Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be honest - does anyone regret the surgery?

No, I don't regret it. :)

I've lost 73 pounds and am 12 pounds from goal. :)

But my journey is far, far, far from over. Losing the weight is the easy part. The sleeve is a huge help--with its restriction and (thus far) the greatly reduced amount of ghrelin (the hunger hormone) coursing through my system and begging me to eat, eat, eat.

Still, changing my lifelong fat-person behaviors will make the ultimate difference in whether I stay normal-sized. I'm working hard on those parts, too.

I need to engrave this on a pillow. *That's* the key thing in all of this to me. Not just losing, but keeping it off.

No regrets. I have lost 100 lbs since June and want to lose about 35 more. Weight is coming off alit more slowly now since my weight is getting where it should be. I can tolerate all foods, some better than others but of course in tiny portions. I say get the surgery if you want to. But be ready for the changes you will need to make to be successful, because surgery is not a "cure all".

@@HealthArtLove, you know obesity is a disease, right? And You ARE doing it on your own, with a tool that's helping you. Its possible you could have done it without the surgery. But its very likely statistically that you would also regress down the line. Perhaps that's where you'll derive the sense of benefit. The healthier you can assuage your (needless imho) guilt by paying it forward, however you like. That feels good too.

Today is my 4 month post surgery anniversary. Last time I weighed in was two weeks ago at which time I was down about 80 lbs. since my sleeve. Recently, my blood work came back perfect. I also just had another sleep study and was told by my sleep doc that I do my have sleep apnea anymore. Now, after 10 years, I no longer use or need a CPAP. I buy clothes in regular stores now. I don't have to worry about whether or not I'll fit in the booth at restaurants. I just got back from a business meeting in Florida this past week and didn't worry for one second if I'd finally be "that guy" that was told he needed another ticket, or be "that guy" that no one wants sitting next to him or her...spilling into their seat. I've had countless people literally gasp when they see me now after not having seen me for several months. My knees don't hurt, I'm not tired all the time, and I'm much, much happier. I haven't regretted this surgery for one nanosecond. I do however, think YOU have to be ready to hit this deal head on. I read a lot of posts on here where people are still mourning their old habits. I don't. I look forward. I want to live a long, healthy, happy life and this gastric sleeve has literally changed mine for the better. Good luck to you.

I'm one and 1/2 months post op. and while I don't have any regrets, I surely don't have the hang of it yet. Today I still repeated some of the same stupid stuff I did before my surgery.

This morning I was very stressed about going to the hospital to support a friend who was having surgery. I got up extra early to stop and have Breakfast. I ordered a full Breakfast. ( no coffee or drink) . When it came I was only able to eat about 4 bites of egg and one very small mouthful of potato. I took the rest of it to go. After the hospital, 6 hrs later I had another2 bites of breakfast before I threw 99% of it away,

I didn't over eat. But I did handle my stress by trying to comfort myself with food. I KNEW there was no way I would eat all that ( or even touch the toast) but I ordered it anyway. This has me very shaken. I have found myself going and looking in the fridge. I don't get anything ( not that I keep any forbidden food in the house) but I still look. WTH? This behavior is counter productive to my goals. But there it is. Do I just need more practice handling these situations? Any body else go through this in their early months?

@@PaulaleeB - I don't think you did horrible. You ate Protein first and stopped when you were full. I always have left overs. Usually I bring them home and separate them into small meal sized portions. Don't beat yourself up so much.

Breathe. This doesn't change overnight. But it does change. Each day gets better. Keep exercising new emotional muscles. You got this.

Cornhusker, Love Your post. My Surgery is 25 Feb. Already chickened out once. Going to keep a stiff upper lip this time. Everything you said is a great reminder for me. Thank you.

I also have been wondering about regrets. I cancelled last year and this year I have diabetes - its the beginning of what I never wanted to have to deal with -- chronic illness. I am scared and worried about the surgery and I think this is probably normal for most people undergoing this change in their body. But having the choice to be healthy or just move down the road to more health issues makes it easy to decide for me. Looking around at family members only confirms what is in store for me if my weight is not controlled. I am a short person 5ft 1in and my ideal weight according to books is around 120 well at 204 I am really stressing my body to the limits. Please contribute more to this thread I find it helpful during this time in the process and surely it will help others.

155 pounds down in 1 year. The best thing I ever did. Was very scared and put it off for years. Wish I had done it sooner.

It's Sunday morning, I am 4 days post-op and my husband is downstairs fixing breakfast for my kids and it smells delicious. These four days have been the hardest days of my life I believe. So I have lots of regrets right now. Hoping when I get to purées I will feel better, but right now I had rather be fat and be able to eat than be skinny and not be able to eat.... It sucks so far :( I just miss food badly.

Casey, I felt the exact same way at day 4! I'm only at day 10 but it does get easier. I had my surgery 4/2 and had to contend with Easter on4/5. It was difficult to be around all the celebrating, I was in pain and I was having a " what the hell did I do" moment. It has gotten better each day. It has been difficult watching my hubby and boys eating and only able to drink a 2 oz shake! I am dealing with it and figuring out how to balance it all.

Thank you for your response! @@MrsG'journey glad to know I'm not alone! I do see a pattern of this mental hunger falling off gradually... And honestly I do think that's what it is, mental! I want to eat with, and like everybody else. But that's how I ended up overweight in the first place.

So many people say food is a drug and I'm the addict trying to quit cold turkey and that's a tough job to do. I just have to keep on keeping on... No turning back now!! Lol so it's up to me to make the best of it!

Good luck to you, if I wasn't on this site I probably would have lost my mind by now! So thankful for all the feedback!

@rin52

I totally understand your fears and concerns. I'm a three time chicken out for the surgery. I kew I needed it but I have young children and I really couldn't imagine how their lives would play out if something happened to me. I kept trying to do it on my own. Then last year my mom was preparing for surgery. Her plan made her have a mammogram before surgery due to her age, well sadly she found out she had breast cancer and unable to have the WLS. My mom has had diabetes for year. The day if my moms mastectomy, my sisters and I all went and had mammograms and full check ups. Well I found out I had diabetes! That for me was a huge wake up call, I too do not want to have a chronic illness. I got serious about weight loss and exercise and again got back on track to have the surgery under my insurance plan. I lost more than what I surgeon asked for and lost 40lbs before surgery. Many family and friends were surprised at my decision to have the surgery. I heard, " you're doing so well, why have the surgery." I realized that I needed to see this through to the end. I had my surgery two weeks ago, I did have regrets the weekend after. (Mostly out of frustration and pity for myself) but the pain has subsided and the scale has been favorable. I have lost 19 lbs in two weeks! I am full of hope that I will finish this and lose the weight. Best thing, I'm no longer on my diabetes medicine! I also lower my risk of cancer. That thrills me to all no end. The right decision is the one that's best for you! I wish you luck on your journey.

Kathy