Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG, OMG, OMMMMMMG !!!!

I think you just reached into my brain and pulled out several frustrations that I am havng too! I just didn't have the courage to post them, as I didn;t want to seem like 'negative nelly" when this IS something that I "asked" for!!!

BUT..... and this is a BIG BUT.....

I had NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO F*$N CLUE about alllllllllll of the changes that I do NOT like. Allow me to vent:

1. The fact that I will never be able to eat more than a 1/2 to cup of food (maybe thaaaaat's not too bad...LOL)

2. The fact that I will have to FOR.EVER try to get "60-80 g" of Protein EVERY DAY! FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER. That is F&$& HARD to do

3. That I will probably be constiapted (already had a bout with it, wherein, I wasn't "paying attention" to how long it had been since I went and since I have NEEEEVER been a "go every day" person)..... it was 5 days, I had to give myself a suppository, and I felt like my @$$hole was being RIPPED in two (felt worse than giving birth, I swear it did!) I am not used to having to take "supplements" to ensure my bowels move......but it seems that NOW,.....NOW...... I will....foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. And with alllllll the stuff to keep track of (how much Protein, Vitamins, Calcium, how much liquid i'm imbibing.....) &H!T is HARDER for me on a day to day basis and I haven't even gone back to work!!!! WHat happens when I am "busy" and "forget" to eat..... forget to drink (I have NEVER been a "drink alot of liquid in a day" kinda person)

4. The Vitamins. I was talkign to my 78 yr old mother ( who is and has alwasy been thin....her BIGGEST when I was probably 12 or 13 was a size 14, mostly due to her being "hippy") who takes a PLETHORA of pills every day for everything from estrogen, Calcium, HBP meds, multi Vitamin, Insulin pill.....blah, blah, blah), that it was frustrating to have to "keep up" wth when I can take this.... oh, don't take calcium near the time you take the Vitamin pill......etc". Well, she said " honey.... I have to do the same thing.... I have to remember to eat, watch what I eat, remember to take my pills at certain times", and as much as looooove my mother, I wanted to scream to her:

BUT YOU ARE 78!!!! I AM 42!!!!! I am not an older person! Yet, my "routiine" is that of someone OLD! I did this to make my life simpler, NOT MORE COMPLICATED........ and now I am stuck".

Top that off with the fact that she has NOTHING. TO. DO, but to keep up with vitamin regimens, figure out what to cook on a whim...... I work, have a husband and 9 year old and simply do not HAVE time for more complication! But..... that is my life now.....

I am totally venting..... I hope I feel differently at some point.....

I also feel that NO ONE TOLD ME what I could expect and I have THREE.... THREE friends (not super close friends) who have gone through this and those chicks never told me of allllllllllllllllll the WORK that this entails! (one is 2 years sleeved, one is 1 year and the other is 7 weeks)....... when I asked my 2yr sleeved friend she was kinda like "Ok..... so what do ya wanan know?"....

I hate that damn question...... I DON'T KNOW WHAT I DON'T KNOW!!!! TELL ME EVERYTHING...... and truthfully..... when people say "tell me about the surgery", they want to know the "bad stuff" to expect..... we can allllll see the "good"!!!

But no one, NOT even the one sleeved 7 weeks ago, told me of all the WORK that is now added to my life just to keep LIVIING.

So, again...... i feel like you do..... if i had known this, in THIS depth.... i am pretty sure I would not have done this......

#learningtolivewiththisdecision :(

First....take a deep breath..................LOL

Okay, let's continue.

It's gonna be okay. Really, it is. I am 47, have 2 teenagers a husband, my own business that I work full time and my food life IS easier! Really!

1. Vitamins, pills. Get a pill box, put your pills in it for each day of the week and you have your pills set for one week or two (depending on the pill box). I take: multi, Vitamin D, B12, Boitin and Paxil (OCD) daily. I don't worry what time I take them. My blood work has all come back fine since surgery. I don't take calcium every day because of the Constipation. Only every 3 days or so, as per my doctor.

2. Constipation. Yeah, it sucks! That is probably the biggest change for me. I use Miralax in my diet snapple a couple to three days per week. It doesn't cause dependency and it definitely helps. You can't taste it and it doesn't change the consistency of your Water, either. It totally dissolves. I am going to try Colace pills as a substitute when I get tired of the Miralax.

