Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big drop in weight can increase risk for gall stiones

So apparently any big weight loss can put you at a increased risk for gall stones. If that is the case, why don't surgeons just take the gall bladder out when they are in there? I mean I know sometimes it does get done as a combo surgery but why not routinely? I had my VSG on 3/25/13 and will be having my ball bladder removed in the morning. I'm not excited.

What were you symptoms?

Some surgeons (mine included) prescribe ursodiol to protect the gallbladder for the first 6 months after surgery, since that seems to the be the period of most rapid weight loss. However, I think some do take the gallbladder out as a preventative measure. My sister had the lap band and also needed to have her gallbladder removed. At the very least, I would hope that the surgeons would be open to addressing it.

What were you symptoms?

Off and on for the past week I've been having some pain in my upper belly, right in the upper middle and over to the right upper quadrant. Seems to get worse 2-3 hours after I eat. Hasn't been bad enough for me to mention to anyone before today. This morning, I woke up and it felt like someone had stabbed me in the middle of my upper stomach. I went to an urgent care center and they sent me to the ER. I had an ultrasound done and they found small gall stones and sludge. The pain eases on its own. I had some nausea with or from (who knows which) the pain I had this morning. That is better now too. I haven't had to have anything for pain so far.

Off and on for the past week I've been having some pain in my upper belly' date=' right in the upper middle and over to the right upper quadrant. Seems to get worse 2-3 hours after I eat. Hasn't been bad enough for me to mention to anyone before today. This morning, I woke up and it felt like someone had stabbed me in the middle of my upper stomach. I went to an urgent care center and they sent me to the ER. I had an ultrasound done and they found small gall stones and sludge. The pain eases on its own. I had some nausea with or from (who knows which) the pain I had this morning. That is better now too. I haven't had to have anything for pain so far.[/quote']

You're gonna feel so much better once you get that puppy out!! I was miserable until mine finally got yanked.

You're gonna feel so much better once you get that puppy out!! I was miserable until mine finally got yanked.

I sure hope so. Totally want planning on this when I came to the ER today lol

I sure hope so. Totally want planning on this when I came to the ER today lol

Omg I here you!! This is exactly what happened to me 10 days ago! 9 months post sleeve! Had about 4 attacks before the last one which was the most severe made me call my bariatric surgeon and landed me in the er then admitted to the hospital and surgery the next afternoon!!! You will be fine and feel so much better. Good luck!

Statistically, the occurrence of a gall bladder issue after significant weight loss from VSG is much higher for women then it is for men. I am not sure why this is the case. Does anyone know?

Statistically' date=' the occurrence of a gall bladder issue after significant weight loss from VSG is much higher for women then it is for men. I am not sure why this is the case. Does anyone know?[/quote']

Gall bladder disease has a higher incidence in women in general. The "4 F's" are a pretty good guideline to figure out who is most likely to have GB problems. Fat, forty, fertile, female. Other than not being in my 40's I fall into all the other categories. Even though there is much less of me now, I'm still fat/overweight. Pregnancy also increases the risk for GB problems and I had a baby 4 weeks before I had my VSG and then the VSG which also increases the risk and I was just asking for it. Wish I would have thought of all of this before now! :)

What were you symptoms?

Symptom can be nasea pain starting from front wrapping around your back,throwing up, can't stand sit wak,shortness of breath each time pain last longer. There may be more I'm sure but that's what I experienced no fun thank god mine was 18 years ago so w my surgery coming Wednesday I won't at least have to worry about that n by the way it was from rapid weight loss i was 25 I lost 65 lbs from aug to jan

So I now have 4 new incisions to go with the 5 I had from my VSG. I didn't get to eat or drink anything for over 24 hours by the time I finally had surgery. I am amazed at the restriction I have now with my sleeve. I had good restriction before. I could eat 5-6 oz of meat/food and feel satisfied. I had no trouble getting in my calories or Protein. Now I have no idea how I'm going to do either. I'm happy that I have this new restriction, maybe it will kick start my weight loss again. The suckiest part is that I can't work out for at least a week. Will have to get back at it next week...

So apparently any big weight loss can put you at a increased risk for gall stones. If that is the case, why don't surgeons just take the gall bladder out when they are in there? I mean I know sometimes it does get done as a combo surgery but why not routinely? I had my VSG on 3/25/13 and will be having my ball bladder removed in the morning. I'm not excited.

It's an easier surgery than the sleeve. Hang in there.......the relief is worth the surgery. I had mine removed a couple of years before my sleeve. Wish you the best of recoveries!:)!

So I now have 4 new incisions to go with the 5 I had from my VSG. I didn't get to eat or drink anything for over 24 hours by the time I finally had surgery. I am amazed at the restriction I have now with my sleeve. I had good restriction before. I could eat 5-6 oz of meat/food and feel satisfied. I had no trouble getting in my calories or Protein. Now I have no idea how I'm going to do either. I'm happy that I have this new restriction' date=' maybe it will kick start my weight loss again. The suckiest part is that I can't work out for at least a week. Will have to get back at it next week...[/quote']

Wow did the same dr do both procedures? My bariatric surgeon removed my gb. He used 2 of my old incisions and 1 in my belly button, so no new holes! Lol

I just found out today that I have gallstones- I have had a few attacks over the past two weeks, but mostly nausea 24/7. I am also having a swallow test in the morning because my surgeon thinks I might have a stricture as well. Definitely not what I wanted to hear, but it was a side effect that I was prepared for. I did not realize that there would be four more holes in my abdomen though :(