Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yikes!!!

oh my. i did a ton of research and you know what? i think i researched TOO MUCH. i'm completely overloaded. some people love it and swear by it, some people regret it. some people had major medical issues result. some people couldn't find doctors to do their fills. some say they didn't lose any weight, or only lost 20 or so lbs.

i am just... freaked. i thought i had Dr. Ortiz picked out and was thrilled with my choice. then i researched Tijuana mx and, um, EW. i then called my best bud for reassurance and he laughed and went "while you are getting your surgery, your husband can get a hooker!" now, he was kidding of course, but if the first thing he thought of when i said tijuana was hookers... what kind of reputation does this city have?!

i know i am spazzing out. i was just so happy and now... what if i spend close to $9-10k on this and i only lose 20lbs or none at all or i have to drive back to tijuana every time i need a fill?!?!? (i live in vegas) i see so many that have lost a good deal of weight... so why am i letting all the other ones get me down? plus i bet some people forget to update their lil trackers?!

for the first time in a reallllllllllllly long time i felt HOPE... you know? now what?!!! my husband is willing to get a home equity line of credit to pay for this... i'd be crushed if it was a waste of money. i mean, you know the kind of home improvements we could do for that money!?

*DEEP BREATH*

did anyone else go through these same panicky fears? how did you get over it?

help!:faint:

Tijuna has it's horrible parts full of donkey shows, hookers, and dirty, half-starved kids trying to sell chiclets and marionettes - but it also has its beautiful parts. I personally wouldn't have surgery there, but that's just my personal choice. A lot of people who have gone there have absolutely raved about the facilities and level of care they received.

I went through a LOT of doubt. For all 5 years that I was debating the band. What worked for me was to try and see the bigger picture. So when I would second guess whether or not this was right, I would try to just focus on the fact that THIS TIME, I was going to lose the weight AND keep it off. I'd done the former MANY times, but NEVER the latter. :huggie: I just kept telling myself, "This will be the last time!" For me, it really worked, and I felt at ease each and every time I had that thought.

What you are going through is common and normal. You don't hear of people getting "recreational" lap band surgery. This is serious stuff. It's real. It's scary. And it is not necessarily for everyone. It is good and necessary to have questions and ask them until you are comfortable, sure, and ready.

I'm no expert. I'm not banded yet, I have my surgery next week. But I can just tell you that I had all the feelings and questions you just described. I'm just a little past that now. Still nervous, but the decision is made. Plane ticket in hand. I'm going. And I'm really ready.

I'd like to say a couple things about the issues you raise.

As for Dr. Ortiz and Tijuana, there really are nothing but glowing reports about this doctor and the cleanliness of the facility, and the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. I'm sure you will hear from some people who went to him. Tijuana has some rough edges, but the clinic and the overall facilities are first rate. And Dr. Ortiz is one of the most experienced lap band surgeons in the world.

On the other hand, if you are just plain uncomfortable going to Mexico, you might consider my doctor, Dr. Kirshenbaum. He's in the Denver area so not too far from you. His fee is just about the same as the Mexican doctors. You can get more info at www.lapbandrockies.com if interested.

Another thing I want to say is that most people do have success losing weight with the band. Some complications are possible, but they are not common overall, and none of the common ones like erosion or slippage are truly serious from a medical point of view. The odds are very, very good that you will lose most of the weight you want to lose over time.

Some people do not have success with the band. It is rare but it does happen. Many of those people find a way to "eat around" band by eating shakes and ice cream. It is possible to have the band and even gain weight if you work at it. There is the occassional person who seems to do everything right and still does not have success. This is very unusual but it does happen. The band is still the best chance you have for serious, longlasting weight loss that does not involve re-arranging body parts.

So, keep reading this forum and ask questions. Take your time. Do what it takes to make the right decision for you. Then, get off your ass and get the damn lap band already!!! Just kidding. Sort of.

Tijuna has it's horrible parts full of donkey shows

Sorry to trouble you, but do you have an address?

No, I was only 13 when they tried to pull me away from my parents and push me into the seating. I forgot to write it down. :huggie:

I heard on the news just this morning that the Federales are going to take all the guns away from the policia in Tiajuana because they are so "in" with the common criminals. Now that's neither here nor there about surgery, I just thought it spoke volumes about the criminal element there.

I never double guessed my decision. I know the lapband has risks but I also know there are rare slippage and erosion. I am so happy with my lapband. Dr. Ortiz has a wonderful program. I would go for it. The facility is suppose to be really nice and he is a wonderful doctor. Don't second guess yourself. You can do this. The band is wonderful. Keep in mind the people who have only lost 20 lbs might not be working with the band properly. You have to get fills for restriction and you have to watch your Portion Control along with exercise. That being said, I am considered a slow loser at 1 lb a week. I have lost 39 lbs since June. I love my band. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Go for it. Its wonderful.

Ok - my 2 cents.

I have lost 52 pounds. And that is eating practically anything I want for the last year.

Seriously - it's a good thing. I can't comment about Mexico or Dr.Ortiz - but I can say that the band is pretty fabulous.

I have never been able to lose weight with so little effort before.

Good luck in your deliberations.