Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magnesium citrate but no poop

I'm supposed to be at the hospital tomorrow at 9:30 for my surgery. I took magnesium citrate as instructed around 10pm and also did a fleets enema about 2 hours later. Something is seriously wrong. I feel like I have to poop but can't actually poop. It's like the world's biggest turd is right there trying to come out but can't. I've pushed and pushed and nothing. I don't know what to do. My stomach feels weird now, like a crampy feeling. I don't want to have surgery like this, any ideas? Pointers? I think the poop is impacted.

Girl!!! That sucks the magnesium citrate can take hours to work... Have you been constipated the last couple of days??

Yes! I've been "going" up until Sunday when I started the clear liquid diet but even before then on the full liquid it was lil round poops

Yes! I've been "going" up until Sunday when I started the clear liquid diet but even before then on the full liquid it was lil round poops

Well that's not good.You can try a glycerin suppository.... But if you are truly impacted?

Most doctors will manually "disimpact" you manually :(

I give up, poop won! I stuck my finger up there and mega poop has no end in sight! It feels grapefruit sized, that thing isn't coming out so I'm going to bed. Will see what happens tomorrow. Will probably reschedule surgery idk. Will talk to the surgeon and see what he says.

I hope not!!

Call first thing in the morning!

This is how they do it...

Your health-care provider will don a latex glove and insert one or two fingers gently into the rectum, while slowly breaking up the fecal mass into small pieces, making expulsion easier. Manual or digital removal of an impacted bowel is usually done in small steps to reduce the risk of damaging the rectal tissues

It came out!!!! Yayyyy, just laid down for about 10 minutes then got the sudden urge to go! And boom! There it went

Thank you Laura---thanks for your support during these "hard" times :-D

Thank you Laura---thanks for your support during these "hard" times :-D

On your way home from the hospital stop and get some Miralax and a stool softener. The same thing happened to me post-op. I first tried extra Fiber. Didn't work. Then Fiber + stool softener. A little improvement. Finally I added 1/2 a dose of Miralax and now I feel soooo much better. Will keep this up until I can get enough fiber back in my diet.

On your way home from the hospital stop and get some Miralax and a stool softener. The same thing happened to me post-op. I first tried extra Fiber. Didn't work. Then fiber + stool softener. A little improvement. Finally I added 1/2 a dose of Miralax and now I feel soooo much better. Will keep this up until I can get enough fiber back in my diet.

Ok thanks will do

Oh wait! Just occurred to me that my first few days home were accompanied by a nasty case of diarrhea (reaction to the anesthesia maybe?). Don't take the Miralax until you feel the need. Then maybe start with a 1/4 dose. A full dose every day was too much for me.

I'm very glad you were able to go. Post surgery I have learned that at least for me it is a daily job. Get your fiber in with Benefiber or something. You will not get any in otherwise for a long while and you will find yourself impacted even worse. Get at least the 64 oz Water as soon as you can and take stool softeners if OKed by your Dr. I add 2 tsp benefiber to every water bottle I drink now. I also chew 2 fiber gummies a day. Each time I do it its 12% of my daily req.

I hope your recovery is fast and easy.

I hope I got it all out! If not i hope they don't tell me I pooped on the table lol I'd be too embarrassed.