3. Portion sizes. Read my post right above yours. I never feel deprived. NEVER!

4. If you don't love protein I can understand it begin frustrating having to get 60 - 80 grams but if you love protein with a Protein shake or bar and then real food protein you will hit those numbers no problem. At nine months I am at about 900 calories a day and I get 80 to 100 grams of protein a day. Every day I add Protein powder to my morning coffee and as a snack probably 4 out of 7 days I have a Quest Protein Bar. Then with my other Proteins I hit my numbers easily. chicken, cheese, lunch meat, edamame are my go to Proteins.

5. And finally, remember you are just at the beginning. you CAN'T eat many calories right now, it will be hard to get the protein. Up until about 7 months I was 600 calories a day and I shot for, and mostly got 60 grams of protein. I didn't start getting the 80 grams until I got to the higher calorie amount.

6. Oops, now finally. Eating is so much easier for me now because I don't have to think about it so much. I make dinner for my family (which is healthier for them) and I eat what I should. I get the protein first and then some veggie. I usually sick the carb but last night my daughter made dinner in a skillet and it was all combined with rice so I had half a cup. No problem. Done. Full.

I don't have to make a separate meal for me and them, I just eat around what is best for me. During the day, as long as I have the stuff I need in the house it is easy for me. I actually seek out protein now because I know it fuels my body. I don't care (as much) about the junkie stuff - although I still enjoy a little ice cream or a piece of cake at a party, et cetera. And the Quest bars are seriously like a dessert.......down the road check them out.

I think you are frustrated because you see how things are right now and think that is going to be forever. It really isn't. It will progress. Try not to be discouraged. Try to take one day at a time! You're going to be okay!!!!! <3

Girl...I just want to hug you. Yes, my friend that went RnY 3 years ago, went through this. She didn't have anyone going before her that she could talk to about this stuff. I sat back and watched her so I saw all the pills, the frustration when eating, the constant liquids.

But, still it is NOT the same until you go through it. So even if your friends had told you, they may not have truly been able to get it through...if that makes sense? The thing to remember is that we are still in the building/forming habits stage.

At 3 years out, my friend has her Vitamin routine down so much that she doesn't even have to remember them, it just comes natural to her. We'll get there too. We just have to keep forming those habits.

Also, even with a 1/2 cup of food at a time, at some point our food will provide much more satiety so you will probably get back regular (which was a surprise to me because pre-op I was VERY regular). As of today I'm getting back to regular so I'm happy and eating more solids, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on eating.

Thanks girl!

JESUS! I wish you COULD give me a hug too! lol

It's just alot..... healing, getting my WHOLE life/routine, EVERY.THING turned 180 (literally) overnight! I am just struggling....... and it was not anticipated or expected for it to be THIS trying (at least for me....)

And you are right..... had they told me... I would probably have thought "well... maybe it's not THAT bad......". Just like when people say "kids are alot of work....get your rest now".... 1. you can NEVER rest enough to compensate for how damn tred you are in the first few months and 2. I woulda STILL chosen to have a baby anyway...lol

I hope that this "new habit" becomes more routine and I get better at it over time.

Sounds a little like not much research was done. Some of the things you're venting bout are commonly known once you've spent some time researching.

You are new to all this, as am I, so I expect it will all get easier and become just part of life as we get more experience doing it every day.

Sue, your suggestions are great. I've found that by adding calendar reminders on my work computer and phone, I don't have to remember when I last took my Vitamins. I get a prompt and then take them. Easier for me to do it this way.

First....take a deep breath..................LOL

Okay, let's continue.

It's gonna be okay. Really, it is. I am 47, have 2 teenagers a husband, my own business that I work full time and my food life IS easier! Really!

1. Vitamins, pills. Get a pill box, put your pills in it for each day of the week and you have your pills set for one week or two (depending on the pill box). I take: multi, Vitamin D, B12, Boitin and Paxil (OCD) daily. I don't worry what time I take them. My blood work has all come back fine since surgery. I don't take Calcium every day because of the Constipation. Only every 3 days or so, as per my doctor.

2. Constipation. Yeah, it sucks! That is probably the biggest change for me. I use Miralax in my diet snapple a couple to three days per week. It doesn't cause dependency and it definitely helps. You can't taste it and it doesn't change the consistency of your Water, either. It totally dissolves. I am going to try Colace pills as a substitute when I get tired of the Miralax.

3. Portion sizes. Read my post right above yours. I never feel deprived. NEVER!

4. If you don't love Protein I can understand it begin frustrating having to get 60 - 80 grams but if you love Protein with a protein shake or bar and then real food protein you will hit those numbers no problem. At nine months I am at about 900 calories a day and I get 80 to 100 grams of protein a day. Every day I add Protein Powder to my morning coffee and as a snack probably 4 out of 7 days I have a Quest Protein Bar. Then with my other Proteins I hit my numbers easily. chicken, cheese, lunch meat, edamame are my go to Proteins.

