Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In my opinion, going through a huge lifestyle change is very similar to grief. There will be some denial, anger and a plethora of other emotions before we get to acceptance. The same goes for how our family and friends will deal with us. Initially, they may have lost their "pig out" partner and there will be some emotion tied to that. However, in the long run we will live a fuller life and be able to enjoy that life with them.

So very, very true!

Thank you SOOOO much!! You make me fel like I am not so crazy after all to have these frustrations :-)

I am oon the right path in some ways:

1. I have a pill box (had one lying around for trips out of town, but just told my husband that I needed to start using it because I couldn't REMEMBER if I took alllll the pills or not! SO, I have implemented that.

2. I bought the Miralax at the suggestion of a girl in my drs office who, she herself, is about 7 months sleeved, becuase she said she too ALWAYS has to take it a few times a week to prevent Constipation and that she "stays consipated"....lol.... I took a dose 2 days ago after my "suppository incident" and I probably need to take it again today...oy!

3. I have been really JUST trying to JUST get to 60g.... 80 is too much for me to even consider seeing as though after 4-5 bites..... I am done. Also, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE every.single.protein shake I have tried (isopure unflavored-powder, Isopure fruit punch (ready made), Isopure Grape Frost (ready made), Boost Calorie Control, Pure Protein- chocolate, unjury chocolate (too sweet post op and just don't like it because I am TIRED of "drinking" crap....... and Premier Protein.... I can only HALFWAY tolerate the Premier Chocolate.... the vanilla is disgusting and makes me wanna vomit. I truly WANT to get ALL of my Protein from food since I am now on soft foods, but my limited ability to take in more than 3-4 bites is not helping. Add that to the fact that for the past week and a day.... I have been stalled (further adding to my aggravation..... hell, if I could still SEE more than the 12lbs I lost, I would feel like allllllllllllllllll this frustration was worth it! lol)

4. The good thing is: I LOVE TO EAT THINGS THAT HAD PARENTS ! lol I have allllllllllllways been a meat eater.... love, love, LOVE meat!!! (problem is.... right now, i can only do 3-4 bites :angry: whch makes it harder to get the protein in, in that way). I do like edamame and have some in my freezer that I am going to pull out today :) , and I do NOT have a sweet tooth, so dessert is no biggie to scratch off of the list.... I could take it or really..... leave it (thank GOD for small miracles!!! LOL)

5. Also, the bad thing is : I am a loooooooooover of bread, Pasta, sauces (guess that's what brought me to this point, huh?) So, it is hard with allllllll the comercials and food out there that falls into THOSE categories, to figure out how/what to cook anymore...... I don't want to have my whole family be devoid of Pasta, etc. just because "I" am! So, I know on some days that I will prob have to make two seperate meals...... Also.... have you heard of the pasta by Quest (sepaking of them...) I want to try them, but don't know if they are the same as regular pasta for our systems.... see link --->http://www.questproteinbar.com/pasta/ what are your thoughts on this??

6. Protein bars: I have ALREADY stocked up on about 5 that I want to try (doc said cant try it until 8 weeks, so I have a little ways to go, but in trying one pre-op, they were seemingly "heavy" on my stomach even THEN, because they are so densely compacted! I needed Water and to chew it real well.... PRE OP! lol But, I will try it..... if it gives me less mess to drink..... I will try it!

you are definitely on your way!!! Go You!!!

Try the Syntrax protein powders. They have about 15 different types and they are only like 100 calories, 23 grams of protein, very little sugar/carbs. I really like them. The chocolate is great and the mint cookie is yummy. I am now using the Matrix 5.0 (a bit cheaper, longer lasting in the system) but started with the Syntrax Nectars. I like both of them. I tried, no lie, probably 20 different brands (I bought about 30 single serving packets before surgery and after surgery went through them one by one and I always come back to syntrax.

Muscle Milk premade chocolate is okay. And Syntha-6 strawberry tastes like strawberry milk to me, but it is higher in calories than I really aim for.

Oh, if you like coffee Chike iced coffee protein is pretty good too.

HTH! Give a few more a try, it really helps you get the protein in. ISOPURE is DISGUSTING....yuck, gross, never again! So I totally get you on that, but I do find that Syntrax is more like a "shake" or "latte" depending if I use milk or put in my coffee.

