Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anything know about death in Mexico.

My Doc. required an EKG (done within 30 days) in addition to the completed medical history form to be faxed to him before I was approved for surgery. No one can hold a Physician responsible if the Pt. was dishonest about disclosing a significant medical history. Does everyone read every line in the surgery and anesthesia consent? I know I didn't, but I'm a Nurse and was well aware of the risks. Some Physicians do more of a work up in the US, and some things may or may not get picked up. I had a hiatal hernia. I was asymptomatic, so it was never diagnosed. Dr. Alvarez found it and repaired it during my surgery. It's sad when we hear about deaths occurring, but it's noted as a risk on the consent form. The truth is, you have more of a chance of dying driving to your Dr's office, then you do having surgery. The risks increase based on your co-morbidities. After surgery, it's up to you to follow your post op instructions to lessen your chance of complications. Having 3/4 of your stomach removed is major surgery.... not a bandaid procedure. I chose to have my surgery in a full service hospital in Mexico with an ICU and other specialties to deal with any complication that might have occurred. I chose not to go to a surgical center with an off-site recovery house.

My doctor told me my chances of dying was greater from my obesity related illnesses than the surgery itself.

That said, my doctor was very thorough. He saved my life by having a filter placed before surgery to keep blood clots from going to my lungs. But, the Hematologist he had see me caused all my problems. I had a DVT 2 years before surgery but the Hematologist didn't feel it was necessary to give me blood thinners after surgery. So, one week after surgery, I threw clots in both legs from my ankles to my groins on both sides!!! The filter really did save my life!! So, it prolonged my recovery. One year later, I feel great, I've lost all my weight...but now have chronic venous insufficiency in my left leg because one of the clots is still there and will be there forever because its calcified and at a place where surgery would be impossible. So, my left leg still swells and I take diuretics and Coumadin daily. Nothing's perfect in this life. We don't get through it without challenges...but at 57, and otherwise healthy, I am so happy I had this surgery and hope everything works for you too and you love your new sleeve!!

How horribly sad to read Rox passed away.

How can any doctor, no matter which side of the border, give us quality care if we do not give them full disclosure about us?

This should serve as a very real and sad reminder of how important it is we give full disclosure about our medical history.

My sympathies to Rox's family and her surgical team. So sad.

She was denied surgery in the USA because of a heart condition. She somehow managed to leave these details out of her application to the

surgeon in Mexico. I liked Rox' date=' and I'm sorry she is gone.[/quote']

I feel I must retract this statement.

I was contacted by a spokesman for the family of Roxanne.

I was told something completely different than what I said here about her death.

I, at this point do not feel comfortable saying it was a pre existing condition.

I feel I must retract this statement.

I was contacted by a spokesman for the family of Roxanne.

I was told something completely different than what I said here about her death.

I, at this point do not feel comfortable saying it was a pre existing condition.

I was told something completely different and was surprised to see this. I was starting to get a little confused. I feel for the family and friends of Roxanne at this time. I chatted with her on a few occasions and I know she was excited to start her new journey. My prayers are for all involved.

In my case the cardiologist was the first one to show up and take the EKG. He asked me on the spot when was my last check up and that I have a mild case of swolen hard or somthing like this due to the high blod pressure I've been having. Nothing to worry about but still I was a bit afraid. I'm surprised that the lady who very unfortunatly past didn't have one done preop.

Laura Van is right. If you want to do this don't go read the sad stories. That's almost like tryng to find any reasons to not do it. That again means that you don't realy want to do it.

Was it ROX that was scheduled for July 28th? How sad!

I agree, you have to tell the doctor everything. I went to México and my blood count was too low. I didn't agrue, I wanted to make sure there were any options before I left the hospital. I thanked my doctor for not doing it anyway. You have to disclose your health, because it could save your life. I didn't know Roz, but I am praying for her family.

When something like this happens, it would be nice to know the name of the physician. I have searched and can't find. Went on the gastricsleeve.com website and can't find. Just adds to anxiety. I lurk on here everyday. I don't know how you all find all this info out.

I remember Rox - she wanted to visit Australia. My thoughts are with her husband and family.

The Doctors name is Dr. Aceves. Again, I heard this from a credible person but have no substantiated this myself.

The Doctors name is Dr. Aceves. Again, I heard this from a credible person but have no substantiated this myself.

I hope this isn't true! Dr. Aceves was my doctor and I have always had a deep respect for him and his team.

This is just terrible. I am disgusted and angered that this has happened.

My deepest sympathy goes out to the family of Rox.

I hope this isn't true! Dr. Aceves was my doctor and I have always had a deep respect for him and his team.

This is just terrible. I am disgusted and angered that this has happened.

My deepest sympathy goes out to the family of Rox.

I think it is a bit premature to be disgusted and angered as we do not have all the facts, just speculation and hearsay at this point, about what happened.

What we do know is this: Rox passed away. Dr. Aceves was her surgeon.

I hope we can all agree that Rox and her loved ones should be in our thoughts and/or prayers.

I just have to say that no matter where your surgery is, U.S., Mexico, or anywhere in the world, and no matter who your doctor is, or how highly trained they are, one of the risks of surgery is death. We are all told this, and we all make a choice if we are going to take the chance in going through with the surgery. I am so sorry for the family of this woman who passed, but this is the reality of VSG. There are risks, and sometimes the worst case scenario happens, and it happens to all surgeons all over the world.