Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the early stages of preparing for weight loss surgery; and, I have to say, I am very confused about which one to have. Just out of curiosity would like to hear some of the reasons why some of you chose the sleeve over lapband. I know that everyone is different. Just need input. Looking at surgery date sometime this month.

I am in the early stages of preparing for weight loss surgery; and' date=' I have to say, I am very confused about which one to have. Just out of curiosity would like to hear some of the reasons why some of you chose the sleeve over lapband. I know that everyone is different. Just need input. Looking at surgery date sometime this month.[/quote']

Hi, welcome! The lap band doesn't work long term as well as the sleeve. The lap band may need adjusting which is uncomfortable, and it can slip and cause terrible complications. The most important thing is to find a surgeon who is experienced in both and discuss with them. The more you ask and research, the more you will feel better about your choice.

Thanks. I think the surgical risks are scaring me a little. But, my sister had the lapband and she just hasn't lost all that much. I just think if I'm going to all the trouble of putting myself through this, a year later, I want to SEE the results.

I've had lap band since 2004. I spent 2 years trying to get it adjusted. Put Fluid in, take it out 3 days later because I can't even keep Water down, etc. This gets expensive after a while, interferes with work, etc.

Then there is the stuck food.... you can be sitting at a restaurant with a bunch of people, and all the sudden you're running to the bathroom to throw up, and hope you make it...

After this, and more issues, I gave up on the band and had all the Fluid taken out. It has been just "there" for around 6 years now... A few weeks ago, I met up with a friend who I hadn't seen in many years. She has had gastric bypass, lost over 100 pounds, and is doing great. After spending several days with her and hearing her positive feedback, I came home and started doing research.

I kept finding forums and websites, blogs and youtube videos from people who had great success with the sleeve. I liked the idea of the sleeve, versus the bypass because of not having to rearrange my intestines. Although I think the bypass is probably a great procedure for a lot of people, my friend included, I really like the idea of the sleeve.

I am finally getting the band removed, and hopefully if there is no damage or stomach erosion from it, I will be able to have the sleeve during the same surgery on Oct 1 next month.

From one person who knows, I would strongly encourage you NOT to get the band.

Terry

Thanks. I think the surgical risks are scaring me a little. But' date=' my sister had the lapband and she just hasn't lost all that much. I just think if I'm going to all the trouble of putting myself through this, a year later, I want to SEE the results.[/quote']

I can't stress enough about how important it is to have a surgeon experienced in the sleeve. I read a Lot and the really good surgeons have almost a perfect track record of no complications, I would recommend reading the book called emotional first aid for the bariatric surg pt or close to that. The surgery is a tool to help, we still have to change our exercise habits and become more active, and make the right food choices. The sleeve helps with hunger and Portion Control, especially the first year...

Thanks. I think the surgical risks are scaring me a little. But' date=' my sister had the lapband and she just hasn't lost all that much. I just think if I'm going to all the trouble of putting myself through this, a year later, I want to SEE the results.[/quote']

I started out thinking I was going to have the lap band but after meeting with my surgeon I decided on the sleeve. I have 3 more months before surgery. I've gone from all gun ho to scared senseless. I'm glad I've had time to do my research. You should too. Search lapband revisions and see what other people post and ask them why they decided to have revisions to sleeve. Good luck with whichever surgery you decide on. Also you may want to go to some support groups. They really helped me decide.

I can't stress enough about how important it is to have a surgeon experienced in the sleeve. I read a Lot and the really good surgeons have almost a perfect track record of no complications, I would recommend reading the book called emotional first aid for the bariatric surg pt or close to that. The surgery is a tool to help, we still have to change our exercise habits and become more active, and make the right food choices. The sleeve helps with hunger and Portion Control, especially the first year...

That is why I chose the sleeve to begin with was because of the portion control and the hunger. The portion control is a biggie for me. I eat ALL the right things just too much of it.

When I started looking into WLS, I dove into the medical journals, and discovered that the lap band has a complication rate of about 15%. That means that 15 out of 100 patients will have a significant complication! The sleeve complication rate is about 1% and is even less with an experienced surgeon. I also got scared at the malabsorption issues and the dumping syndrome that comes with by pass surgery. So the sleeve made the most sense for me. I have had a nice steady weight loss for the past 3 months and have lost 55 pounds, so I am feeling like I made the right decision for me.

I wanted a permanent change.

I didn't want a foreign object left in my body.

I didn't want my intestines changed.

My surgeon says their group takes way more bands out than they are putting in nowadays. I actually went to the new patient class leaning toward the band. Through researching, and meeting a few ppl who have had band to sleeve revisions, I decided on the sleeve. Also, the people I know that have the band and like it, don't seem like they lose that much weight.

My surgeon says their group takes way more bands out than they are putting in nowadays. I actually went to the new patient class leaning toward the band. Through researching, and meeting a few ppl who have had band to sleeve revisions, I decided on the sleeve. Also, the people I know that have the band and like it, don't seem like they lose that much weight.

Wow, my stuff looks about like yours...started about the same time and now awaiting final approval from insurance as of last thursday.

I’d known about gastric bypass for quite a few years & would have met the criteria for coverage by my insurance, but, especially as a nurse, I’m just not comfortable with the malabsorption aspects. So I was resigned to living the rest of my life like this. But I’ve had increasing problems with arthritis in my knees & pain in my right sacroiliac joint. I can’t walk for very long without having to sit for a few minutes while the pain subsides, so last fall I did more research & learned about the sleeve gastrectomy. It just sounded like I've thought might be a good idea several years ago. I just wish I could have had it done 20 or 30 or 40 years ago!

I had the band in 2009 and hit the wall with weight loss, despite adjustments, exercising, eating as well as I could. I am also a nurse and having flare ups of arthritis in my knees. I had the band emptied when I got gastritis with reflux, and the endo showed some inflammation in my pouch of stomach above the band, which my doc thinks may be from medications. I have never liked the idea of having my guts rearranged and am concerned about malabsorption, especially when I become elderly. I became enthusiastic about the sleeve when my surgeon discussed the appetite stimulant ghrelin and how its peaks before mealtimes and at night are decreased and leveled off when that portion of the stomach is removed. I work evening shift and am a night eater, so that will be a real plus for me! (Ghrelin also is involved with mood, memory and learning, so I am trying to find out the effects of having the sleeve, if any, on those functions.) I am scheduled to be sleeved in October.

I had lap band in 2006 and loved it ! I lost all my weight and have kept it off with the exception of 20lbs that I let creep back on knowing I was going to revise to the sleeve. I have never once regretted my decision for the band. It changed my life. Many people have been unsuccessful just as with every other procedure out there, you have to find what works for you. I am revising because I'm ready for a change and a new stage in my life. Iv had some issues with things getting stuck and some reflux on and off at times but overall my experiences have been positive. At this point my concerns are more about the band 20 yrs from now and what it could do to my stomach over time.

I choose the sleeve for a number of reasons. First, I know a few people who had GB and all had less than successful outcomes. One even died from complications. This is not to imply that GB doesn't work for some but I don't personally know of any long term success stories. I looked into the lap band but was uncomfortable with the idea of a port and frequent injections to adjust it. A few years later I read so much about how it is not a long-term/permanent solution. I have a girlfriend who was banded 2 months before I was sleeved. Not only have I lost twice as much but I didn't understand her logic about the band being removable or temporary (she only wants to be skinny temporarily?). When I researched all the choices, I found the sleeve to beast acceptable. It's not perfect- what if I need that 85% of my stomach someday- but it was ultimately the best choice for me. Follow your heart. Good luck whatever you decide.