Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fuel for distance running

I never thought I would call myself a distance runner but here I am, training for a half marathon after a few 5k's and 10k's got me hooked! I just did my farthest run (7.2 miles) and felt the need for some fuel about that point.

Anyone have any recommendations for brands of gels or gummies or anything that works well for your sleeve? I don't eat much sugar and I'm afraid anything too sugary might make me sick. I know I will have to do some experimenting with what works for me but am hoping I can learn from some other sleeved runners out there!

I know there is a tread on here for "long distance runners " I subscribe to it, I haven't started my distance post op but good info on there :) good luck .

Hi Tina...glad to see another distance runner. I've run 2 half marathons and was training for a full in November. Unfortunately that just got postponed till after the first of the year due to upcoming TT surgery, a good trade off I think.

As for fuels....I really hate the gels, but I'm unsulin resistant and have learned I do better without any high sugar foods. I have tried a few and the only one I like is called Pocket Fuel. It's an almond butter based gel with all natural ingredients. They have quite a few flavors and basically, if you like almond butter, you'll like these. I found them at the local running store but also online.

But for me personally, I have learned to subscribe to a whole different method of fueling. There are many good books on the topic of running in a fat burning zone rather than the sugar burning zone, but one of my favorites is "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman. The premise is you learn to run a bit slower to keep your heart rate in a zone that you don't need to refuel. You predominantly burn body fat as opposed to burning up your glycogen stores. The typical person can only hold 60-90 minutes worth of glycogen. We hold weeks and weeks worth of fat, so you will not run out of fuel. It's a difficult process to build up too, but I've been working it for several months now and I can run 10 miles on almost no carbs whatsoever. Typical prerun meal for me will be 2 boiled eggs and a piece of cheese or almonds. No carb loading, no gels, none of that stuff for me. Granted, I'm not the world's fastest runner (staying in this zone necessitates keeping the HR down) but I can run a long way without gels and gu's.

The grandfather of this technique is a guy named Phil Maffetone. He trained many world champion triathaletes using this method. It's worth a google if you're interested.

Good luck, and feel free to revive that old distance runners thread.

I am trying to get into distance running. I have really enjoyed the handful of 5ks that I have done and would like to do my first 10K in November with a friend.

I am currently 9 months post surgery (gastic sleeve) and have lost 110 lbs! I have been working on running since I was cleared for regular exercise by my doctor but I have had the hardest time building my distance. At this time I am only about to accomplish 1.5 miles straight before I feel like I am completely out of engery and am going to give out. The rest of the work out I really have to push myself to accomplish 3 miles.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on attaining better energy and great distances???

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

I am trying to get into distance running. I have really enjoyed the handful of 5ks that I have done and would like to do my first 10K in November with a friend.

I am currently 9 months post surgery (gastic sleeve) and have lost 110 lbs! I have been working on running since I was cleared for regular exercise by my doctor but I have had the hardest time building my distance. At this time I am only about to accomplish 1.5 miles straight before I feel like I am completely out of engery and am going to give out. The rest of the work out I really have to push myself to accomplish 3 miles.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on attaining better energy and great distances???

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

It could be your fuel intake....or you may need to just go slower. I could never stand to eat all the carbs everyone says runners need to eat. I tried....I really did, but they make me feel ill. But the one thing that always has increased my distance is running in my fat burning heart rate zone, rather than jumping up into the higher cardio zones. This does mean running slower, but youngest to run much longer and with less chance of injury. A great book on the subject is called "slow burn" by stu Mittleman. He teaches you how to run in the fat burning zone so you don't run out of glycogen and crash. It's a great book. The guy ran 1100 miles in 10 days. He knows a thing or 2.

You could also look into the Jeff Galloway method (he has his own website, google him). It's a run/walk/run method. His specialty is getting people through their first marathon. I've seen many people at races doing this method and at the end they are very fresh.