OK, so I have a question. When I start to eat something, something solid like chicken, I will get a few bites in, my digestive track is telling me to stop, but I get, what I can only describe as, HUNGER pains. Now, I am full, I am burping, my stomach is telling me to stop, but I feel hunger pains. They will go away about 15 minutes later, but I am sitting there with food in front of me, i have only had a few bites and my mind is telling me that I am super hungry because I have that empty feeling. Is that normal or am I nuts?

You have to learn what those feelings mean. AT the beginning I thought the same that those feelings were hunger, but for me the burp is a signal that I am full. I better not take more than one or two more bits because I am done. And it does take time for the mind to catch up to the body, so maybe that is those 15 minutes. It definitely took time for me to figure out what my full felt like and it feels different than full felt before. I would say, though, burping is a sign of full.

OK, so I have a question. When I start to eat something, something solid like chicken, I will get a few bites in, my digestive track is telling me to stop, but I get, what I can only describe as, HUNGER pains. Now, I am full, I am burping, my stomach is telling me to stop, but I feel hunger pains. They will go away about 15 minutes later, but I am sitting there with food in front of me, i have only had a few bites and my mind is telling me that I am super hungry because I have that empty feeling. Is that normal or am I nuts?

If physically your body is telling you to stop please stop. I never feel empty once I've taken a few bites. It could be acid or you're eating too fast. I felt this before I could take my ppi. My acid levels were crazy.

I also experience this when I eat too fast. I'll get this rock in the throat feeling but know I'm not yet at the satisfied (not full) stage of eating. I usually just stop eating and let it pass. So far I haven't passed out from it. ;)

I'd say stick to what feels like fullness.

I read something but cant find it again but it explains simply how the sleeve works and why some foods fill you up and others slide...basically you have a valve at the base of your stomach dense Protein rich foods will close this valve quickly and that is why they tell you protein first so that closes and you dont over eat.

Slider foods usually not the good for your new lifestyle foods will not trigger this valve and just slide on through which means no full feeling and more calories.

Also check out Emilybites.com for some yummy meals made in cupcake tins called cupcake meals...perfect size normal food and your family will love them too!

I read something but cant find it again but it explains simply how the sleeve works and why some foods fill you up and others slide...basically you have a valve at the base of your stomach dense Protein rich foods will close this valve quickly and that is why they tell you Protein first so that closes and you dont over eat.

Slider foods usually not the good for your new lifestyle foods will not trigger this valve and just slide on through which means no full feeling and more calories.

Also check out Emilybites.com for some yummy meals made in cupcake tins called cupcake meals...perfect size normal food and your family will love them too!

Thanks for this. I also heard it is protein first because we eat so much less, at least when we are full we hav gotten our necessary protein in. And in addition to the site u mentioned, check out the world according to eggface. Nice recipes!

Hi All!! I'm 3 weeks post op yesterday and really don't appreciate this little bit of food I can eat :( No one ever told me that I would never be able to eat a "meal" again. I want to be able to drink after each mouthful of food, ****, I want a mouthful of food! I have lost 15 lbs since surgery which I am happy about, but I really think that if I knew that I will NEVER be able to eat more than 1 cup of food in 1 sitting idk if I would have had surgery. Hope soon I feel different, but for now I'm really not too happy. Oh well, what's done is done, and I am happy that soon I will not be fat, but then it's the skin I have to worry about. This is depressing..... sorry to be a downer, just not too happy........................

Don't know who said u won't ever eat a me again cos u will! First few weeks r the worst, life changes and u have a lot to cope with from

liquids, mushies, getting Water in etc alongside recovering from major surgery.

But u have done a good thing for ur health and body. Give it time, life will feel better. I am 3 months out and I go out to eat socially without giving it a thought. I order starter sizes of meals or main courses and eat what I need. I eat meals, just slightly smaller than before...

And do u know what? Noone comments any more when I leave food via I am now at a size where the amount I eat is beginning to match how I look :-))))

So know how u feel, been there - but it gets soooo much better, so hang in x

Lol that should have read " won't eat a meal again"!

