Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi Bronnie, If you go back several pages in this thread you will see that I had been having stomach aches from maybe drinking or eating too fast. It really is all trial and error. Also I found that your band behaves differently from one day to the next, and from one meal to the next. You may be able to eat a full cup of food at one meal, but only a half a cup at the next meal. It is like an intricate dance that you have to do with the band.

I have now found that I approach every meal with care and caution, ie eat slowly and really listen to what my stomach is tealling me, and not letting myself get to that point where my tummy starts aching, which may mean you have eaten too much.

I have only 1ml in my band. Maybe because you have 2ml it is tighter for you.

My surgeon fills the band up slowly. Speaking of my surgeon I am going back to see him on Wednesday.:mad: Please no port revision!:girl_hug:

Susannah

Hey guys!

Loretta, unfortunately I didn't get to meet up with any of the girls! I plan on getting back down to Melbourne in August, hopefully. So I will try to organise something then.

Im amazed just how little i can eat... started on mushie food today.

Breakfast: managed 1/4 of a very sloppy weatbix

Lunch: Yogurt ( thought id play it safe)

Dinner: Scrambled eggs were on the menu this evening. I ate about 2/3 of 1 egg scrambled with sauce on it ( sounds interesting doesnt it!! tasted divine after no food for 16 days)... at the 2/3 mark i got chest pain and thought it was going to come back up but it didnt so the remainder was appreciated by the dog.

Sounds about right Bronnie, especially after your fill the other day! It sure does take a while of getting used to eating smaller serves! I went out for dinner last night for the first time since my last fill and ate 3/4 of ONE slice of pizza. And I was FULL AS!! I'm a cheap date haha

Bronnie you make me laugh.. i don't FIT down the toilet yet.. hopefully that will happen after i get the band..if that day ever comes lol

How is everything going ? I can't believe how quick time has gone.U will be the one disappearing down that toilet pretty soon if you keep loosing the weight :biggrin1:

Meredith, you will have to give us more warning next time you are down our way so we can all get our acts together :)

Hi Susannah.Hope all is well your way too.Good luck for wednesday.hopefully your port will get sorted out without surgery ..fingers crossed

It going to be a long time until i fit down a loo........

All is going well Loretta........ the band is my buddy and hopefully our relationship continues in a positive way.

pizza ... YUM!!! even a bite for me would be devine.

Anyway im off for a hit of tennis with a friend. Then its 3 hours of tennis tomorrow ( Ladies comp. Thank goodness most of then are over 60. LOL) and then 1hr getting coached on wednesday... Wimbleton Here i come!!~!

Hi guys, I am going for my first meeting today with the surgeon and a nutricionist. Cant wait to get this journey started, very excited hopefully it shouldnt take to long to get the ball rolling ;)

Christie

Hi guys, I am going for my first meeting today with the surgeon and a nutricionist. Cant wait to get this journey started, very excited hopefully it shouldnt take to long to get the ball rolling ;)

Christie

Good luck Christie!

:wave:

Had a fill this morning, a good visit all round actually.

I didnt have as much in my band as I thought, I've got 2.6 now after a .2 fill, I thought I already had 3. So I wasnt so apprehensive because I thought I'd be getting near to capacity. Had a coffee just fine at Chadstone on the way home too, so all is well. Had lost 3kg since my last visit and now have a NORMAL BMI!!! Woohoo, I'm not even overweight anymore! I still want to lose 8kg though. Bought a pair of pants in Giordano, grabbed the 16, tried them on, waaaay too big. The 14 was a little tight but that's a week or two, so I got them.

I also went for the results of my 12 month blood tests, which it took me until 15 months to show up for. Liver function has improved off the scale, from values of 280 and similar down to 18's and 19's. Cholesterol stayed the same at 4.8 but my LDL/HDL ratio is excellent. The only problem is I'm horribly low on Iron so have to start a supplement. I've been feeling dead on my feet lately so that will be why.

And I mentioned the bowel problems I've been having, dont know if anyone remembers but I did mention on here once, I get these awful bouts of cramps and cold sweats that come without warning when I toddle off for number 2's in the mornings, it's happened 3 or 4 times now, lasts a couple of hours. No diarrhea but copious amounts, lol, like where on earth was I hiding all THAT. Just horrible, awful pain, as bad as labour, if it happened to me in public someone would be calling an ambulance. My period always starts next day. Periods have become painful, PMT diabolical whereas I've never suffered since before I had my first baby. And then off and on, just low grade crampy irritated bowel for no apparent reason.

I mentioned it to my lap band doc because I've assumed its probably associated with hormonal disruption due to all the weight loss. He concurred with that but said that it sounds awfully like endometriosis, which both my sisters suffer terribly with, one to the point that she's been rendered infertile as both tubes are very damaged. Great. So off to my gynae I go, given I havent had a pap smear for 4 years that's probably good. I'm glad to find this out AFTER I've had the 3 babies I wanted but I dont fancy the constant laparoscopies to control the stuff if that's the case.

Anyway, we shall see. All in all a good visit today, lets just hope the .2 he gave me is enough to get the rest of this weight off and not enough to have me barfing up everything I eat!

Wow Jacqui! I really hope that it doesn't end up being endometriosis! That sound truly awful! And it sounds about time to go get that pap smear too (god awful things!).

You'll be swapping those 14's for 12's in no time at all. Hope the fill does its thing and kick starts the 8 kilo loss for you!

Morning :) Well I am booked in for 8th of May surgery :clap2: can not wait, I ahve to do 2 weeks of Optifast diet pre surgery, that is not going to be fun. I am booked in with Dr Michael L Talbot has anyone done there band with him?

Better go drop the kids to school, seeya Christie.

Morning :) Well I am booked in for 8th of May surgery :clap2: can not wait, I ahve to do 2 weeks of Optifast diet pre surgery, that is not going to be fun. I am booked in with Dr Michael L Talbot has anyone done there band with him?

Better go drop the kids to school, seeya Christie.

Hey Christie - congratulations. Is Dr Talbot in Brisbane?

Would you mind sharing information...price etc...I am super curious about stuff like that.

blytheswideshut, Dr Talbot is in Sydney I am going through the Sydney institute for obesity surgery at Sydney private hospital, and I am paying for my surgery it will cost me all up $15322. Has anyone else paid for there surgery?

Is anyone here from Sydney?

I had to pay the $5000ish surgery fee and for all the consult appointments, xrays, blood tests etc (maybe another $800 or so?), the rest was covered by my private hospital insurance. I was very lucky that I had a 1 year waiting time on using my health insurance and I got my band only 3 days after it ticked over to a year.

I am in Canberra, I think I am the closest Aussie bandster to you on this thread Christie....

At first I did not want to be part of any support group/chat room but have changed my mind. I DO need it! Joined earlier today & just saw your thread from Melbourne. So like a good Aussie, I had to say G'day. I am in the Southern Highlands, south west of Sydney. Had my op here with Dr Frank Stening officiating on 14th March- it's a new program in this area & the good doc & his team are using a lot of clinical expertise gleaned from the program in Melbourne.