Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just an observation...not intended to offend anyone

I agree so much! I am going to drink as much broth as I can stand and then some. I am hoping I will be repulsed by non healthy foods and can just feel full for once in my life.

One unexpected side effect of this surgery for me is that I no longer have a sweet tooth. I can only have a bite or two of something sweet and I am completely done! If I have to much it makes me queazy. Never expected to be nauseated by sweets! Lol :)

I have everything in moderation (5 months out) and it's worked great for me! :) Everyone is different I guess

I'm with you.. I thoroughly enjoyed the three and a half months I spent doing my 800 calorie VLCD prior to surgery. We all have different vices and things we need to give up or severely restrict. For me, I drink diet soda on occasion since it is neither a problem for me nor is it forbidden on my plan, but I avoid Cereal grains since they turn me into a crazy eating machine! I would love to get to the point where I can enjoy say, half of a corn tortilla with my meal but I'll work on that later.. for now it's off the menu and I'm FINE with that. I do want to learn moderation in all things, but for right now, I'm better off just eliminating certain things. It's not a punishment, it's an opportunity!

I am 6 days post-op and feeling pretty good. But the more I read the more it amazes me how badly people want to get back to old habits. The questions of 'when can I eat this again'' date=' and 'when can I have that' seem to be posted by the hundreds. I have to say I am in NO hurry to eat again. I don't want to visit 'Starbucks' or my local 'bar' as that is partially what put me in this position. Please don't take this the wrong way, I know some of you are just trying to get a feel for what is to come and when you can start doing some things. I just want to reiterate that this surgery is a tool and changes are desperately needed to be successful! Now is the perfect time to make those changes. Bring on the broth! ;)[/quote']

As I was walking home 2.35 miles, I was talking myself out of the Sleeve & said I can do this on my own. Then I remember my other attempts and how poorly I achieved results because my eating habits sucked!

I said to myself...I need this opportunity to change my relationship with food. The pre/post op diet is perfect for retraining the brain. I wanna live. I've tasted enough pizzas to know what they taste like. So I won't look for ways to add that stuff back.

Especially now that I know I can make a cauliflower crust pizza low carb baby...lol

Thanks for sharing.

What a wonderful life...

I also tried many times to talk myself out of surgery and ended up prolonging it for several years. In that time I yo-yoed and felt pretty miserable. I was sleeved June 12th and total (pre and post op) weight loss is 40 pounds so far. The best outcome has been coming off of my diabetes meds. People keep asking me what foods do I miss eating and I can't say that I really miss anything. I am satisfied with what I eat and although food smells good I know that I feel better now than food ever made me feel. As time goes on I am sure I will be able to add back certain foods as long as I am reasonable about them and keep to a plan. That seems much more doable than ever before. My main goal is to have alternatives when the food choice is not what I feel I require. Sometimes that means lugging my cooler everywhere I go or having things in my purse that fit my needs. I'm not afraid to sit in a restaurant with friends and eat something I brought in rather than something off of the menu. The main thing is that I DO NOT complain, whine or make a big deal about doing this. I make out like its fine and normal if someone brings it up and I let them know it is my choice. Then I focus on a good time in good company and I do not let the talk center around my smaller stomach. This new lifestyle is not meant to hold you back but instead it's purpose is to help you spring forward and give you a new focus. Best wishes on your path forward!

I agree, now is the time to develop the habits and change the mindset, and learn your own path to success. No two people will walk the same path to get to the same point. I've found that the time I'm spending in the loss phase is really starting to show me what it's going to take for me. I eliminated pop. I limit bread, rice, Pasta. I follow the rules for sleeved patients. I count and restrict calories, and I count protien. Other than that, I don't restrict much. I will have a little cake on special occasions. I have had a drink once in a while at an event. But, overwhelmingly, I follow the plan. So far, it is working for me. I never want to go back to my old ways - been there, done that, and I know the outcome.

I don't know, I'm with the OP on this one. I have a weird reaction to the whole "I did this so that I could live and not diet" thing. I promise, I'm not directing this at the one poster that said this in this thread. Honestly, no personal offense intended, as it's really meant in a more general sense! Especially considering I'm only 2 months out, my opinions on this may change as I keep changing, but here's my take on the "living" vs "dieting" thing...

I don't want to be on a diet for the rest of my life. That isn't my plan or my intention. However, for me, eating like a "normal" person has always been "dieting!" It's not necessarily sticking to a rigid food plan and regularly exercising, because let's face it, if that's how I dieted, I may not have needed the sleeve! ;) But for me, regularly making consciously healthy choices (in both food and activity) and only indulging in moderation IS dieting! Again, maybe not GOOD dieting lol but that's how I've lived on any diet that's ever worked for me. And while it feels like a "diet" to my food addict brain, it's really just healthy, food conscious living.

