Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting my first fast today on the 5.2 Diet Plan! Questions.

Hello Vets!

Today is my first fast day for the 5.2 diet plan. So, only 500 calories for fast days and 1200 to 1500 for the feast days? Right?? I was wondering if it is ok to have coffee?

I'm so excited to try this diet and new way of eating. I'm so ready to get to goal and I'm praying that this will at least get me started in the right direction. I've gained 3 pounds recently and now am back up to 170 and I'm scared to death. I realize that weight flutuates but also I've not been doing as well as before and I can eat more usual. I know it is up to me to keep this weight off! I never want to go back! NEVER! I've been back and forth to many time in my life.

OK, so again I'm very excited to start this plan and any advice or encouragement is appreciated! Love you guys!! :rolleyes:

Hello Vets!

Today is my first fast day for the 5.2 diet plan. So' date=' only 500 calories for fast days and 1200 to 1500 for the feast days? Right?? I was wondering if it is ok to have coffee?

I'm so excited to try this diet and new way of eating. I'm so ready to get to goal and I'm praying that this will at least get me started in the right direction. I've gained 3 pounds recently and now am back up to 170 and I'm scared to death. I realize that weight flutuates but also I've not been doing as well as before and I can eat more usual. I know it is up to me to keep this weight off! I never want to go back! NEVER! I've been back and forth to many time in my life.

OK, so again I'm very excited to start this plan and any advice or encouragement is appreciated! Love you guys!! :rolleyes:[/quote']

Not sure what "official" Fasdiet says about caffeine. I believe others are drinking coffee. I don't, never have, drunk coffee but I use Crysyal Light Energy which has a small amount of caffeine in it. Hasn't affected me.

Be sure you plan out what you will ha e so you won't be tempted to "graze." Also, if possible make sure you have at least a12 hour window in your day either before, during or after eating. The "fasting" period puts your body into fat burning cycle. Good luck. You can do it!!

Not sure what "official" Fasdiet says about caffeine. I believe others are drinking coffee. I don't, never have, drunk coffee but I use Crysyal Light Energy which has a small amount of caffeine in it. Hasn't affected me.

Be sure you plan out what you will ha e so you won't be tempted to "graze." Also, if possible make sure you have at least a12 hour window in your day either before, during or after eating. The "fasting" period puts your body into fat burning cycle. Good luck. You can do it!!

Thank you so much! :) I'm having a small cup of coffee. Had a Protein shake for Breakfast only because I love them and they make me feel wonderful. I won't eat again until tonight. The shake has 21 grams of Protein and 170 calories. Myoplex Lite. I was drinking premier shakes but am out of them. :/

I appreciate all the encouragement!

First day for me too! Tried posting on the group discussion but am not a full member so I cant ;) So far so good - I've had coffee with 2 T. of organic half & half and am planning a splendid dinner tonight of lean ground turkey or 3 turkey meatballs (my fav). I love Premier Protein shakes too - the entire top shelf of the fridge has a permanent installation of chocolate flavored shakes lol.

Still reading the book and am loving the science so far - feel great, no hunger at all and have been working all morning. Think I might go kick my rump at the gym after I finish my paperwork.

Not focusing on WL but rather CHANGE, and the improved health benefits ;) Planning my next fast day for Thursday.

here is the link to research and other topics on 5:2. I "think" you can view them as non-members. If not, let me know and I will copy some of the links for you. Some good stuff.

Links to 5:2, research and related topics here

First day for me too! Tried posting on the group discussion but am not a full member so I cant ;) So far so good - I've had coffee with 2 T. of organic half & half and am planning a splendid dinner tonight of lean ground turkey or 3 turkey meatballs (my fav). I love Premier Protein shakes too - the entire top shelf of the fridge has a permanent installation of chocolate flavored shakes lol.

Still reading the book and am loving the science so far - feel great, no hunger at all and have been working all morning. Think I might go kick my rump at the gym after I finish my paperwork.

Not focusing on WL but rather CHANGE, and the improved health benefits ;) Planning my next fast day for Thursday.

Sounds as if you are ready! :) I'm doing well so far. Usually at this time I have an iced coffee so I'm missing that but I can have one tomorrow.

How many calories are you allowing yourself on feast days?

Keep in touch with me and we can do this together! Lord knows I need all the encouragement I can get.

Still going to keep my feed days low compared to 'normal' women - going to try to shoot for 1000 to 1200 - which puts fast days very low 250-300.

Lisa you are so close to goal I just know you will get it :)

My normal fast days are Tues/Thurs so I'll be there with you guys on Thurs. And I know, FeedYourEye does Mondays as well.

Seriously, it has been life changing for me! And other vets who were having trouble kickstarting loss again or as with me, figuring out how to lose the regain and manage maintenance!

Gooooooo!!!! You guys rock!

Still going to keep my feed days low compared to 'normal' women - going to try to shoot for 1000 to 1200 - which puts fast days very low 250-300.

Don't think that is a good idea, Chimera. Even though we all (5:2ers) have reduced calorie on feed days (1200-1500) none of us is going below 500 calories on fast days. It works and I think you will likely be better off for the long haul. Just a thought. Also, most days I don't go over 1000-1100 calories EVER.

I tend to agree with Georgia on that being to little calories..

Really I think one of the most important aspects of this method is to have the "resting" period between meals...:)

Oh and I sent you a pm about the group.

I tend to agree with Georgia on that being to little calories..

Really I think one of the most important aspects of this method is to have the "resting" period between meals... :)

Oh and I sent you a pm about the group.

I'd like to join the group as well after the required two weeks of fasting. Let me know if that is possible. :)

I'd like to join the group as well after the required two weeks of fasting. Let me know if that is possible. :)

Glad to hear you are giving the 5:2 a second chance. I think I remember reading last week that you had tried it once before?

And of course you can join! Just pm me after you do it for a couple of weeks or go directly to the group page and put on the request and one of us will approve it :)

Don't think that is a good idea, Chimera. Even though we all (5:2ers) have reduced calorie on feed days (1200-1500) none of us is going below 500 calories on fast days. It works and I think you will likely be better off for the long haul. Just a thought. Also, most days I don't go over 1000-1100 calories EVER.

Agreed! Although if we were to "follow" the plan as written you would be correct, but most of us never go below 500 on a fast day. We usually settle somewhere between 500-600 and that seems to work fairly well for most of us.

Chimera, I LOVE your new profile pic instead of the cartoon. We need to get Dee (Swizzly) on board with that also! ;)

Ohh maybe I should up the calories then for my fasting days. I will make 500-600 may target then, and keep feed days to 1200. I am not so tall, and just had my BMR tested at the gym - they said it is 1638. And my metabolic age is 38 ( woohoo thats 10 years lower than it really is) My husband is quite full of himself after finding out his metabolic age is 21 :)

Thanks for the good advice guys - it is much appreciated! And thank you for the kind words about the profile photo, it feels good to come out of hiding a bit.