5. And finally, remember you are just at the beginning. you CAN'T eat many calories right now, it will be hard to get the protein. Up until about 7 months I was 600 calories a day and I shot for, and mostly got 60 grams of protein. I didn't start getting the 80 grams until I got to the higher calorie amount.

6. Oops, now finally. Eating is so much easier for me now because I don't have to think about it so much. I make dinner for my family (which is healthier for them) and I eat what I should. I get the protein first and then some veggie. I usually sick the carb but last night my daughter made dinner in a skillet and it was all combined with rice so I had half a cup. No problem. Done. Full.

I don't have to make a separate meal for me and them, I just eat around what is best for me. During the day, as long as I have the stuff I need in the house it is easy for me. I actually seek out protein now because I know it fuels my body. I don't care (as much) about the junkie stuff - although I still enjoy a little ice cream or a piece of cake at a party, et cetera. And the Quest bars are seriously like a dessert.......down the road check them out.

I think you are frustrated because you see how things are right now and think that is going to be forever. It really isn't. It will progress. Try not to be discouraged. Try to take one day at a time! You're going to be okay!!!!! <3

Thank you SOOOO much!! You make me fel like I am not so crazy after all to have these frustrations :-)

I am oon the right path in some ways:

1. I have a pill box (had one lying around for trips out of town, but just told my husband that I needed to start using it because I couldn't REMEMBER if I took alllll the pills or not! SO, I have implemented that.

2. I bought the MIralax at the suggestion of a girl in my drs office who, she herself, is about 7 months sleeved, becuase she said she too ALWAYS has to take it a few times a week to prevent constipation and that she "stays consipated"....lol.... I took a dose 2 days ago after my "suppository incident" and I probably need to take it again today...oy!

3. I have been really JUST trying to JUST get to 60g.... 80 is too much for me to even consider seeing as though after 4-5 bites..... I am done. Also, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE every.single.protein shake I have tried (Isopure unflavored-powder, Isopure fruit punch (ready made), Isopure Grape Frost (ready made), Boost Calorie Control, Pure Protein- chocolate, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate (too sweet post op and just don't like it because I am TIRED of "drinking" crap....... and Premier Protein.... I can only HALFWAY tolerate the Premier Chocolate.... the vanilla is disgusting and makes me wanna vomit. I truly WANT to get ALL of my protein from food since I am now on soft foods, but my limited ability to take in more than 3-4 bites is not helping. Add that to the fact that for the past week and a day.... I have been stalled (further adding to my aggravation..... hell, if I could still SEE more than the 12lbs I lost, I would feel like allllllllllllllllll this frustration was worth it! lol)

4. The good thing is: I LOVE TO EAT THINGS THAT HAD PARENTS ! lol I have allllllllllllways been a meat eater.... love, love, LOVE meat!!! (problem is.... right now, i can only do 3-4 bites :angry: whch makes it harder to get the protein in, in that way). I do like edamame and have some in my freezer that I am going to pull out today :) , and I do NOT have a sweet tooth, so dessert is no biggie to scratch off of the list.... I could take it or really..... leave it (thank GOD for small miracles!!! LOL)

5. Also, the bad thing is : I am a loooooooooover of bread, Pasta, sauces (guess that's what brought me to this point, huh?) So, it is hard with allllllll the comercials and food out there that falls into THOSE categories, to figure out how/what to cook anymore...... I don't want to have my whole family be devoid of Pasta, etc. just because "I" am! So, I know on some days that I will prob have to make two seperate meals...... Also.... have you heard of the pasta by Quest (sepaking of them...) I want to try them, but don't know if they are the same as regular pasta for our systems.... see link --->http://www.questproteinbar.com/pasta/ what are your thoughts on this??

6. Protein bars: I have ALREADY stocked up on about 5 that I want to try (doc said cant try it until 8 weeks, so I have a little ways to go, but in trying one pre-op, they were seemingly "heavy" on my stomach even THEN, because they are so densely compacted! I needed Water and to chew it real well.... PRE OP! lol But, I will try it..... if it gives me less mess to drink..... I will try it!

Sounds a little like not much research was done. Some of the things you're venting bout are commonly known once you've spent some time researching.

You are new to all this, as am I, so I expect it will all get easier and become just part of life as we get more experience doing it every day.

I disagree a bit with this. I had a real life (one of my best friends in the world) example and even with all the years (3 from start to finish) of research I did, still it was a surprise just how involved this process is.

I think we all think well, it won't be so bad, until you're in the thick of it. But you're right, as we keep at it, it will be much easier.