In a lot of ways, I do feel like I will be on this "diet" for the rest of my life, but only because I know the downward food spiral I end up on when I over indulge or indulge at all in my trigger foods. Much the way an alcoholic makes a decision every day to not get drunk/drink, and an ex smoker makes the decision not to have a cigarette, I believe I will have to make a choice everyday to live a healthy life, including indulging carefully and moderately and only on foods that don't act as triggers for me. And perhaps I do actually fall into the category of "not dieting" because I will indulge for some cravings, but after a lifetime of poor choices and massive portions, I know that I am a food addict. Along with my capacity being reduced, I also have to focus on what, and how much, I'm willing to put into my body, and that has always been "dieting" to me.

So the whole "I didn't do this to be on a diet" thing bugs me, because for me, it implies a lack of thought of effort about what goes in our bodies. However, my "diet" follow the lines of a lot of the people who "refuse to live on a diet," it just seems to take this food addict much more conscious effort! Lol

Just another reminder that so much of this journey is mental/emotional! And everyone has to find what works for them! :)

I really needed to read this today. Deep thanks to all who posted! :wub:

I'm 9 days post-op and I've been so, so sad. My post-op diet is basically Protein shakes and pureed Soups. I'm limited to 4 oz per meal, and I'm hungry almost around the clock. I've been longing for the day when I can introduce more food. But the truth is, whatever that food is, it will never be enough.

I'm only a tiny fraction of the way through processing this, but the thought that pops into my head right now is: relax into the plan. My post-op diet couldn't be more clear, and it's obviously keeping me from eating the foods that were killing me.

Oh my goodness, I have so much mental work to do! :rolleyes:

I agree I'm 6months out and still don't eat bread , rice , Pasta , potatoes .. They feel me up to fast and I want to make it to goal 15 pounds to go I'm on no rush to eat these things .. Imma hold out as long as I can Protein and veggies for me

The problem with some sleevers is that body is changing but not their mind. I did not cheat on my pre or post-op diet and had no desire to do so. My only indulgence was during my 25th anniversary dinner while on vacation. I went to places where eating healthy was hard but I chose wisely and lost three pounds with all the walking during my vacation much to the chagrin of my wife.

I bristle every time I read the posts you mentioned but to each his/her own. I have lost weight many times during my life and always gained it back. I am not looking for my next Big Mac, hotdog, or whatever unhealthy food I ate copious amounts on my way to 309 and they shouldn't either. Can I eat things I want in moderation? Yes, I can but choose the healthiest options possible. I applaud those who take the fact that they had to have wls serious and encourage those who aren't to get on board.

I don't know, I'm with the OP on this one. I have a weird reaction to the whole "I did this so that I could live and not diet" thing. I promise, I'm not directing this at the one poster that said this in this thread. Honestly, no personal offense intended, as it's really meant in a more general sense! Especially considering I'm only 2 months out, my opinions on this may change as I keep changing, but here's my take on the "living" vs "dieting" thing...

I don't want to be on a diet for the rest of my life. That isn't my plan or my intention. However, for me, eating like a "normal" person has always been "dieting!" It's not necessarily sticking to a rigid food plan and regularly exercising, because let's face it, if that's how I dieted, I may not have needed the sleeve! ;) But for me, regularly making consciously healthy choices (in both food and activity) and only indulging in moderation IS dieting! Again, maybe not GOOD dieting lol but that's how I've lived on any diet that's ever worked for me. And while it feels like a "diet" to my food addict brain, it's really just healthy, food conscious living.

In a lot of ways, I do feel like I will be on this "diet" for the rest of my life, but only because I know the downward food spiral I end up on when I over indulge or indulge at all in my trigger foods. Much the way an alcoholic makes a decision every day to not get drunk/drink, and an ex smoker makes the decision not to have a cigarette, I believe I will have to make a choice everyday to live a healthy life, including indulging carefully and moderately and only on foods that don't act as triggers for me. And perhaps I do actually fall into the category of "not dieting" because I will indulge for some cravings, but after a lifetime of poor choices and massive portions, I know that I am a food addict. Along with my capacity being reduced, I also have to focus on what, and how much, I'm willing to put into my body, and that has always been "dieting" to me.

