Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No soda? Need suggestions...

I thought I would have problems leaving sodas alone but it never bothered me. I'm glad I haven't had any caffeine since my pre op and I quit sodas once for over 4 years so it can be done. The good thing about the pre op diet is that if you follow it majority of your cravings are gone after the 2 weeks. I drink crystal light, and Walmart great value brands and there ok but I do get tired and switch them out or go back to Powerade zero. However I have found that if you put ice in your drinks it goes down smooth. I found this out when I decided to have a strawberitta a while back. My wife still likes to drink diet AW root beer on ice,for some reason giving up soda is not her thing.

My problem was on the days after my really bad meds(think chemo) for my RA. This week was my first shots since my surgery, and my hubby brought me home my typical post shot comfort foods(Coke and pretzels...pretty much the only things I could keep down after the shots before). Still couldn't have them, but I managed to get through without eating or drinking much......feeling more like me today and eating and drinking again....I'm just guessing I will have these two days every week where my intake is drastically diminished......

I gave up sodas about 8 years ago, at first I switched to the Walmart brand flavored waters (for the carbonation) about a month after that those were making me sick and I switched to diet lemonade, unsweetened teas, etc. to this day (pre surgery of course) I would take a sip of my hubby's soda to take a pill or it was the only thing in the car (during drives) and it would upset my stomach....so of course after surgery I don't even look at it!

I was doing very well! But got derailed this week a little. Not too bad, but I couldn't take the headaches, so I gave in. So this week I've had, 2-20 oz bottles and 1.5-2 liters. Still much better than before. But still have a lot of work to do. Doesn't help that I have the stomach flu now, day 3. Ugh!

Almost 5 years ago, I gave up dt. coke, but then when I started nursing school, I started drinking them again. The problem had gotten really bad, but I'm slowing down on them. I have surgery on Nov 11th, so I need to cut them out again.

Is it the carbonation that is the problem for post-surgery?

Almost 5 years ago, I gave up dt. coke, but then when I started nursing school, I started drinking them again. The problem had gotten really bad, but I'm slowing down on them. I have surgery on Nov 11th, so I need to cut them out again.

Is it the carbonation that is the problem for post-surgery?

Yep!

http://www.provostbariatrics.com/weight-loss-surgery-success-life-after-carbonated-drinks/

If you have a Sonic near you, they can make a diet coke slush, no carbonation, and it tastes really close to the same. I have a serious weakness for Dr. Pepper, and will go at happy hour and get a med diet dr pepper slush, sometimes I add cherry or cherry and vanilla. It's amazing. I have also had them make me a root beer slush and when I get home I stir in a few tablespoons of whipped cream, it taste like a root beer float. They can add vanilla to their orange crush, or root beer slushes, making them taste like a dreamsicle or root beer float. I know their slush mix has some sugar, but it gets you away from the carbonation.