Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits January Challenge

Good to see you back in town, DeltaDawn! In fact, you're one of our STARS!!! I note that on the thread for super-sized bandsters, starting BMI over 50, people were jumping all over you for advice when you posted a loss of 146 lbs in nine months. Congratulations on getting through the holidays with a drop in weight rather than a gain. Whenever I get discouraged, I think of you and Julie for inspiration.

Julie, I just *knew* your scale would be in the 220s today, but a three-pound drop??!!!! WOW!!!

Kat, I have heated my house with wood for years, but I have never once cut and split it myself -- I'm much too fearful of chainsaws, and an axe? Forget it! Let's just say I'm a klutz with tools -- so I applaud your courage and gumption in tackling such a job. Although I do admit to getting some exercise benefit from all the wood stacking and shlepping I do. When you say you've lost more than 51 inches, please tell me what you're measuring to get that number. I'm an idiot, I never bothered to take any measurements when I started my weight loss, other than weight that is. And thank you for the very sweet compliment on my writing. I've been a wordsmith all my life, a classicist by training and an editor by profession, so yep, words are most definitely my thing!

It's fun having my daughter home on semester break. She's very excited about the fact that I am now able to do a lot more physically demanding activities with her, like hiking and skating. She came to my stretch class this a.m., and she'll try my yoga class tomorrow.

April 2006 Bandits January Challenge: SIX days of exercise completed

I measure---

bust

upper abdominals

waist

hips

thigh (standing with hands down, I measure right at the fingertip)

calves

upper arms ( relaxed against the body)

I only add the inches lost from one arm and leg! That is just how they do it there....

These are the measurements they take at Curves as well as my weight, and body fat %. For my own measurments, which I did the week before banding I have also tracked my neck, and just under the breast, for bra strap sizing, and cup comparison. It seemed my cup size was increasing rather than dropping as the rest of me is, but I am losing huge amounts of back fat....so it is making my bras fit differently, and consequently the cup size has gone up.

Now I am on the 4 foot wall at curves!!! I also received a new Tshirt from them for making the 4 foot club...and ordered it in an XL....not a 3X!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

Kat

Hi All.............seems like all are doing great!

Kat, can't imagine going out in that brrrrrrry stuff to chop wood...........it's only 40ish here in the NW and I'm a wus about going out and working in the yard to clean up some of the mess from our winds................we're supposed to get some real cold weather in a couple of days...........my old So. Calif. past is catching up with me and I'm shivering just thinking about it!

Delta Dawn...............you inspire us all...............wow - you are so close to "onederland".

Julie............you are beyond words.............you must be so excited to really "be" in the 20's.

Did my NIA class this morning - just love it - who would have thought that I would ever say that about an exercise class?

Dawn, welcome back and congratulations on your weight loss. Kat, your life is amazing, I can't imagining chopping my own wood and not losing a limb! Congratulations Julie on your 3 # weight loss.

It's getting cold here on Long Island, just got back from Curves 40min. workout.

Roberta

Yea for all of us! We're doing so well! Woohoo! Dancing bananas for us today, don't you think?

:welldone::purplebananna::cool:

Roberta, so glad you got to Curves today. How is your asthma doing? Are you having a better month with it so far? It's getting cold in the city too. I just turned on my heat after such a lovely, warm weekend.

Betty, I know what you mean about loving your NIA class. I don't think I can say I LOVE my running routine yet, but I'm in strong like. I ran for 20 minutes with no break tonight and I felt like a champ. I almost felt like an athelete -- not quite, but almost. Maybe after my race. Speaking of my race, I mentioned it at work today and one of my colleagues decided to join me. No backing out now! Plus, she's a girl I've always wanted to be closer friends with and now we have a social outlet. So exciting....

Kat, what is the 4 foot wall? I was thinking it was a climbing wall, but now that I think about it, it must be all the inches you've lost total over 4 feet. Is that it? If so, SO EXCITING! And how cool that you get a t-shirt for it! I love it! Congratulations on going down in t-shirt sizes too. Woohoo!

Bluehill, my WL pattern is that I lose about 5 lbs in just a couple of days, then two of the five settle back on. Then I don't lose anything for about 10 days, then the cycle repeats. It comes out to about 10 lbs per month, but on the days when I lose 2 or 3 lbs in one swoop are exciting. I'll try not to be too depressed when the rebound lbs hit in a day or two. Hopefully I'll drop a little more before that happens. My body still owes me a little (knock on wood). I'm so glad you're having fun with your daughter and that she's impressed with your activity. That must be fabulous. I'm so proud of us all!

Dawn, I'm so jazzed that you're into running! I can't wait for you to hit Onederland. I won't even be jealous, I'm just going to jump for joy for you, then go out and run a mile in your honor. I'm loving my couch to runner program. I'd been doubling it (meaning running each run two days before moving to the next one -- you're only supposed to run it once but I wanted to slow it down since I'm still quite heavy) but now I've got to pick up the pace to be able to do 4 miles next month at my race. I know you live in a remote area, but are there any races you can participate in, maybe in the spring? Boo says races are amazing....

Yep! Races are amazing! At the start, you have to work hard to relax and focus to keep your heart rate down. Also, there is a tendency to overrun in the beginning and get too worn out to sustain a steady pace.

I am running a 5K in March with co-workers. I really prefer to run alone, so I will have to pace myself and not push harder than I should. (They are all ten years younger and race regularly) My goal is to beat my last time and get in my running zone, instead of trying to prove anything. (Down deep there is a competitor inside that needs much more conditioning!)