In my opinion, going through a huge lifestyle change is very similar to grief. There will be some denial, anger and a plethora of other emotions before we get to acceptance. The same goes for how our family and friends will deal with us. Initially, they may have lost their "pig out" partner and there will be some emotion tied to that. However, in the long run we will live a fuller life and be able to enjoy that life with them.

I am a just over a week out, but it has helped me to focus on what I am gaining versus what I am giving up. Will I miss eating multiple courses at a restaurant? Perhaps. But I certainly will NOT miss worrying if the booth will be too tight or holding my napkin in between my legs because my stomach pushes it off my lap. I have a million of those "this for that" scenarios, all of which remind me that it's just food...life is more than that.

My last point is that even if I never eat a large meal (or junk food) again I know for a FACT that I have already had more than my fair share of food. I have far exceeded the number of calories that I should have had. Using that very simple formula that 3500 = 1lb., my excess weight means that I have consumed at least 500,000 more calories than I needed. That's is the definition of gluttony and it's gotten me here. I've learned to accept that enough is enough, I hope you can to. It will make this journey easier and more successful.

I swore I THOUGHT I researched it..... but no one "told" me allllllllllllllll of this stuff! I consulted with my doctor, my friends (i have 3 friends who were sleeved) and NO ONE gave me the type of detail that I am finding now.......

I promise I tried as best I could....but just like I said previously...... I don't know what I don't know! And if I don't know that lets say, Constipation, is a problem, how the heck could I know to ask about it????

I just feel that as "internet/tech" savvy as I was, I had done the best I could to find out, but obviously....... i didn't know what I didn't know......

Sue, your suggestions are great. I've found that by adding calendar reminders on my work computer and phone, I don't have to remember when I last took my Vitamins. I get a prompt and then take them. Easier for me to do it this way.

Great idea! I'm going to adopt this.....

Hi All!! I'm 3 weeks post op yesterday and really don't appreciate this little bit of food I can eat :( No one ever told me that I would never be able to eat a "meal" again. I want to be able to drink after each mouthful of food, ****, I want a mouthful of food! I have lost 15 lbs since surgery which I am happy about, but I really think that if I knew that I will NEVER be able to eat more than 1 cup of food in 1 sitting idk if I would have had surgery. Hope soon I feel different, but for now I'm really not too happy. Oh well, what's done is done, and I am happy that soon I will not be fat, but then it's the skin I have to worry about. This is depressing..... sorry to be a downer, just not too happy........................

what do u mean no one told you? the nutritionist didnt tell u? dont you think that eating more than one cup of food, or even mouthfuls of food is what made the surgery necessary in the first place? kind of ironic. I'm hoping not to feel this...cuz im a bonafide foodie. #scared

everyones advice was well put...good luck :)

OMG, OMG, OMMMMMMG !!!!

I think you just reached into my brain and pulled out several frustrations that I am havng too! I just didn't have the courage to post them, as I didn;t want to seem like 'negative nelly" when this IS something that I "asked" for!!!

BUT..... and this is a BIG BUT.....

I had NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO F*$N CLUE about alllllllllll of the changes that I do NOT like. Allow me to vent:

1. The fact that I will never be able to eat more than a 1/2 to cup of food (maybe thaaaaat's not too bad...LOL)

2. The fact that I will have to FOR.EVER try to get "60-80 g" of Protein EVERY DAY! FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER. That is F&$& HARD to do

3. That I will probably be constiapted (already had a bout with it, wherein, I wasn't "paying attention" to how long it had been since I went and since I have NEEEEVER been a "go every day" person)..... it was 5 days, I had to give myself a suppository, and I felt like my @$$hole was being RIPPED in two (felt worse than giving birth, I swear it did!) I am not used to having to take "supplements" to ensure my bowels move......but it seems that NOW,.....NOW...... I will....foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. And with alllllll the stuff to keep track of (how much Protein, Vitamins, Calcium, how much liquid i'm imbibing.....) &H!T is HARDER for me on a day to day basis and I haven't even gone back to work!!!! WHat happens when I am "busy" and "forget" to eat..... forget to drink (I have NEVER been a "drink alot of liquid in a day" kinda person)

4. The Vitamins. I was talkign to my 78 yr old mother ( who is and has alwasy been thin....her BIGGEST when I was probably 12 or 13 was a size 14, mostly due to her being "hippy") who takes a PLETHORA of pills every day for everything from estrogen, Calcium, HBP meds, multi Vitamin, Insulin pill.....blah, blah, blah), that it was frustrating to have to "keep up" wth when I can take this.... oh, don't take calcium near the time you take the Vitamin pill......etc". Well, she said " honey.... I have to do the same thing.... I have to remember to eat, watch what I eat, remember to take my pills at certain times", and as much as looooove my mother, I wanted to scream to her:

BUT YOU ARE 78!!!! I AM 42!!!!! I am not an older person! Yet, my "routiine" is that of someone OLD! I did this to make my life simpler, NOT MORE COMPLICATED........ and now I am stuck".

