and two weeks post op. My doc found I had a hiatal hernia too. My recovery has been amazing. Once you get past the first few days, it just gets better and better. Good luck!

I'm 11 days post-op and also amazed at how good I'm feeling! The first couple of days were rough due to nausea, but every day since then has been better. I'm almost feeling 'normal' again!

Hope you are feeling just as good now that your hernia is also healing.

I will be 65 in December. I was sleeved just a couple of weeks after I turned 64. I do not think I would have lived this long without the surgery. I am as strong as I was in my 20's. If I had a more resilient spine I would be unstoppable, :D

i am 60 and looking forward to my sleeve surgery.My band has eroded and have to remove it.