Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saddam's Execution...

Why do you spell Bush BuSh?

TOM has never said, although several have asked. I think it's a subtle reference to "BS".

TOM has never said, although several have asked. I think it's a subtle reference to "BS".

50% of the letters in the name are "BS".

You may have noticed in my reponse, I wrote:

"-uh?

Do you want to play 20 questions?"

BuSh -uh = BS

The whole thing just makes me sad.

A 19-year old boy from our church was killed in Iraq about a year ago. My best friend's 18 year old son is a Marine and he already has his orders to go to Iraq in a few months. I worry that I will never see him again. Last night I was at the airport and saw about 100 young soldiers getting ready to head back from their holiday leave. They were so very young. These are our babies.

I used to think that I believed in capital punishment. Now it just makes me sad. Yes...Saddam was a brutal leader and many innocent people died under his regime. Still, I don't understand why anyone can find glee in the death of another human being. We live in very sad times, indeed.

If I was in my late teens or early 20's, I would volunteer to go to Afghanistan, but would refuse to go to Iraq.

I have read about soldiers who enlisted right after 911, served in Afghanistan, then have refused to go to Iraq, but would return to Afghanistan. The military says they can not allow that, so they are locking them up for refusing orders. One soldier is in Canada and so far the Canadian government is refusing to send him to the USA for punishment.

Actually TOM, there are a number of young war resistors up here in Canada along with their young families. These are young soldiers who have gone AWOL and who are now petitioning the Canadian government to be allowed to stay here as refugees, claiming that they will suffer if they are returned to their home country.

Things are not looking too good for them. Our immigration rules have tightened up since the days of the Vietnam War. In those days individuals could come here on student or visitor visas and then apply for immigration status and this would almost always be granted. Now there is a point system that must be satisfied, the applicant must apply from outside the country, much paperword must be completed and the process can take up to two or more years.

And as for a refugee, he has to make the case that he will suffer undue cruelty/death should he return home. Some of these kids have already been turned down. Their cases are now under appeal. I feel for these kids.

The worst thing is that we have recently elected, with a minority only, a Prime Minister who is fond of BuSh. He is sometimes known as BuSh lite.

Very good GrannyAces and Mousecrazy! I only get involved in these discussions occasionally to stir the pot some. However, this is a subject very close to my heart, because my little Billy (my only nephew) just got out of Iraq safely after being there for a year, thank the Lord. I totally agree with GrannyAces and Mousecrazy on this subject. Even though no weapons of mass destruction were found, there is a huge amount of evidence that they were removed following 9/11 and before we attacked Iraq. Most believe they were sent to Syria, which is a very scary thought to, since Saddam's wife and daughters are there being protected. He had refused to let the inspectors in for years and we had satellite evidence that he had them, so this isn't something our president just pulled out of thin air. The entire world thought he had the WOMD, not just the US and the UK. There is also a strong possibilty that many of them are still there, after all, Iraq is not a small country. I'm quite sure there are many holes like the 1 Saddam was found in that have yet to be discovered, and probably never will be. However, with that being said, I believe many mistakes have been made in this war. The biggest mistake was not putting enough troups on the ground when we first invaded Iraq. Donald Rumsfeld was a total idiot and I'm glad he's gone to. But, if you will remember correctly, there are pictures of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand many years ago. It's always been the policy of this country to keep the dictators of this world on our side. Saddam just made a huge mistake by not taking the UN seriously and let the inspectors in to do their jobs. His mistake, not ours. It should also be pointed out that the UN is worthless to the world now and is a total joke. Back during WWII, they didn't think Hitler was a threat either, and look what he was able to accomplish before he was stopped. We have foreign representatives of all nations of the world over here not having to follow the laws of our country and causing all kinds of problems in Washington DC. If they are going to live here, they should have to follow our laws along with their families.

My nephew has made it quit clear to me that the majority of the troops in Iraq are there because they want to be there. They believe in this war and what they are doing to protect our country in the future. We do not have a draft in this country and no one was forced to join the military. The Michael Moore's in this country are not on the money with what the troups are saying. My nephew worked in Saddam's palace for a short time and was in total disbelief at the things that man had in his palace while the people of his country suffered at his hand and did without necessities, like food. With keeping all of these issues in mind, I'm glad Saddam is dead. He was an evil man who deserved exactly what he got. He was probably executed on a holiday because of the way he treated of his own people. I don't feel sorry for him or his followers. The people of his country sure didn't deserve the treatment they received from him. And, keep in mind that he was found hiding in a hole like the true coward he was, not standing up fighting for his country like he forced his people to do.

