Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less activity

Hi, Babalou,

The pain I experienced with my knees made me want a sleeve (besides my other co-morbidities). Now, after my sleeve, I can get up out of a chair without a struggle. I just ... get up! NO pain. No meds. It still amazes me. I was so afraid that someday I would have had to have had a knee replacement. But I think sleeve surgery has put that off ... maybe forever if I am lucky. The difference in my knee pain level is significant and I encourage you to envision yourself not only weighing less but in bounding out of chairs and walking with ease. I used to humorously sign off my emails to friends with "Got to waddle," instead of "Got to run." Now, I can write, "Got to run!" and mean it.

Cococat: Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, our circumstances are different. I have always been "knock-kneed"--it shows in old photographs in the '60's. The orthopedic surgeon told me that at my age, my knees would be shot anyway, regardless of my weight. Explains why my normal sized grandparents all walked with canes. I thought it was a fashion statement--instead it was just bad genetics. But loosing the weight will certainly make the surgery go easier, then maybe I can get up and go. And I do have a nice collection of old walking sticks!

Since you are farther along this road than me, may I ask if you are considering plastic surgery on you stomach--or maybe you won't even need it?

So sorry about the need for knee surgery no matter what.

About skin surgery: At this point it is not an issue, but I anticipate needing it in the future ... if I am lucky to loose enough weight. They say not to have excess skin surgery until a year or 18 months after having the sleeve, so I am going to wait until that time and see what must be done. But, being over 60 and losing weight means things will inevitably sag and need taking in. That's what I get for letting things get out of hand. So far, my neck looks a bit loose. I was never a beauty, so trying to be the cutest grandma has not been my goal. I am so thankful for the health benefits, I am not concentrating on the aesthetics of the thing yet. Maybe someday down the line, I will. We will see.

Cococat: I like your attitude. I will be happy just not to be the BIGGEST grandma in the room. I will probably have my knees done before plastic surgery--but I would like to be able to see them first. I am just excited about the loss of weight, and am thinking ahead. I think I am going to be shaped like a bowling pin--tiny head, flat boobs, and a large base. Oh, well, I already know my family does't love me for my looks or money. And like you said, no one to blame but myself. Keep in touch. Charlene

Diane63--Hope everything went well for you, and that your recovery is smooth.

For decades (30 years) I've taken ibuprofen or Aleve twice daily for my arthritic knees. They never were great knees--the miniscus slipped regularly, and I've had arthroscopic surgery on one of them already. There've been months at a time I couldn't walk without a cane. Multiple MRIs I've had of both knees reveal that the joints and areas around the joints are literally full of "gravel" (bits of cartilage that have torn off and around which the body has added mineral deposits).

Two months before surgery I stopped taking all NSAIDs. And yes, my knees hurt like a sonofabitch.

But now, 73 pounds lighter, I still don't take NSAIDs. And my knees do not hurt anymore. I bound around like a much younger version of me. I walk on the treadmill, in the neighborhood, use the elliptical, and can shop 'til I drop.

I don't know what's happened besides the weight loss, but it is probably partly due to me no longer eating so many simple carbs that inflamed the crap out of my body.

So never say never. You can't predict how your body will respond after WLS. I certainly would have never predicted this!

Edited by VSGAnn2014

I also have not taken Ibuprofen or the other non-narcotic pain relievers since I lost weight. I also think that taking in fewer carbohydrates has something to do with it. Less inflamation. This is a very interesting phenomenon ... at least to me.

So, Charlene and others needing knee surgery - not eating carbs and taking off weight might very well affect your pain levels. We will see. Hope so.

Personally I have no idea how sleeve surgery affects fibromyalgia. If you have fibro, it might be interesting to see what happens after you have surgery. Please keep us informed. Thanks.

My fibromyalgia is so much better since my RNY almost one year ago. I have lost 115 pounds and feel like a new person.

I'm 62 and just 3 weeks post op. I started my pre op diet at 502#s and Im aleady down to 432# - 70#s in just 5 weeks. I'm worried about the dreaded 3 week stall but excited to see what its like by 6 months. No real pain or discomfort ever. Came home the day after surgery but really felt like I could have come home the same day. Never used pain meds. Planned it around a holiday and went back to work (desk job) on day 4. Off insulin and blood pressure meds since the surgery. Good luck everybody!

I am 64 and going through the 3 month 1,200 calorie diet. I have my second Dr.s appointment June 2. I have had one partial knee replacement and back surgery. I am hoping to have my sleeve surgery before I have the other knee done. My other knee hurts all the way down my leg so I am afraid it's my back. I may have to go see my orthopedic dr. before June 2. I'm trying to ride my recumbent bike. Don't know if I'm helping or hurting. What if I'm not able to exercise? Will that disqualify me?

I will be 67 when I have my VSG HOPEFULLY 3rd week of June. I have/had relatives who lived well-well into their late nineties. I'd like a chance to do that, too. Have high BP now but I know chances to develop other problems are great if I continue on the path I'm on. Looking forward to continuing this journey I started in mid Feb preoperatively. Hope to get more interest on this forum

Hey TX country boy. I'm a small-town TX girl. Looks like you are doing very well. Keep up the posts. I'm following.

Had my sleeve on 10th. 4 days post op doing pretty well. No pain or anti-nausea med x 2 days. Dr said it was one of "easiest" surgeries he'd done whatever that means! So June will have 2 big days on my calendar, my birthday and my surgery day.