Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just an observation...not intended to offend anyone

When I went to get my Psych Evaluation' date=' I mentioned to the Doctor that I've read on here (VST) many posters saying how the mental/emotional aspect hasn't caught up with the weight loss. His suggestion was to seek counseling. Go to the group meetings, get assistance with your mental/emotional part of this lifestyle change before its too overwhelming.

This forum is helpful but a trained professional can help us all through the myriad of changes we all may/are facing. Good luck to all.

What a wonderful life...[/quote']

I started counseling 3 months before surgery. After everything I went through with the Lapband, I knew I needed to get my head in the right place before I even scheduled! It's been critical in dealing with all the changes, even the ones I've been through before. I definitely second your post! I don't think there's anyone (WLS or not) who couldn't benefit, at least a little, from having a trained third party to talk to!! :)

I started counseling 3 months before surgery. After everything I went through with the Lapband' date=' I knew I needed to get my head in the right place before I even scheduled! It's been critical in dealing with all the changes, even the ones I've been through before. I definitely second your post! I don't think there's anyone (WLS or not) who couldn't benefit, at least a little, from having a trained third party to talk to!! :)[/quote']

I was very nervous after reading SO MANY posts on the subject that I will be signing up for counseling as well. I pretty much now what my triggers are and I was thinking, "I can do this by myself!" Now, I realize that I need that extra support.

Thanks for sharing.

What a wonderful life...

I am almost 2 years PO and I still have to be careful what I eat because I will gain weight back. It's not like it was before the surgery but it's still a challenge. If I eat foods that are high carb, or slider foods, then I will gain weight. So i love my new skinny body and it simply amazes me all the time. So I choose to not eat breads, pastas, potatoes, rices and food that have high sugar because I know that I don't want to lose what I have. If I eat a piece of candy, then I start craving sugary things and it's a vicious cycle. I know that I am a food addict and for me, I have to keep to a Paleo type eating style. The only exception is when I have a Protein Shake or a Protein Bar, and even then, I have to limit myself. I have had to change my view point numerous times on my journey and have excellent feedback for vets that I listen too. I've also seen others come and say they are not going to diet and eat in moderation and some succeed and some fail. THe sleeve is a wonderful tool, but it's your stomach and not your brain. So I just to give a little reality here. The easiest part of this journey was the first year and a half. Now I have a course and I plan on staying on it........ CONGRATS everyone on your success! :P

This will be different for everyone. As you've seen in previous posts, a lot depends on your particular disordered eating.

Many people have issues with trigger foods - white sugars, white flour, processed foods, soda, etc. - that make them want to keep eating and eating and eating until they're sick or until they step on a scale and realize they've put on ten pounds.

This can happen at six months out, one year, two years, three years...it can happen whenever you stop being vigilant and doing whatever it is you need to do to stay on track.

Many people mourn food and the thing they have used in the past to cope is food - so the first time things get tough they post about how they can't wait to eat a cheeseburger or the can't wait to eat with their families again.

Food is coming up in the conversation, but the conversation isn't really about food, you know what I mean?

A huge part of surgery is finding new ways to cope. Another part is finding a way to eat that leaves you feeling satisfied but doesn't lead you off the right path. There's a balance you have to find and it's different for everyone.

If I'm not feeling emotional or hormonal, food does not impress me. I bake several days a week - my house smells like fresh bread, croissants and creamed butter with brown sugar (my favorite smell in the world) all the time. I also cook large meals for my family. We love food here. We eat, but we do it wisely (for the most part!) so there is no need for me to simply "X" off entire food groups and say I can't have them forever.

For me, personally, crossing a food off is the best way to make it the most desirable food ever! I can't do deprivation or I binge and graze. That's my particular issue.

For some people it's exactly the opposite. They can't do moderation because they cannot stop until it's gone. I'm this way about soda, of all things. So I get that and it's real and I don't keep much soda in my house these days.

It's important to realize that we're all going to have to find our own path here. There isn't only one right answer. If it were that easy, none of us would be here. We'd have 100% of our stomachs and go to WW meetings.

I only say that because every now and again we see flame wars erupt here because two people choose different ways to eat and they both think they're the only ones that are right.

Glad to see all of the experiences shared here - I wish everyone success, even if we all take a different path to get there.

~Cheri

Totally agree 100% , Im 5 months post-op. I don't get people that go through all of this hard work (which I tried to have surgery 3 times, so in 3 yrs) just to throw it away. It's a lifestyle change, not a miracle surgery, so many people gain back weight when they revert to old ways. Even if you do stay thin and eat crap, your health will still diminish, it'll j/be on the inside instead of where everyone can see it. I'm pretty passionate about this & think people who want to go back to eating crap are STUPID!

I am 6 days post-op and feeling pretty good. But the more I read the more it amazes me how badly people want to get back to old habits. The questions of 'when can I eat this again'' date=' and 'when can I have that' seem to be posted by the hundreds. I have to say I am in NO hurry to eat again. I don't want to visit 'Starbucks' or my local 'bar' as that is partially what put me in this position. Please don't take this the wrong way, I know some of you are just trying to get a feel for what is to come and when you can start doing some things. I just want to reiterate that this surgery is a tool and changes are desperately needed to be successful! Now is the perfect time to make those changes. Bring on the broth! ;)[/quote']

You are 6 days post op. You can't tell me that this sleeve has changed you completely and you will never head crave food again...you will never dream of your old vice again. You are delusional if you think you are all fixed and perfect. None of us are perfect we all make mistakes. 6 days out I wasn't even thinking of broth. Give yourself some time. You will understand. Not saying you will fail. I don't think wanting things and wondering when you can have a solid food again is insane. I guess we are different. I know I'm not perfect. I know I will want sweets again. I don't now..but I might one day. That is when my tool will come in handy. I can make that choice wisely or not. You say you can't understand why people askbtjose things after having such major surgery...but couldn't we also say that we all could of controled ourselves and not gotten to the point to need the surgery? We are all sick in some way with food. The sleeve doesn't cure you.

Jesus, drop the hostility...re-read it, I never said that the sleeve has changed me completely, nor am I stupid enough to think it cures me or anyone else. Not sure why you seem so pissed, but there is NO need for that!