Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I call "drinking 64 oz water" BS

Drinking > 64 oz a day is not going to give you Water poisoning.

I have been drinking 120+ oz for almost 10 months now to replace Water lost through exercise, evaporation and urination. It is good to flush out toxins released from breakdown of muscles, toxins from kidneys and liver and toxins released from stored fat. Toxins bind to fat cells so will flood the system as fat is released from storage during the glycogen conversion process. Drinking more water is very beneficial to the weight loss process as well as tightening up skin.

Water is especially important to keep stones from forming in the kidneys when consuming large amounts of Protein, as we are required to do as a post op. Your Protein requirements may go up even more as a senior post op (read: 6, 9, 12, more months post op) as focus switches from weight and fat loss to lean muscle gain and toning combined with strength training. I take 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. At 13 % body fat and weight 178, I take a minimum 154 G protein just to maintain lean mass. My protein in take is more like 200-225 g because I want to gain lean muscle mass when combined with strength training. This requires a lot of water to keep the kidneys protected from stones.

Keep on drinking water and form habits of drinking enough water to keep your renal system in top form. Drink a maximum of 32 oz per hour (when you can handle that much) and you will do fine. I actually drink more than this per hour at time.

Hypernatermia is usually found in people with psych issues or people who have underlying causes. 64 ounces of Water would never cause that unless you drank 64 ounces all ay once multiple times a day

But what I'm saying is that ... well, I guess I'm tired :wacko: of all the pressure of all the rules we have to follow to be sucessful in this journey.

I'm following too many rules already... keeping track of all those ounces of Water is just the tip of the iceberg. so I call it BS. :blink:

The easiest way is to find a container that will hold the water/fluids you want to drink in a day. And then make sure to drink it. A pitcher for all of it or maybe a few shaker bottles with ounces printed on the sides. Instead of trying to add up a bunch of different glasses, just drink all of your "container". You can even pour it into a glass, just make sure to finish off the whole "container". No mental math required if you know you have to drink that "container" each day, period. ;)

Good Water consumption helps to keep us from getting constipated also. Many of us don't get a lot of Fiber in our diet until maintenance and so we need to do what we can to keep things flowing.

I think 64 oz is a good goal but I don't think that is an amount that is set in stone for everyone. It's a good average to set out there for most of the population to shoot for. But for us, it's even more important to stay hydrated because we really so not need to complicate our conditions with preventable problems. So, i'ma keep shooting for a min of 64.

For me, I count on the Water to flush out the stuff I don't want hanging around. I count it as liver and kidney protection.

Lynda

Exactly what I thought was happening, the body flushes waste generated by diet driven weight loss. In a way, Water washes the weight away...

Good for you.

As many opinions as there are out there on post op diets, such as caffeine or not, alcohol or not, carbonation or not, soft foods after a week or not...the list goes on. The only thing I have noticed that IS universal is the minimum amount of Water that should be consumed.

I wish the best for you and hope you don't get dehydrated. From what I have heard, it's not pretty.

I have been a 100 or so oz drinker for years and years as kidney stones run in my family and I am one of the few who has not experienced them. I have to think the Water consumption has made somewhat of a difference.

The easiest way is to find a container that will hold the water/fluids you want to drink in a day. And then make sure to drink it. A pitcher for all of it or maybe a few shaker bottles with ounces printed on the sides. Instead of trying to add up a bunch of different glasses, just drink all of your "container". You can even pour it into a glass, just make sure to finish off the whole "container". No mental math required if you know you have to drink that "container" each day, period. ;)

I do exactly that. I make my big container of cucumber Water and then keep filling my Tervis tumbler (with a straw, yes people, a straw) and take it with me everywhere! My Tervis tumbler has become my security blanket. :)

I have always struggled to get in the recommended 64 oz of fluids daily...I told my doc I am getting probably 40-48 oz on days I don't workout and he was totally fine with that (even said that is what he prob gets on a daily basis.)

While I disagree with your assertion that Water intoxication would happen by consuming 80 oz of fluids throughout the day...and I also think we aren't always as good as we think we are at deciphering the messages our body sends us...I thought this article elucidated some of the points you were making about whether there is "hard science" to support the rule we've all come to know about how much liquids we should be getting a day.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/wonders-of-water

Great article!

I too struggle with getting in 64 oz of fluids daily. I have never been much of a drinker and have lived that way without any significant health issues all my 60 years. Until I hit 40 I was considered skinny and rarely drank plain Water. It wasn't until after menopause set in that I began to put on weight. Drinking more water had no effect on weight loss.

My own unscientific hypotheses is that, like most things, your requirement for water is based on your own body's needs and not on a quota.

Damaris67

45 lbs down :o

thats terrific :)

you must be feeling so much healthier :)

"we" are here to give support, guidance, good advice

but we can't tell you what to do

good luck with drinking as much or as little as you chose :)

NEWBIE ALERT, NEWBIE ALERT

please follow the "wise" advice most/all/everyone here is stating about the importance of Water

not to mention the "orders" from your surgeon/NUT

drink, drink, drink and then drink some more!!!!

Damaris67 good luck with the rest of your journey through life - today, tomorrow and always

raising a glass of Water to your health ;) :)

good luck

kathy

one more thing i just thought of....

you can lead a horse to Water, but you can't make it drink :lol: :lol::lol: :lol:

kathy ;)

ooooops :ph34r:

didn't mean to post here!!!

Proud Grammy is kind of goofy. Just sayin! :wub:

LipstickLady

guilty :unsure:

but....are you just realizing that??? ;):lol:

hanging around you guys for the past 20 months can make almmost anyone goofy :lol: :lol:

kathy