Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions regarding pain

Hi Everyone...

I have been having pain for the past 4 days... and was literally pain free prior to this. I have not had any vomiting other than immediately post-op. I am now having constant discomfort and tenderness in the area just above my belly button. Whenever I eat or drink anything... the pain an bloating increases... I wake up in the morning feeling the same discomfort/ sensation. I guess I am in the hopes that this is a normal post-op (almost 5 wks) problem???

Darcy

HI. i AM SORRY YOU ARE EXPERINCING SOME PAIN. I had pains off ond on for weeks. Are you having to give yourself shots in the belly? I think I got extra pains from the shots. I still have occasional pains around my port.I was banded on 5-6-04. I hope everything will fell better soon! ... Janie

Hi Janie... No... I don't have to give myself shots in the belly. I'd gladly give myself one if it would make this pain go away. I was feeling so great... was feeling thinner and more energetic... ready to face the world. Now... is morning... I wake up feeling the pain... and know if I even put Water in my tummy it will start this whole bloating and cramping thing.

Hi Marie... Nope... my port is on the left and this is right smack dab in the middle of my abdomen. It's not located near an incision either.

I am so bummed... the last thing I want to do is call my surgeon's office... I am so intimidated by his staff... I get sick to my stomach before every appointment. Needless to say... they haven't heard a peep from me since my surgery.

*sigh*

Darcy

Darcy, please call your dr. You need to know what's going on. Hopefully, it's nothing. But it would be best to find out sooner than later. Best of luck to you! Hey, you're helping pay their salary and the dr. nice cars and vacations!

O.K., deep breath, pick up phone, are they out for lunch?, O.K., dial, ask ?, wait for response. You can do it!

I have a call into the office. They will apparently call me back sometime today. In the meantime... when I drink water... I can feel it go all of the way through but get sharp pains and tons of gurgling and cramping when I do. I'm honestly just a wee bit freaked out. I tried cottage cheese early this morning and that didn't go well either. I am hungry and thirsty... but too afraid to put anything else in my stomach. I think I'll just go curl up in a ball on my bed and wait for the return call...

Darcy, I can understand your being worried, but try to relax. It could definitely be something minor. And I agree that it could actually be something that is not band-realted. I also know what it is to be to be intimidated by a doctor's staff, but just remember, you have a right to ask questions and a responsibility to your health to do so. Just ingnore whatever attitude they might give you and come to us for all the moral support you need. I sure hope you feel better quickly.

Nancy

Thanks Girls,

I am still waiting for the return call from the P.A. ... not surprised. In the meantime have been doing a little research and am thinking this might be gastritis??? The sypmtoms I am having seem to fit... so... am going to stick to warm liquids and bland foods for a few days and see what happens. I was in complete misery after drinking ice-Water... so guess that's out as far as fluids go. I'm also going to cut out the morning coffee for a couple of days as well. I also had a glass of wine the other night... that combined with my coffee might really have ticked off a stomach with gastritis. Anyhoo... done freaking... and done waiting for a return call. I'll self diagnose and self treat and send Dr. Chua's office the bill.

Thanks so much...

Darcy

Darcy, regardless of what our band tells us, the world doesn't revolve around it! How do you know this is a band related pain? Get to your primary doctor pronto!

You Know Darcy, Your pancreas is located in the middle right above the belly bottom and I have heard of gallbladder attaches in the same area. I believe they share the same ducts to the liver. You should see a doctor. I have to agree with Lisa.

I love you guys

This has been going on for a few days ... I'm going to try a bland diet and fluids for today and if the pain has not improved... or if it gets worse... I promise I will call my primary care M.D. I don't have a gallbladder... and if my pancreas was involved I'd probably be writhing on the floor in pain and barfing my guts out. The discomfort is less this afternoon after avoiding food... so... as long as I can completely avoid eating or drinking... everything should be JUST fine!:)

Seriously... I hate pain... I will have this attended to if it continues even with my poor attempts at self-treatment. I love my primary care M.D. and his staff... so it would be a total pleasure to go there instead of to my surgeon's office.

Right now... I am just enjoying that my stomach seems to have settled down for the time being. I'm starving... but when I weigh avoiding pain against calming hunger... I'll stick to avoiding pain.

THis site rocks... I can't tell you how being able to come here and post and get caring replies helped me to calm myself down and problem solve.

(((hugs)))

No. No, no, no. At least make an appointment for your primary doctor for Wednesday or Thursday. If the pain comes back, at least you'll have the appointment. You can always cancel it.

Repeat 100 times: nightingale2me

Hi Darcy, I think you should call your primary care physician and see what he says. Have you had any problems in the past with the band? I hope you get an answer soon.