I'm so proud of all of your big losses! HUGE applause!

I've hit another plateau, but will remain patient. (Hi, Betty...sound familiar?) Sometimes there will be a three or four pound loss in the last week of the month. At this point, losing four pounds in a month is thrilling!

Hi Julie,thanks for aking about my asthma. I'm doing very well this year due to the mild weather. I've also been very proactive since my hospitalization last year for my asthma. However, the weather is getting cold now, and by the weekend it's going back up to the high 50's, that's when my asthma is usually trigger so time will tell. In the meantime I'm trying to use this time to my advantage and maybe...just maybe, I'll be able to meet this month's challenge. I sure wish my knees and asthma would allow me to join you in your run.

Boo, my pattern for weight loss is the same, nothing until the last week of the month and then....boom! 5#'s gone. Hey, I'll take it!!!

Roberta

Well, my run last night paid off again this morning with another skipped number on the scale. I'll try not to be too depressed tomorrow or Thursday when the rebound happens. For the moment, WOOHOO 225!

Yes Julie, it refers to losing over 48"! But even I can likely scale a 4 foot wall now!!! My scale is finally back down to where it was prior to my holiday fun!!! It is sure slow moving tho!! I wish Spring would hurry---I miss being outdoors and doing things!

I did a workout video this morning, was actually quite fun, my granddaughter was right there trying to keep up as well!!! I think I will keep doing them with her, get her used to moving early---maybe it will stick in her. Most habits and personality traits develop by 3 years of age---maybe this will be good for her!! I found this set in the mall on clearance at Waldenbooks, it is a "Dummies" series, there is Beginning Yoga, Fat to Firm, 15 minute workouts, and Pilates. You know the Windows for Dummies books, these are exercise DVD's for Dummies in the above titles. We did the Yoga. A total of 45 minutes. Tonight DH and I will be weight lifting again. I wasn't as sore as I expected to be last time! I am enjoying doing this WITH him. I was ashamed to try to do anything exercise wise with anyone for a long time, now, he is only 2 pounds (yes 2 pounds) lighter than I am, and he is so encouraging--it is fun. We have a good marriage, I never had any complaints, other than the usual, living with someone little things everyone deals with. But this is such a good thing---he is right there with me as I am lifting the weights, and we are totally focused on one another, and looking at one another, and laughing, and encouraging, it is something I am VERY glad we have decided to do. We walk together...but that is side by side, and we talk and laugh---but the eye contact is such a plus! I can see the pride shining in his eyes, it is hard to explain--but it is a keeper for working out. This was great fun with my little DGD this morning as well, seeing her look at the TV and then look at me, and try so hard to copy it. I kept thinking, "honey don't look at me, I know no more than you do!!!". She was unhappy when the video ended! I would never have thought I would associate all these exercise activities with fun. But it is! Thanks for helping me stay motivated until I figured this out!!! You gals are awesome!

Kat

I woked out inside this morning... -20 celcius with a windchill of -35 kept me in ... I wonder why??? So I did my 2 min and 1.5 minutes interval using a step. It worked well and I felt good. I ordered on interval watch from running room.

I just wanted to tell you how much you all inspire me everyday... to keep going. I am hoping to hit onderland before Easter.... realistic goals are the thing to me these days.

I can't get my ticker to work today :)

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/ 211/ 179

kat what a fun morning you had with your DGD! What wonderful expressions of love for your husband, few people today feel that way. Your both very fortunate to have each other.

Yes, Boo...............I do know about those plataues! I sure would be happy tho with your weight and your height (penis envy - SORRY!).

Well, woke up this morning and thought - 'you dummy, get a fill'! I had my last fill almost 3 months ago.............was very tight...........still am in the morning and lunch time, but eve's (when I'm careful) am "too" open. I say when I'm careful because I still have issues - should know better - with sometimes not chewing good the first few bites - this has been the hardest thing to contend with for me - I've always been such a "gulper".......and of course it happend to me tonight on some baked chicken...........................so, I'm really at a loss as to what I should do. I'm probably better off just staying where I'm at for now with my fill............wish it was not such an open question! I just have to get my act together and "act as if".................altho I've never been able to do that without the band, so if the band is not at it's optimum for me????????.............just ranting. I'm the only one who can decide if I need a fill.

Dawn............we're supposed to get some snow (possibley) tomorrow.............I can't image what you go through......how do you get adjusted to -20C??????

You are all doing awsome with the exercise.............I'm going to keep up........did our 1 hour rt walk to Breakfast.

Betty,

Maybe you've tried this, but in case you haven't, I thought I'd offer it. At certain points of the month, I'm too loose, particularly at lunch. For whatever reason, I'm a backwards bandster and I'm looser at lunch than at dinner. Anyway, since I prefer to be a little too loose than a little too tight and since my restriction varies a lot with my cycle, there are about 10 days in each month when I could eat a lot more volume at lunch that I "should."

So, what I do on those days is drink ice cold Water right before I eat lunch (within about 5 minutes of eating). Cold Water really tightens me up. Then I eat and I get full as if it's the normal time of the month instead of the too loose time of the month. It works pretty well, most of the time.

You might give it a try if you haven't already.

I had a good workout with my trainer tonight, followed by a good talk with my Dad about my PS in April. It's all very exciting, these changes.

Take care, Julie