Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conjugated Linoleic Acid or known as Tonalin

I read on the internet that there have been some scientific studies done and backed up by the American Diabetes Association that Conjugated Linoleic Acid in a 3.4 gram daily dosage is beneficial to helping lipid levels in obese and diabetes patients. More info I gathered also indicated that this nutritional supplement will assist patients from putting on abdominal fat in conjunction of course with good nutrition and exercise. Another benefit - it keeps ones small fat cells from turning into BIG ones. Awesome if it is all valid information.

Now, after having been on this conjugated linoleic acid for 5 days, I can honestly tell you that I no longer have cravings for chocolate, sweets, breads, carbs (nor Proteins for that matter). I take 2000 mg in the a.m. and it curbs my appetite - then I take 2 around 7 or 8 pm at night which is my incredible craving time of the day (imagine a 300 lb tiger with nashing teeth wanting to eat anything and everything - hungry or not-the old "head hunger" demon). To my delight and surprise, I no longer crave bad things after supper-don't even feel the need to "have something sweet and baaaaad" (other than my husband). My daughter tried it today and she had the same result - now understand that my daughter is no pushover and was quite skeptical to say the least. Is there anyone out there who knows if this is a real result of taking this supplement? Any info and feedback would be appreciated and may even shed some light on the matter.

Not yet banded, but will be on Feb 7 2007.

Hi Pricilla, I bought some too, but the capsules are kinda big, and I;m afraid they may get stuck. Do you know if i opened the capsule and swallowed the contents...is that dangerous or really awful tasting?

ps. the study they did on it at the university of guelph was pretty impressive, eh?

Hi Neenagh - yes it was really impressive - even more so since now it seems to be the real deal and cutting my cravings. My daughter also said she is doing great on it after only 1 dosage. This stuff is bascially Omega 3 and 6 fatty essential acids that they have tweaked somehow. Now my understanding is that these essential oils are found in nuts, fish oils and the red meat and milk from grass fed ruminants (cows, etc) that feed on real grass, not grains. Grass fed beef have shown to contain 500% more linoleic acid - now that is amazing. Have you tried this Neenagh? I would say that based on what I have tasted - it is just fish and nut oil and tastes alright. Crack one of those babies open and see how it tastes on the tip of your tongue. If it burns - don't do it! If it seems ok, add it to some food and see if the taste is a turnoff. Either way, I am going to keep taking this little miracle black beauty to keep my hungry tiger (head hunger) at bay day and night. Keep in touch - we can do our own little mini-trial on this stuff unless someone else more knowledgeable out there knows a reason why we should not take it. Dr. Oz, the guy from the Oprah show, said good things about it also and I am reading his book right now, "You, on a Diet". Very good information in that and a really funny and mostly light hearted read too. Kep in touch - okay? I'd sure like to test my little theory and I need backup girl.:clap2:

I'll try it tonight when i get home from work, I'll let u know tomorrow how it went. I'm on a waiting list at the library for "you;on a diet" can't wait to get my hands on it!

Hi pricilla, I opened one and its virtually tasteless. I put it in my tea. I could see an oil slick on top of the tea, but couldnt taste it at all! I think putting it on/in food will be a breeze! So here we go...you and I can be our own guinea pigs! I'm gonna take 5000mg (the amount used in the study) split over two meals to avoid diahhrea (sp?) as recommended. I will mark today on my personal record chart as starting cla and see where i am next week, and let u know.

Good luck with the CLA Neenagh. Guess what? I have lost 5 lbs. in 5 days! I tried cutting back on the CLA to 4000 mgs. and started to crave last night - so today I am back on 6000 mg. I know that mine did not taste either - but there was a warning saying that not all products saying they are CLA are truly that. They said Tonalin the one you and I are using was the best brand because it accurately depicts what is in the capsules. Here's a toast to the black beauties (capsules)! I am not yet banded, but will be on Feb 7. Hoping to lose some abdominal flab and actually do notice a slight decrease in my flab right under my breasts and upper tummy area. I do not feel so bloated. Dr. Oz says that our omentums if they are overly fat will keep all the Omega acids for its own use and only a little bit gets into the rest of the body so I really think that all this information, if we put it together properly is going to assist us and perhaps other "guinea pigs" to get ahead of the game. I'll let you know if my cravings come back at any time - I will be scrupulously honest with you about that. No point in taking it after all, if it is not doing what it has so far.

Hi skyeblu, are u a canuck? here we can get it at just about any health food/supplement place. if your american, probably GNC or other similar places.

Hi skyeblu, are u a canuck? here we can get it at just about any health food/supplement place. if your american, probably GNC or other similar places.

Hi Neenagh, I'm an American. I love Canada though!! I will check GNC. Thanks!!!

Thanks Neenagh - also measured and have lost an inch off my waist and 3/4 inch off my chest. If this is all in my head - I like my head even more than I did 5 days ago. Hope this works for you too - it will be exciting to check with each other along the way.:biggrin1:

I just ordered the liquid tonalin from lowcarbfriends.com (it's liquid concentrate) and I'm so excited to try it- i will report back after i get it and try it out for a week - if it helps me lose even one poound i'll be THRILLED.

Mary hope this works for you too! So far so good for me. No cravings - but I have to use 6000mgs a day to keep them at bay. Good news though is that it really does seem to be helping my abdominal fat. Not sure if it is because I am not eating/craving sugars and junk and creating less bloat - but whatever, it is magical for me. Keep in touch and be one of the little "guinea pigs" club.

Neenagh - hope you are doing well on it too. Keep us posted. Also, anyone else out there who is trying this stay on board with us and we will do a poll later.:clap2: