Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications due to a fall.

Can someone tell me what the symptons would be if the band slips?

I fell on Christmas day and hurt my back, ever since, the food can not stay down. I have been having pain/tightness in my chest (feels like where the band is). A mucus like substance comes up.

I will be going to the doctor on Tuesday morning (January 2nd) and he will see if the band slipped due to the fall. In the meantime, he wants me back on Liquid Protein and tea over the weekend...WOW I will be bringing in the New Year with Protein drinks.

Happy New Year to all!

Can someone tell me what the symptons would be if the band slips?

I fell on Christmas day and hurt my back, ever since, the food can not stay down. I have been having pain/tightness in my chest (feels like where the band is). A mucus like substance comes up.

I will be going to the doctor on Tuesday morning (January 2nd) and he will see if the band slipped due to the fall. In the meantime, he wants me back on liquid Protein and tea over the weekend...WOW I will be bringing in the New Year with Protein drinks.

Happy New Year to all!

Lynn,

Here are some :) :) :girl_hug: for you.

What a bummer! Nobody wants to spend the holidays with a backache and worrying about having maybe "broken the band." I hope you'll be kind to yourself while you are waiting for your appointment on Jan 2nd. And who knows? Maybe you can start a new national trend for the "healthier way to bring in the new year"! :D

My thoughts and prayers are with you and please let us know how you are doing.

Jo Ann

Hi Lynn, I'm praying that your band has not slipped. I can tell you my symptoms when my band slipped. I could not keep any food down whatsoever. Everything I ate soured on my stomach and I had very severe acid reflux constantly. I would wake up from a dead sleep vomiting through my mouth and nose. Within a couple of days, I could not keep anything down including liquids. I had severe chest pain and the pain went through to my back (between the shoulder blades). I had severe nausea and vomiting. I began vomiting black bile regardless of whether or not I had a sip of Water. It was either black bile or clear slime and it was pretty much happening every 30 minutes or so. Anti-nausea medicine and suppositories did not relieve the vomiting. My doctor did a complete unfill thinking that the band would go back in place but my vomiting was so severe that it continued to slip until it had slipped down to my small intestines. Within 2 days, I was in an emergency situation where I had to have surgery to save my life. If you have problems keeping liquids down, I urge you to call your doctor immediately. Don't wait until Jan. 2nd. If you have a small slippage, it is possible that an unfill will allow the band to correct itself. Please take care of yourself and call your doctor if you have problems with liquids. I'm still banded and loving it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I'm wishing you the best. Vivian

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes. I am still dealing with the back pain I during Christmas and still dealing with being (back on liquid diet) as per doctors request. Althought today, I tried to eat some grilled chicken with salad, and still can not hold it down. I am still hoping that the band did not slip, I am holding down all liquids so I guess that is a good sign. Maybe the doctor will have to loosen the band.

I don't really want it loosen the band, because I will put some OR all of the weight back on.

To all a HAPPY NEW YEAR...I will cheer with a Protein DRINK!

Hi Lynn, Happy New Year's and I'm relieved to know that you can keep liquids down. If your doctor suggests doing a complete unfill for a few weeks, please, please listen. It is much better to go "unfilled" for a few weeks than to risk losing your band altogether. I know because I've been there and I did not want to gain back any of my weight either. God was with me and my surgeon because he was able to reposition my band but the slippage caused a lot of damage all the way down my stomach and small intestines. I was in surgery for 3.5 hours to repair the damage and reposition the band. I feel blessed beyond belief because my band was saved and now that it is positioned correctly, I am losing weight faster than I did when I was initially banded. I still argue with my doctor about getting fills and most of the time he will not give me a fill if I have lost any weight during the month. Regardless, I know that he knows best and I trust him implicitly. I've also found through trial and error that he is always right much to my chagrin. At any rate, please be a good little patient and do exactly what your doctor recommends even if it means you'll gain a few pounds. It will be soooo worth it in the long run. Keep us posted and I'll continue to pray for you. Vivian

Jo Ann,

If you don't mind me asking what is ABC?

Proud member of the ABC! :party:

Thanks, Lynn

August Bandster Club

There should be one for people who were banded in September.

Jo Ann

Hi Rose,

Everything went ok, he checked the band and it did not. I went to an ortho doctor December 26th, he gave me Vicodin and Flexiril, for the back and apparently, I was getting sick from those meds. The Lapband Surgeon did say everything was fine and wants to see me again in 2 weeks.

My back is feeling much better, I stopped taking the meds for the back and now I am able to hold everything down. Gee, I have gotten my appetite back :)