Thank you SOOOO much!! You make me fel like I am not so crazy after all to have these frustrations :-)

3. I have been really JUST trying to JUST get to 60g.... 80 is too much for me to even consider seeing as though after 4-5 bites..... I am done. Also, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE every.single.protein shake I have tried (isopure unflavored-powder, Isopure fruit punch (ready made), Isopure Grape Frost (ready made), Boost Calorie Control, Pure Protein- chocolate, unjury chocolate (too sweet post op and just don't like it because I am TIRED of "drinking" crap....... and Premier Protein.... I can only HALFWAY tolerate the Premier Chocolate.... the vanilla is disgusting and makes me wanna vomit. I truly WANT to get ALL of my Protein from food since I am now on soft foods, but my limited ability to take in more than 3-4 bites is not helping. Add that to the fact that for the past week and a day.... I have been stalled (further adding to my aggravation..... hell, if I could still SEE more than the 12lbs I lost, I would feel like allllllllllllllllll this frustration was worth it! lol)

About Protein drinks... keep trying until you can find something you tolerate. I have found that I'm happier with casein protein vs whey protein. It's also a milk based protein and high quality but doesn't have an aftertaste I just can't get used to like whey. At 4 months post-op, I still can't consume enough solid foods to get all of my daily protein without a drink.

I really love Click, which is a casein based Protein Drink. It comes in coffee based flavors, mocha and vanilla latte. They have a Decaf version of the mocha. Big Train also has casein based protein drinks... some coffee based flavors but chocolate and I think vanilla, too. Both manufacturers offer samples for purchase on their websites. GNC has a great return policy on their protein. If you hate it, you can return it. I just bought two tubs of Giant Sports Protein powder (cookies and cream and chocolate peanut butter) that contain both whey and casein protein and I think the flavor is much more tolerable that way. Finally, I've found how I make my Protein Drink really matters! I read on bariatricfoodie.com the blogger's method for creamy shakes and it made a huge difference. I don't want my protein drink to separate, not be cold enough, etc. She also had amazing recipes using sugar free flavor syrups, extracts, and protein powders.

Theworldaccordingtoeggface.com is another fantastic site and has great recipes for cooking things with Protein Powder.

~Kat

Your priority for each meal is to get in Protein first, then vegetables, and if there is still room carbs. Try eating slowly and chewing your food a bit more.

Here is the full story on drinking with meals .. there is a muscle at the end of your stomach. This muscle opens when liquid enters your stomach. This is why we shouldn't drink fruits and vegetables.. we are not giving out new stomachs time to absorb the nutrients. This also makes the food you have eaten go into your intestinal track if you wait to drink you will feel full for longer because the food is staying in the stomach for longer.

Disco I'm with you. I'm apparently a slowwwwwww loser. At six weeks I'm only 11 lbs down. My clothes feel no looser either. So yeah I feel your frustration.

One thing I did that has helped me is to buy the mini muffin tins. I now make a crust less mini quiche (finally something I don't throw up). I've found 3 of these keeps me full and I'm finally getting close to my Protein goal.

I also bought the mini bread loaves so I hope once I can keep more things down I'll make mini veggie/meat lasagna. Using the mini tins makes my life easier and I'm not so frustrated because the servings are perfect.

Oh that's a great idea I have both will have to try them. Thanks for the tip!

Hi All!! I'm 3 weeks post op yesterday and really don't appreciate this little bit of food I can eat :( No one ever told me that I would never be able to eat a "meal" again. I want to be able to drink after each mouthful of food' date=' ****, I want a mouthful of food! I have lost 15 lbs since surgery which I am happy about, but I really think that if I knew that I will NEVER be able to eat more than 1 cup of food in 1 sitting idk if I would have had surgery. Hope soon I feel different, but for now I'm really not too happy. Oh well, what's done is done, and I am happy that soon I will not be fat, but then it's the skin I have to worry about. This is depressing..... sorry to be a downer, just not too happy........................[/quote']

You doctor or NUT didn't share with you the amount of food the sleeve would hold? Interesting.

It will all come together for you and then you'll be on auto pilot when it comes to food portions.

My "co worker" who has also become a friend said ( multiple times) " I have other friends who have had this and you're not going to be any "fun" to go out to eat with now......"

Kinda pissed me off' date=' because whyyyy is my fun level determined by how much I can damn eat??? I will be able to have SOME , just not all !!!" She is a pretty normal weight ( 5'7, size 10), so it's not because she wants me to gorge because she actually is a huge proponent of "healthy eating" and works out 2-3x a week..... Still it ticked me off when she said that. Lol[/quote']

She's not walked in your shoes. I know my family would say to me, we can tell when you had a good time on a trip you took because all you talk about is the food you ate. Maybe she is of that mindset.

Work around her and do you!