Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To stay or not to stay?

After getting my approval yesterday, I kind of 'froze'. I'm not sure when I should tell my H.R. Department that I'll be out for a bit. (I qualify for Short Term Disability). So I'll probably take the two weeks. Mostly b/c I'll have to adjust to everything, and with my diabetes, not eating, and my blood pressure going up and down…I want to be regulated before driving 1.5 hours to work and back every day. Any opinions on this?

I called BC/BS who said I certainly am approved, and for ONE Night Hospital stay. My surgeon didn't mention this; I'm assuming b/c most folks do not stay over night. The insurance woman told me I should have been notified. However…if my insurance approved it, and is going to pay for it - I WANT to stay overnight. I want to have access to the nurses, watching my blood sugars, etc., not to mention I may feel more comfortable knowing if anything is wrong, I'll be in the right place.

Should I mention it to my surgeon that I want to stay overnight?

My surgery was done on a Thursday morning 8 a.m. They kept me until Friday around 10 a.m. All of my doctors patients stay overnight. I was in pain for a couple of weeks, but I have sit down job in front of a computer all day, so I tried to go back to work the following Monday. I was internally screaming for doing that...I was sore and still tired. I then stayed home Tuesday and Wednesday. By Thursday I was feeling better. I really felt good the next Monday. In 10 to 11 days!

Probably the worst thing for me was getting in and out of bed to go to the bathroom, but I made it.

I am diabetic too. I have been insulin dependent for about 18 years. My blood sugars have not changed that much yet. It could be different for you.

I think it is an insurance thing.... my insurance wont cover it as an outpatient procedure, so I'll be staying overnight.

prbrook: I was hoping to be one of those thurs-monday people, but now I'm wondering if I should take a bit more time.... (I'm also using dr. malley)

Hi Sherilyn,

Congrats on your approval!

It is standard protocol to stay overnight in the ICU with my group, but I think it is a hospital regulation. With your diabetes I can't imagine they would send you home. I would want to stay.

BTW, my surgeon recommends you stay out of works for 4 to 6 weeks following surgery! I was shocked. I work at home, so I plan on only taking a week or two, but they explained that they really, really want you to solely concentrate on yourself and your new band, the adjustments, etc.

Sounds good to me.

I think it is an insurance thing.... my insurance wont cover it as an outpatient procedure, so I'll be staying overnight.

prbrook: I was hoping to be one of those thurs-monday people, but now I'm wondering if I should take a bit more time.... (I'm also using dr. malley)

Hi...Tracy, I made it through the day the next Monday, but I was slumped over and exhausted by the time I got home. There is no need on rushing back to work, if you have the time to take off.

As far as the next comment goes...I can't imagine anyone needing 4 to 6 weeks off work. Yes...I can...if you have a job that you are moving and lifting...you would need to take off.

I talked to my doctor about the same subject before surgery and he said that if I needed to or even if I just wanted to, he would have me spend the night (I live a couple of hours out of town, I have diabetes and heart problems). Or, he said if it would make me feel more secure , to just plan to stay in a hotel near his office that night or as long as I wanted to.

As it was, I got in the car 4 hours after surgery and rode home and slept in my own bed with no problem at all.

I can't imagine why you'd need to be off work for 6 weeks!! The biggest problem I had was gettting my food/water/supplements all scheduled during the day....that might be hard to get done during your work day, depends on what kind of work you do, but that should be worked out in a week or two at the most.

(BTW....I, too had been diabetic for 20 years....after the surgery I never again had the bouncing sugar readings I'd had before and, now after 10 months, I am completely off meds for both diabetes and blood pressure).

Congrats on your approval. My surgeon is also requires an overnight hospital stay. The next morning after surgery I had a barium swallow test, then they progressed me from Water, to clear broth, to Protein Shakes over the course of about 2 hours. If I could tolerate that without any complications, than it was okay to be discharged. I went in for 10:30 am surgery Monday and I was discharged around 4pm Tuesday. I struggled to get up and around until Friday, but didn't feel like myself for probably another 5 or so days. By 1.5 weeks out I was fine. Everyone is different so it will be a wait and see for you but plan to take it easy. Best wishes on a great surgery and speedy recovery.

Mine was outpatient. Started around 10, went home a little after 1. Apparently within 20 minutes (not sure of the time, that's what I've been told) of hitting recovery I was up and asking them to release me. I was glad to be home. But it's a very indivudal process. I had no pain, no gas, no complications... not the case for everyone.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the input. I think I will choose to stay. I'm very 'new' to the diabetes, just diagnosed the last 6 weeks or so. Not yet on insulin, but the medications that they have put me on, PLUS new meds for my blood pressure - are making me have 'weak' or 'dizzying' episodes. I think just being monitored overnight; and hopefully progressing from Clear Liquids to Protein Shakes might be the thing for me!

I'll see the Doc next Wednesday at my 'pre-op' class - I'll tell them then.

Oh and ask for asking your surgeon, just tell her/him you'd prefer to stay.

My surgeon asked me, after I'd been prepped and was waiting to go back. I remember him leaning over and asking me if I wanted to go home afterwards, and I said "Yes please." ;)