Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I live in North West Mississppi

Good afternoon...One of the reasons many of the mississippi folks have not gotten anything here. Many feel proud of the fact they are overweight.

I went into my Doctors office and got a checkup--weighed in at 270 week...then about 2 weeks late at 268. Not a big loss. But I came to the Conclusion to get my banding done for my 2007 year and so on.

The nurse of all people said--"why are you deciding to do this? I said--"if you had a Man in your life--what desirable weight would you like him--268 or 168? She looked at me without saying a word. Her co-worker says--"Lee don't worry about her, my husband used to be a heavy fellow like you". "He went on a diet and lost it all and now is a skinny fellow".

Then upon talking to a few of my associates and friends, I have close to a 60 or 70% negative reactions to my discision. This is people in my area. I am not originally from this state. I actually grew up in NYC. I feel now, I will not tell any one else. I will just start to drop the pounds--hopfully by the Mid-Feb time frame. That is when I am hoping to get in for the surgery. I filled out a survey I got from my Lapband Dr. I should be signing off to have it done this week. They are mailing this to me--since I live about 38 miles from the Hospital. I am 5'9"-a 49 year black male and I am also a single Dad of two small boys. Oh I know--most Men my age have grown children and is expecting their grand-kids any minute...lol

Ok...I hope that date will be coming to me very soon about my expected classes on food and doctors appointment...Pece to all...:)

What's up Lee,

I am from Mississippi. I have gotten the same response from some, but then from others it has been supportive. I am also a black male, though living in South MS. People are somewhat more receptive on the coast than what you are describing for North MS. My ex wife lives in North MS and I remember the lack of knowledge dealing with obesity there. Man, I am here to tell you, "Do it for you". You are who matters in this desicion and your longevity and Healthiness will prove it. I am scheduled to have surgery on Monday, January 15, 2007 and can't wait. I hope things work out for you and keep in touch. Good Luck!!!!!

Dre

Trust me--I am doing it for Lee-not anyone else. That is not exactly truethat the people on the coast is more receptive. When I lost the first 70 pounds back in 03/04--I was quickly accused of smokng the rock. I told my Pastor after he repeated the rumor to me. I said--the only drug I'm on is weights---come get some each morning at the World Gym.He should have shown up since he was and still is a Fat guy of 375 plus pounds..... I lived on the coast for 5 years--in the Gulfport-Biloxi area. Many are not educated either on the warning signs of being overweight. During a small time in 2003 I wanted to have the surgery--My now ex-wife threatened to Divorce me. Told me she married a Big Man--that is what she always wanted. I said-ok I will try to lose the weight without the surgery. So happens that when I lost about 60 to 70 pounds during the 2003/2004 time frame--she complained and complained I was getting too skinny. OH well with the way she changed with just that weight loss--a divorce was emminent. I mean--I was 230 and the Woman hated that a few of her friends said I was looking mighty fine. I think they were giving her a hard time. Guess what--right about the time of our breakup--she went from a 10 to an 18 over a 7 month period. Depressed I guessed. So it is hard at times to deal with many things. Yesterday--Jan 10th-07--I completed the psycological testing. Tomorrow, the Pre-op Physical. Then I have 2 weeks to schedule the stress test and the upper G.I.--I am making the assumption that the first or second week will be my surgery date....I am ready too, nothing will stop me...Lee

Man, if I offended, sorry. Oh, I know that there are some people here who are not receptive either. I am definately not saying that there aren't any. I was meaning that the surgery is more prevelant here that in the part of North Mississippi I frequented.

Man, i hate you had to go through all of that with your wife. I've dealt with similar. Well, it seems that you are on your way to a surgery date, congrats!!! I had the Upper GI on yesterday, Man, I have never been so sick in my life. The formula they had me take did not agree. Good Luck and I'll keep you informed how things go for me. Keep in touch.

Noooo, never did you offend me. I just had a different experience. I married a Lady who thought the Gym and weight loss would steal me. She never changed--even with our divorce. It's ok--I am long gone from the Coast. I am on my way--I am about to call my Drs office now to see what's up with the appointments. I am hoping that once that is done--I am going to excited beyond what I ever expected. My Mom is not too keen on the idea. But then again--we're southerners and think-(she thinks) if I lose weight with this lap band--I may get too small or too skinny. She herself used to be about 250 at 5'2". She finally went on that liguid diet and went to a size 16--not bad. But from time to tme she gains weight and has to set aside many of the things she eats. "Oh well" I said. I will be small due to the 'Co-mobidity" factors. I use the face my younger brother of 46 is going through kidney failure. Then te fact of Luther Vandross, Gerald Levert and Barry White--big names--Big guys--major problems all caused them go to the grave far too early. No one made it to he age of 60--such a shame that many Men and black Men in general will not go to a Drs office. With the fear that--whatever is going to happen-will happen. Suhc a fools ways of taking care of himself as well as his life-span....

