Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my first fast today on the 5.2 Diet Plan! Questions.

I've lost 14 lbs. I am beyond excited. I had lost all hope of losing my regain. I was losing and regaining the same 2 lbs for a year.

Yay 5:2!

i just finished 3 fast days (1.5 ) weeks...lost exactly 1.1 kg...thats almost 2.2 lbs... best thing is i broke my stall!!! hope the losing trend continues... :) :)

Do u guys stick to exactly 500 or a lil up & down is cool.. i go a lil paranoid if its 520-30... i knoow its okkk...just need to hear it from someone!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VST

I have not read the 5:2 book and am new to this concept but very intrigued. I am getting the book today and will read up, but my question is: "How can this possibly work?" Isn't weight loss really calories in (minus) calories out? If you follow this program you are really only cutting 1400 calories weekly off what you would normally take in. That isn't even a pound of weight loss! I don't want to sound ignorant just trying to get some further information from those of you that have been on and had success with this plan. I am almost 1 year out and really struggling. I have only lost 84 pounds in the year and feel like I should be further along. I NEED something to kick start my weight loss again and get this party moving. Like many, many folks on here....I am terrified of gaining weight and/or not being successful. Any advice is much appreciated!

I have not read the 5:2 book and am new to this concept but very intrigued. I am getting the book today and will read up' date=' but my question is: "How can this possibly work?" Isn't weight loss really calories in (minus) calories out? If you follow this program you are really only cutting 1400 calories weekly off what you would normally take in. That isn't even a pound of weight loss! I don't want to sound ignorant just trying to get some further information from those of you that have been on and had success with this plan. I am almost 1 year out and really struggling. I have only lost 84 pounds in the year and feel like I should be further along. I NEED something to kick start my weight loss again and get this party moving. Like many, many folks on here....I am terrified of gaining weight and/or not being successful. Any advice is much appreciated![/quote']

I think "calories in and calories out" is the way to think about weight management for the masses. A 101 introductory survey class, per say. However, "calories in and calories out'" really is only one facet of a complex web of hormonal and metabolic interactions within the human body. There are hormones that regulate everything from muscle growth to energy to insulin response. It is far too complex to explain in a short message. If a person has trouble with weight management, they may want to look into the hormonal responses in the body that can be altered with dietary changes, exercise and / or supplementation (Rx or natural). Just an opinion on it.

I've lost 14 lbs. I am beyond excited. I had lost all hope of losing my regain. I was losing and regaining the same 2 lbs for a year. Yay 5:2!

Yay, OD!!!!!!!! You rock!

I have not read the 5:2 book and am new to this concept but very intrigued. I am getting the book today and will read up' date=' but my question is: "How can this possibly work?" Isn't weight loss really calories in (minus) calories out? If you follow this program you are really only cutting 1400 calories weekly off what you would normally take in. That isn't even a pound of weight loss! I don't want to sound ignorant just trying to get some further information from those of you that have been on and had success with this plan. I am almost 1 year out and really struggling. I have only lost 84 pounds in the year and feel like I should be further along. I NEED something to kick start my weight loss again and get this party moving. Like many, many folks on here....I am terrified of gaining weight and/or not being successful. Any advice is much appreciated![/quote']

Yes, I would recommend you look at the research around 5:2. It's not the calorie reduction that is doing the work although it is a factor because on the other days you tend to eat less also. At least I do. It's the "fasting" mode your body is placed in if you follow the guidelines. Also, the healthy living aspect for me is paramount, although I did and am losing (27 lbs) and maintaining that loss now. Check out the information on the benefits of intermittent fasting which is what 5:2 consists of

Good luck.

Okay, here is my track record with 5:2. I would lose 1-2 pounds by end of second fast day. Bounce up a pound or so during my next door feast days then bounce back down next fast and Hold that weight. Then start over at the new low over the next week or so. That happened over and over til I had lost 27 pounds. :). Took me 3 months. And I've held that since 9/8. Still doing 5:2 and will hopefully lose another 4-5 pounds below my goal.

Good luck with the thyroid stuff. That is a major hassle to keep regulated. My friend is struggling with same issue.

Yeppers down up down...

And sometimes it actually stays down!

Then I try for the next lower numbers.

I don't lose every week but I know this is for me because I feel better :)

Thanks girls.... Yes.. I will continue. I will be happy to see the weight stay off. This being my third full week of fasting so this is my 6th day of fasting and 3 full weeks on the program, I realize it is early. I will let you guys know how I did tomorrow. I did order the book to read which also has some recipes in there as well. Can't wait to get it and read the whole thing. Next week the thyroid levels will be checked and I will get that taken care of. Sometimes, it is just increasing or decreasing my meds that help. I've been stuck several times through this journey and my meds have been adjusted twice and I seem to always continue to lose when they get the dosage right. We will see! Everyone on their fast today, have a good day! :)

I don't know why it works but it does. I am telling you , for a solid year, all I did was go up and down , AND freak out.

I think it's because I know if I eat something at night, I have to wait to eat the next day even longer, because I have to have so many hours of no food.< /p>

It cured me of evening snacking.

I no longer believe in calorie math. For me carbs are more important. 5:2 works but I still follow moderate to low carb on normal days and low carb on fast days.

Today is my 3rd fast day...starting my second week of doing 5:2. I am starving this morning. I won't eat until lunch time. I just had some green tea. Hoping the hunger passes quickly.

Today is my 3rd fast day...starting my second week of doing 5:2. I am starving this morning. I won't eat until lunch time. I just had some green tea. Hoping the hunger passes quickly.

Good luck! If you continue to be really hungry early, you might want to do early eating and finish by 7 like the author does so you don't wind up snacking later ????. He does 7-7.