As for Bin Laden, he will get his in the end. It was Oliver North who was laughed at by former senator Al Gore when he said he believed Bin Laden was the worst terrorist threat to the US many long years ago and absolutely nothing was done by the Clinton administration when they knew exactly where he was. So, it's not just the Republicans who caused this war on terror. We have to protect our country on the terrorists soil, not our own. And for those who believe Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, I'm sorry you feel that way. They have found terrorist training camps in Iraq, not just Afganistan. He was totally involved in it, even if it was minimally. I agree with Carlene that other countries were more involved, but Iraq was right along beside them.

I agree that Bush Sr should have done away with Saddam years ago, but he's gone now and the world is a much better and safer place without him.

As for Bin Laden, he will get his in the end. It was Oliver North who was laughed at by former senator Al Gore when he said he believed Bin Laden was the worst terrorist threat to the US many long years ago and absolutely nothing was done by the Clinton administration when they knew exactly where he was.

Sorry, wrong terrorist. When Colonel Oliver North defended his government-purchased home security system before a Congressional committee in 1987, he cited threats on his life from Palestinian terrorist Abu Nidal, not Osama bin Laden. Look it up if you don't believe me. The latter was busy fighting the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan at the time. Bin Laden's fervent hatred of the U.S. is said by most sources to date from 1990, when the U.S. stationed troops in his home country of Saudi Arabia in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.

And it was not Al Gore who grilled Oliver North during his testimony in 1987. According to the U.S. Senate Web site, North was in fact questioned by committee counsel John Nields, not a senator.

Where do you people get this stuff?

Even though no weapons of mass destruction were found, there is a huge amount of evidence that they were removed following 9/11 and before we attacked Iraq.

I've never seen any such evidence. I've never seen anything showing any evidence that following 9/11 there were any WMD in Iraq.

As for Bin Laden, he will get his in the end. It was Oliver North who was laughed at by former senator Al Gore when he said he believed Bin Laden was the worst terrorist threat to the US many long years ago and absolutely nothing was done by the Clinton administration when they knew exactly where he was. So, it's not just the Republicans who caused this war on terror. We have to protect our country on the terrorists soil, not our own. And for those who believe Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, I'm sorry you feel that way.

As Carlene points out, North wasn't talking about Bin Laden. From what I've read, at the time North testified, Bin Laden was a US backed "freedom Fighter".

What Clinton may or may not have done isn't really the issue. Bush made the decision to take this country to war. As far as Clinton, I think this is an interesting link.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/clinton.htm

"In August 1998, when [Clinton] ordered missile strikes in an effort to kill Osama bin Laden, there was widespread speculation — from such people as Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) — that he was acting precipitously to draw attention away from the Monica S. Lewinsky scandal, then at full boil. Some said he was mistaken for personalizing the terrorism struggle so much around bin Laden. And when he ordered the closing of Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House after domestic terrorism in Oklahoma City, some Republicans accused him of hysteria.

. . . the federal budget on anti-terror activities tripled during Clinton's watch, to about $6.7 billion. After the effort to kill bin Laden with missiles in August 1998 failed — he had apparently left a training camp in Afghanistan a few hours earlier — recent news reports have detailed numerous other instances, as late as December 2000, when Clinton was on the verge of unleashing the military again. In each case, the White House chose not to act because of uncertainty that intelligence was good enough to find bin Laden, and concern that a failed attack would only enhance his stature in the Arab world."

Feelings have nothing to do with it. There is NO proof that Saddam had any link to 9/11 at all.

As for the above comment that the U.N. condoned Hitler's behaviour prior to World War 2, the United Nations did not exist at that time. It only came into beginning after this War and was born out of a global desire to stop further wars. It was felt that this could be achieved through creating a formal environment where all nations would come together in order to negotiate. It was hoped that the United Nations would be more effective than the League of Nations which it replaced.

Is Saddam Dead?

Or was it one of his "Doubles" possibly drugged into a near stupor?

My question E X A C T L Y!!!!

As for the above comment that the U.N. condoned Hitler's behaviour prior to World War 2, the United Nations did not exist at that time. It only came into beginning after this War and was born out of a global desire to stop further wars. It was felt that this could be achieved through creating a formal environment where all nations would come together in order to negotiate. It was hoped that the United Nations would be more effective than the League of Nations which it replaced.

Wasn't the UN formed BECAUSE of Hitler?