So the whole "I didn't do this to be on a diet" thing bugs me, because for me, it implies a lack of thought of effort about what goes in our bodies. However, my "diet" follow the lines of a lot of the people who "refuse to live on a diet," it just seems to take this food addict much more conscious effort! Lol

Just another reminder that so much of this journey is mental/emotional! And everyone has to find what works for them! :)

You did say one thing that I really agree with...you are in the beginning and your opinions may change. In one month I will be two years out, and I have changed my way of thinking about food on so many levels so many times. Saying that I didn't do this surgery to be on a diet is very true for me. I wanted to be able to enjoy food still...just not to much of it. I was a strong food addict...very bad before surgery. My every thought was about food. I would wake up wandering what I would eat, then right after Breakfast I would already be imagining what I was going to eat next. I would sneak away to eat. I would go to the store and buy 4-6 candy bars and eat them all in one sitting. I would finish all of my food and sit there watching everyone else eating their food and if they had left overs would sometimes take theirs.

It was really bad. That was one thing I was scared about was not being able to control myself and eating all of the wrong foods and failing at this. But the opposite happened. This surgery has helped me retrain my brain. I no longer live to eat, I eat to live. It is so incredably freeing not to have every thought be about food. I have to remind myself to eat at times!

When I say I did not do this surgery to be on a diet for the rest of my life it means to me that I don't want to count calories, carbs, Protein, and eat diet food for the rest of my life....constantly saying to myself....oh no, you can't eat that...you are on a diet. I did this to live again, and well, mission accomplished. I can honestly say that I am no longer addicted to food! I also can say for the first time in 19 years that no, I am not on a diet, I just have a new outlook on food and I chose not to let it rule my life anymore. Good luck to you! :)

I am finally in maintenance stage...and I can tell you that I feel completely normal now. I do still have a lot of restriction' date=' so I can't have everything that I used to be able to. However I don't act like I am on a diet anymore. If there is something I want, then I have it...just a lot less then I used to before surgery. I feel strongly that if there is something I want and I tell myself I can't have it...then I find myself obsessing over it until I just break down anyways...and then usually I go overboard. I have learned a lot in this process. I feel incredably lucky to have been able to give myself this gift, and I don't intend on waisting it...but I also don't intend on being on a diet for the rest of my life. I did this so I could LIVE again. I really feel like I am finally living my life the way I always wanted to! :) good luck to all of you! :)[/quote']

I needed to read this. I can't wait for this day to come for me.

You did say one thing that I really agree with...you are in the beginning and your opinions may change. In one month I will be two years out' date=' and I have changed my way of thinking about food on so many levels so many times. Saying that I didn't do this surgery to be on a diet is very true for me. I wanted to be able to enjoy food still...just not to much of it. I was a strong food addict...very bad before surgery. My every thought was about food. I would wake up wandering what I would eat, then right after Breakfast I would already be imagining what I was going to eat next. I would sneak away to eat. I would go to the store and buy 4-6 candy bars and eat them all in one sitting. I would finish all of my food and sit there watching everyone else eating their food and if they had left overs would sometimes take theirs.

It was really bad. That was one thing I was scared about was not being able to control myself and eating all of the wrong foods and failing at this. But the opposite happened. This surgery has helped me retrain my brain. I no longer live to eat, I eat to live. It is so incredably freeing not to have every thought be about food. I have to remind myself to eat at times!

When I say I did not do this surgery to be on a diet for the rest of my life it means to me that I don't want to count calories, carbs, Protein, and eat diet food for the rest of my life....constantly saying to myself....oh no, you can't eat that...you are on a diet. I did this to live again, and well, mission accomplished. I can honestly say that I am no longer addicted to food! I also can say for the first time in 19 years that no, I am not on a diet, I just have a new outlook on food and I chose not to let it rule my life anymore. Good luck to you! :)[/quote']

Like I said, my post really wasn't directed at any one person. And while I'm only 2 months out from my sleeve surgery, I'm 10 years out from my Lapband and after great success for the first 2 years, I gained everything back after a slip because I never changed my eating habits. I only ate less of the foods I wanted. When my restriction changed, the weight came right back. That's why I am staying so focused on changing the way I eat and not just how much of it. But everyone has to find what works for them and you've clearly done that, and that's fantastic. Good luck to you too.

When I went to get my Psych Evaluation, I mentioned to the Doctor that I've read on here (VST) many posters saying how the mental/emotional aspect hasn't caught up with the weight loss. His suggestion was to seek counseling. Go to the group meetings, get assistance with your mental/emotional part of this lifestyle change before its too overwhelming.

This forum is helpful but a trained professional can help us all through the myriad of changes we all may/are facing. Good luck to all.

What a wonderful life...