That's so true of Vandross, levert and White. Those were all sad incidents. I have sleep Apnea and frequently have to sleep on a machine. I will not, if I can help it, let it progress into anything more, like heart attacks, diabeties or strokes. I will be 34 next month and hope that I am on my way to a healthier me.

You're doing the right thing.....I am sooo lucky to have been in decent shape....But now I am ready for my change.....What my so called friends have done is push me hard. If I told about 15 people--maybe 12 were negative....Which made me wonder--what is wrong with these folks. trust me-=-all of my associates are big and bigger than myself. One guy acted as he was an expert--told me..."I heard they don't work". You know when you know someone--you must always consider the source of the words coming at you....lol

So we're gonna do our thing--soon to be new people--if we work our butts off

Not really--but I am sure I'll find it on the map. I am not a true Mississippian. I wasn't born here--but I've been here almost 7 years. I would say--this site gets a 9.5 out of 10.0...

Hi Ya'll~ :o

Glad to see people posting in the MS area. I'm being banded Jan 29th by Dr Cleveland at CMMC in Jackson. They have a great support group through the CMMC Bariatric Surgery Center that meets monthly as well as support from individual members, called "Angels".

I'll be posting more as time goes on, right now I'm just reading alot of what others are sharing, trying to prepare for what's to come.

Hello Lee

I am from extreme Northeast Mississippi and hope to be banded this year. I know of several people in this area who have had or are having WLS. I think if more insurance companies would cover it, more people would take advantage of the opportunity. Good luck to you - hope all goes well!

Susie

Thank you for the confidence. I got my approval letter in Jan 25-07. I went to the 1st Nutriion class. My next class is 2/8/07. Too bad I am having to wait 2 weeks. But On top of this--BC/BS says put out of the $350 program fee--I will get a coverage of only $250. Hey--who am I to complain. They are just holding that until after my surgery. That amount will go towards my protien drinks, Soup and new diet that will take place. If all goes well--the latter part of Feb or early days of March-07 can be my start to a new life. I live in the NW corner in Desoto county. It's going to be a friendship changing event......L

Good Morning, Lee

Nice to hear from you. Good luck to you as you prepare for your life-changing surgery. I don't discuss my weight-loss journey unless questions are asked. I think this is a very personal decision and although I feel that all who are obese would benefit greatly from it, I don't offer details unless asked. If someone asks, I am happy to answer any qustions, explain the procedure, and even accompany them to a siminar. (I have been to so many of Dr. Woodman's meetings, I could host one myself.) I researched lap-band for a year before beginning the process. I, of course, am self-pay (Boo......... Blue Cross, Blue Shield of MS) but it is the best $667.00 per month that I have ever spent.

Who is your surgeon? I had planned to have mine in Oxford, but at the time, they only did open lap-band and quoted me a price of $44,000, so I had mine at Baptist East with Dr. Woodman, and I couldn't be happier.

Keep me informed and if I can help you in any way, just let me know.

Have a wonderful day,

:faint: Hello again....My surgeon is Dr. Weaver of St. Francis Bariactrics of Memphis, Tenn. Since the hospital is only 30 miles away--I am going to do it there. My Drs appointment is 28 Feb-07. You know to see the Dr and discuss the surgery and get the surgery date. All that is left is the nutrition class on Feb 8th. They said usually the surgery can be scheduled within 2 weeks after the 28th. I look forward to my life changing event. Mentally I feel ok and upbeat. I will gradually deal with the folks I know. Many of them think I am getting the bypass, no matter how many times I have said otherwise. It's a known fact that many feel that death looms for me on having this surgery. I say--death looms if I don't have it--sooner than it's time. I said--as of the 10th of Jan--say nothing but-"Hi and Goodbye" to everyone. Still a few have asked--when is it and so on...Even afterwards, my job will be to work hard at the gym. I am looking forward to the back pain easing up. The BP going down and my other blood tests to improve greatly. Eating salad and Soup of late has not been that bad. The binge eating has slowed tremendously. I guess my only bad habit is meat---too much in fact...That has changed for me. I have informed my children--they are my new "taste testers". I am a single Parent of 2 little guys. They are so happy as if I said--we're baking cakes each day....lol....

:hungry: :D

Today I received my appointment with Dr. King in Oxford on March 13. Like you, Kittykoo, I have BC/BS of MS. My husband changed jobs in August - left a lucrative job in industry to be a school teacher- and believe it or not, the insurance he had with his old job would have covered it. Now we are both teachers and of course, the state insurance has an exclusion policy. I hope I feel as you do after this is over! It's discouraging to think of paying this much out of pocket, but I am willing!

Susie