Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

immediate post op diet....help

when did you begin full liquids and any problems?

my surgeon has his band patients on 2 weeks clear and then full liquids for 2 weeks after that and as some posted it just doesnt seem like that is benificial for any reason needless to say it doesnt sound healthy either

please respond with what you did post op

I was on liquids for 2 days after surgery. Then for 3 wks I ate soft/mushy food. From 4 wks on I ate solids but chewed very slow and well. It seems a little extreme that your doctor wants you on liquids for pretty much a month. By 5th week I was starving.

I was on full liquids 2 weeks, mushie/soft foods 2 weeks and now I'm on regular and get my fill at 6 weeks. BUT whether you like it or not follow you dr's orders. I know those who have longer liquid time lose more weight, although its tough try to stick it out. If all else fails call the dr after a week and tell him you're tolerating the Clear Liquids can you move on to full liquids. He might just say go ahead.

I did clear liquids for 2 days, full liquids for 2 weeks, then mushie foods for 2 more weeks.

However, my advice is to follow your doctor's orders. He/she may have reasons we don't know about, and we are all different so maybe there is a reason for it?

Clear liquids for 2 days, thick liquids for 2 or 3 days, mushies for maybe a week, soft foods for a week or two. Something like that. I really can't remember. :rolleyes

I am post op one week today and was given the O.K for soft foods~ the list even said chicken on it (??) but I am sticking with mostly full liquids, cream Soups and yogurts in with Protein Shakes. I did just have a couple of bites of very watery oatmeal with yougurt hopeing that it will help get the wheels turning inside if you know what I mean. I have also noticed quite a range of post op diets, I personally feel you have to listen to your body (as long as you don't end up at a Mc'y D's) If you think you need something a little heavier than clear liquids ask if you can at least have one meal with a full liquid like cream Soup or even a Protein Shake.

Take care

Sara

I have a full 3 weeks post op diet, of creamy Soups, Protein Drinks, etc. I am sticking to it. My surgeon has done over 4000 and has been doing bands since they came out like over 10 years ago is it?

He revised his rules and after all he has seen and experienced with his patients, these are his guidelines now. I bought his book and the rules wdre not as restrictive before. So, if he got stricter, it is for a reason and I don't want to lose my band.

I just want to know I gave it my all and don't want to blow money since i am a self payer

It is my understanding that part of the reason for the clear liquids is because your esophogous(SP) may be swollen, and that is also needs the recovery time, then the soft/mushy phase is so that the area around the band itself also has the time to heal. This is how it has been explained to me by both the surgeon and the nutritionist, so I think this will make it easier for me in my mind to want to follow the diet for the first few weeks. I want to heal properly!

I agree with the majority here. Follow your doctor's rules. Mine is one week of clear liquids. Week two is full liquids which includes Protein Shakes, mash potatoes, cottage cheese, yogurt...'slider foods', then week three on to the mushie stage. I have been ridiculously bored with the clear liquid phase but I focus on the reason why I'm doing it and the goal at the end and suddenly it's not an issue. Still boring...but not an issue...lol Hang in there and good luck with your journey!

I was on a liquid diet for five days before my surgery and a week post (where I am now). 2nd week post I can move to mushies, which means I can have anything that is the consistency of baby food. 3rd week post I will move onto soft foods such as scrambled eggs, chicken salad (who would have thunk it. . . but it's on my list) and things of that nature. 4th week is my try and see period. I am not restricted as far as what I can eat; but it will be a trial and error time where I see what my body will now tolerate!

The funny thing is craving something, when you aren't even hungry! It makes me feel like a super woman. . .I crave things, but I can pass them by because being healthy is much more rewarding!

BTW, I've been craving the Neiman Marcus Cobb salad. . . guess it'll have to wait until December 21st when I hit 4 weeks! I'm surprised my cravings aren't fried catfish and fries! That actually sounds gross to me and I'm only 3 days out. I think that the mental preparation that I did pre-op has really helped with my willpower!

WoW my Surgeon had me on Clear liquids that's ice, Water & tea for the 1st week. Now for the next 2 weeks I can have 3 Protein shakes a day at 1oz every 5 mins plus 64oz Water and other SF liquids but NO bouillons, NO juice, NO Gatorade, NO milk, NO broth, NO Vitamin water. And I started my Vitamins & Calcium.

But needless to say since my band on 11/14/12 I have been doing quit good with the craves. So far NO CRAVES and have been subjected by my EVIL husband & daughter with there craves. So I figure if I can't bet them then I fight in another way. I have been cooking multiple dinners at a time and I have been asking them to taste it and I have NOT been wanting to eat it this will be my own secret will power to loss this weight.