Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens if i follow all the rules?

It seems like every person that I know that has had complications with bariatric surgery, didn't eat properly. They cheated, and then they complained. I know there are always risks in wls, but seriously. If I m very sure to always follow my surgeons guidelines and I work out and make sure to be good, will I still have the chance of gaining back? Will I still get really sick? I have surgery in approximately 3 weeks and the questions are starting to come to mind.

Im 3 weeks post. About 30lbs down. Feel great. You lose it in the face first. Never hungry. I cheated i had the cheese off a slice of pizza. Still Protein.< /p>

Im 3 weeks post. About 30lbs down. Feel great. You lose it in the face first. Never hungry. I cheated i had the cheese off a slice of pizza. Still Protein.

That's so wonderful!!!! Wow!!! So this REALLY does work, lol. I guess I'm just doubting.

It seems like every person has had complications with bariatric surgery, They cheated, and then they complained.

DKeeton

only a small % of people have major complications with surgery

the people you know of/hear about that had issues - their situations stick out in your memory

you don't hear the many, many, many, most stories of all the successful, wonderful surgeries

there are links to threads with people posting their success stories

hopefully someone can send you their (don't know how to) :mellow:

it happens to the best of us, that someone might cheat here or there :(

of course its not good..........but we've had "issues" most of our lives - and unfortunate slip ups can/do happen - briefly

"very nicely" confirming that you aren't judging anyones behavior with food since you haven't been in our shoes yet - haven't had WLS yet

people will follow all the instructions per doc/NUT - but they still will have post op problems like gas, some vomitting et al

people do get leaks too - not their fault

(please please OP - didn't mean to scare you) i'm sure "none" of you will have a leak (if i have anything to say about it) ;)

after you have had the surgery, you still might get sick with your eating / problems drinking

things can/do happen sometimes - even when you follow all the rules

say things are going a long well for you - follow all the important Water rules, chewing, eating slowly, exercise too

you should/will win in becoming a loser :)

since you are determined to follow all the rules for "the rest of your life" - you shouldn'/won't gain any weight :)

things can get a little harder as you are in maintenance, but then again they will be hard while you are getting their too

nothing/most things aren't always easy - even when you follow all the rules :mellow:

good luck with WLS

speedy recovery

kathy

My synposis is that following your diet and guidelines is necessary to avoid trouble---but not sufficient.

Leaks, strictures, nausea, even death occur in people who have done exactly what they should--but as grammy says, only to a small percent of people.

Let's say the rate of complications is 2%. if you stick to the guidelines and follow orders, you, too, have the same 2% rate that everyone else has.*

If you don't, your risk of complication is considerably higher. That's the bottom line.

*Geeky caveat, actually if you stick to it, your risks are LOWER than 2% because that 2% is comprised of people who didn't stick to it and therefore had issues, but that's a sampling issue so I will SERIOUSLY STOP geeking out now!!

Most of us have very few issues with the surgery.

Note that your re-gain question is entirely different. Chances of re-gain are considerably higher than 2% of course. A significant minority DO gain some of the weight back, and some gain all the weight back. Some people regain about 10-15 lbs of the 100 they lost as an example which is apparently quite common. Less common is 100% regain.

There are many factors for that including hormonal disturbances, eating addictions, lack of proper restriction, and fundus re-growth through no one's fault.

There's a certain amount of faith involved in all of this IMHO. We go into it full of hope, hoping we're not that 2%, and that we're not the ones that cannot stay at the lower weights. At the end of the day, we can only do what we always do, which is try and hope and try some more.

Thank you all so much! I know that it's going to be hard because I am so used to eating what I want, even if I diet. I never can buckle down and tell myself no. So I am hoping that finally after such a drastic measure, that I will actually say no. And learn self control. I am hoping I'm one of the success stories. I'm so glad I found this forum!

Thank you all so much! I know that it's going to be hard because I am so used to eating what I want' date=' even if I diet. I never can buckle down and tell myself no. So I am hoping that finally after such a drastic measure, that I will actually say no. And learn self control. I am hoping I'm one of the success stories. I'm so glad I found this forum![/quote']

I changed after the surgery and it wasnt like i had to try. Quit smoking 3 weeks before surgery. Was easy i had no choice. After surgery i drank Powerade zero for like 3 days with pure Protein from costco. Then just started eating eggs, deli meat, fish. And i dont miss the junk. The best part is you feel different after 1 week of losing 20lbs which i did. No more coffee i drink green tea go figure.

Every surgery has some risks but if you choose an experienced surgeon and follow their guidelines carefully these are very small. The risks of obessity are much higher. That is as far as major complications are concerned smaller complication are very common and have happened to everyone i know. i have been very careful about following the rules but still - nausea, vomiting, diarrea - i get them all. but i'm told these will soon pass