Top that off with the fact that she has NOTHING. TO. DO, but to keep up with vitamin regimens, figure out what to cook on a whim...... I work, have a husband and 9 year old and simply do not HAVE time for more complication! But..... that is my life now.....

I am totally venting..... I hope I feel differently at some point.....

I also feel that NO ONE TOLD ME what I could expect and I have THREE.... THREE friends (not super close friends) who have gone through this and those chicks never told me of allllllllllllllllll the WORK that this entails! (one is 2 years sleeved, one is 1 year and the other is 7 weeks)....... when I asked my 2yr sleeved friend she was kinda like "Ok..... so what do ya wanan know?"....

I hate that damn question...... I DON'T KNOW WHAT I DON'T KNOW!!!! TELL ME EVERYTHING...... and truthfully..... when people say "tell me about the surgery", they want to know the "bad stuff" to expect..... we can allllll see the "good"!!!

But no one, NOT even the one sleeved 7 weeks ago, told me of all the WORK that is now added to my life just to keep LIVIING.

So, again...... i feel like you do..... if i had known this, in THIS depth.... i am pretty sure I would not have done this......

#learningtolivewiththisdecision :(

i know what you mean about liquids and Proteins. im the same way (pre-op) with liquids, and im still trying to figure out how i will get in protein since i dont like almost ANY of these disgusting-fake-sugar-having Protein drinks and powders. (im ranting on ur rant lol)

anywhooooo, the vitamin bit. i feel u on that too. i got a daily vitamin keeper, and STILL forget to take em. i've just never been a medicine taker/pill popper. but as with all things on this journey...it will b an adjustment

whooooo my sista! talk about a vent. I think maybe they didnt mention it, because it has become an integral part of their life. to them, it may not be such a bad thing.

I'm 7 mos out and would never dream of eating more than a little bit at a meal. This is why I had the surgery and love it.

Actually, the new small amount you will be eating (less than a cup) is NORMAL for a human. We are so conditioned to over eat that we no longer know what a normal serving is. I'm so glad I can no eat and LOOK like a pig.

OK, so I have a question. When I start to eat something, something solid like chicken, I will get a few bites in, my digestive track is telling me to stop, but I get, what I can only describe as, HUNGER pains. Now, I am full, I am burping, my stomach is telling me to stop, but I feel hunger pains. They will go away about 15 minutes later, but I am sitting there with food in front of me, i have only had a few bites and my mind is telling me that I am super hungry because I have that empty feeling. Is that normal or am I nuts?

I get hungry. So, my Vitamins almost count as a mini meal and stave off the hunger for another hour or so. I take them with milk so they are not on an empty stomach and I am using chewable multi (Centrum) and gummi Calcium (citracal yummy!) and practically look forward to taking them. You will find what works for you.

And everybody's capacity is different. When I went to support and people a year out were still having issues with 2oz., I felt like the freak in the room. I got rid of Protein shakes/powders as soon as I was off post op liquid phase and have been eating 3oz. Protein regularly, plus fruit or veggie. Maybe this will be you too!

If you eat out, as you cut small and chew well, nobody will think much of it because you'll still be eating when they finish. Ask for a to go box right when food is served and nobody will know how much you ate or put away!

Embrace your decision and move forward! No turning back, right? That's the pep talk I had with myself on Day 4 and have not regretted it since. You can do this!!!

OK' date=' so I have a question. When I start to eat something, something solid like chicken, I will get a few bites in, my digestive track is telling me to stop, but I get, what I can only describe as, HUNGER pains. Now, I am full, I am burping, my stomach is telling me to stop, but I feel hunger pains. They will go away about 15 minutes later, but I am sitting there with food in front of me, i have only had a few bites and my mind is telling me that I am super hungry because I have that empty feeling. Is that normal or am I nuts?[/quote']

Are you waiting at least 10 minutes after drinking to eat? Measure out your portion, cut small, chew well, eat slow? If you are doing all this, chicken may just not be your friend right now.

I can do filet mignon, but not sirloin steak. So try dark vs. breast, boiled vs. baked. Or sliced lunch meat chicken to solve your mystery. Good luck.