Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I lurk and post in here abit but saw the hospital change for Dr Kelly - who I am booked with in 5 weeks. I figured it was ok, the coordinator likely has a months worth of patients to notify if it was official. I didn't hear anything so wrote to her and she confirmed the rumors are true. I can't judge any of the facilities based on youtube videos and pictures so that isn't my issue as much as would I have been told if I hadn't asked directly, are there other things not being communicated or understood etc... She did detail out what I had written (I was exact in dates/flights/hospital/leak test location and than hotel). It sounds like I meet Dr Kelly in the OR and then he or coordinator will check on me in the hospital which doesn't match the booklet info sent. I am confident in going to Mexico and this process but I seem to be abit sensitive on thinking I could be doing it without details being important. A good example is I thought intake involved a call with the MD - in my email asking what was going on, I asked when that happens and its now being set up. Maybe I am just overtired this week (already - yikes) but if I hadn't asked, would it just not happen? Guess I am trying to figure out how much is the process, how much is I need to advocate for myself (which could be hard to do hours after surgery as I am going alone) and how much me over reacting!

So' date=' I lurk and post in here abit but saw the hospital change for Dr Kelly - who I am booked with in 5 weeks. I figured it was ok, the coordinator likely has a months worth of patients to notify if it was official. I didn't hear anything so wrote to her and she confirmed the rumors are true. I can't judge any of the facilities based on youtube videos and pictures so that isn't my issue as much as would I have been told if I hadn't asked directly, are there other things not being communicated or understood etc... She did detail out what I had written (I was exact in dates/flights/hospital/leak test location and than hotel). It sounds like I meet Dr Kelly in the OR and then he or coordinator will check on me in the hospital which doesn't match the booklet info sent. I am confident in going to Mexico and this process but I seem to be abit sensitive on thinking I could be doing it without details being important. A good example is I thought intake involved a call with the MD - in my email asking what was going on, I asked when that happens and its now being set up. Maybe I am just overtired this week (already - yikes) but if I hadn't asked, would it just not happen? Guess I am trying to figure out how much is the process, how much is I need to advocate for myself (which could be hard to do hours after surgery as I am going alone) and how much me over reacting![/quote']

Are you going through a coordinator or Dr Kelly himself?

So, I lurk and post in here abit but saw the hospital change for Dr Kelly - who I am booked with in 5 weeks. I figured it was ok, the coordinator likely has a months worth of patients to notify if it was official. I didn't hear anything so wrote to her and she confirmed the rumors are true. I can't judge any of the facilities based on youtube videos and pictures so that isn't my issue as much as would I have been told if I hadn't asked directly, are there other things not being communicated or understood etc... She did detail out what I had written (I was exact in dates/flights/hospital/leak test location and than hotel). It sounds like I meet Dr Kelly in the OR and then he or coordinator will check on me in the hospital which doesn't match the booklet info sent. I am confident in going to Mexico and this process but I seem to be abit sensitive on thinking I could be doing it without details being important. A good example is I thought intake involved a call with the MD - in my email asking what was going on, I asked when that happens and its now being set up. Maybe I am just overtired this week (already - yikes) but if I hadn't asked, would it just not happen? Guess I am trying to figure out how much is the process, how much is I need to advocate for myself (which could be hard to do hours after surgery as I am going alone) and how much me over reacting!

I think it's highly dependent on your surgeon and/or coordinator. I am a details girl, so I was on top of every last detail. :) I would say trust your instincts. If your instincts say you're being overly sensitive, then acknowledge that and move on. If your instincts are saying you need more details/information/follow up then you are receiving, then acknowledge that and figure out what you need to do next.

~Kat

email address for Laura and Dr. Kelly: wlsclinc@outlook.com

Office phone number for

Dr. Kelly: 619-793-4869

You are not over reacting. You know what you are comfortable with or what you are not. Contact them if they can't answer your questions to your satisfaction you may wanna move on. This is serious business and you have to be comfortable.

Your not overacting.

To answer your questions I am assuming you did not book direct with Kelly and Lora.

If you booked with them then your surgery is at a more expensive hospital called Nova.

If you booked through a service company like MBC you are now at Mi Doctor Hospital

IMO MI is a 3*** and Nova is a ****

MI does not have a doctor present in the evenings till 7am. I did not like that idea.

I met Dr. Kelly in my room an hour before surgery. he was great, honest and so ensuring. You will probably as well. MBC has a cordinator in the hospital but hes only there to collect your $$ and to get papers signed. Not much of a coordinator... just an office person IMO.

Mexico and TJ are just fine. Thats the least of your worries.

Easy way of knowing who you booked through is your deposit. If you made one, you booked through a service provider... if you didnt... you booked direct. Dr. Kelly's office does NOT require a deposit.

In my case I booked for the florence on purpose and did not find out that MBC made a change until the nite before. And I only knew that because I was reading a form (Title MI Doctors Hospital) that they gave me that night to fill out. If I hadnt read that form the nite before surgery... no one would of told me until we pulled up ti MI

And last but not least, many patients do it on their own but a few have a real hard time for a few days. You just have to depend on the nursing staff to get you through it. If you can take someone... pls do!

Good luck

So' date=' I lurk and post in here abit but saw the hospital change for Dr Kelly - who I am booked with in 5 weeks. I figured it was ok, the coordinator likely has a months worth of patients to notify if it was official. I didn't hear anything so wrote to her and she confirmed the rumors are true. I can't judge any of the facilities based on youtube videos and pictures so that isn't my issue as much as would I have been told if I hadn't asked directly, are there other things not being communicated or understood etc... She did detail out what I had written (I was exact in dates/flights/hospital/leak test location and than hotel). It sounds like I meet Dr Kelly in the OR and then he or coordinator will check on me in the hospital which doesn't match the booklet info sent. I am confident in going to Mexico and this process but I seem to be abit sensitive on thinking I could be doing it without details being important. A good example is I thought intake involved a call with the MD - in my email asking what was going on, I asked when that happens and its now being set up. Maybe I am just overtired this week (already - yikes) but if I hadn't asked, would it just not happen? Guess I am trying to figure out how much is the process, how much is I need to advocate for myself (which could be hard to do hours after surgery as I am going alone) and how much me over reacting![/quote']

Have u been talking with Lora - his go to girl? Or a coordinator from an outside agency? I'm scheduled on August 3rd and when I scheduled (about 2 weeks ago) Lora told me that he had switched to the NOVA. She explained it was because of overbooking and overcrowding at the other hospital. I've researched the facility as well and like you mentioned cant find much on YouTube. I think the reason for that is because other doctors aren't using NOVA for bariatrics because their OR fee is much higher. I'm a nurse and see stuff like this in my field so for me it hasn't changed my decision on using dr.kelly.

On the other hand I understand what you are saying. I'm not sure if you would have been notified of this change. My guess is probably not. Some believe its all about the surgeon and the rest isn't as important. So maybe your coordinator didn't think it was a big deal. Not sure.

If you're interested in a particular facility you have to contact them and ask if a particular surgeon has practicing privileges with them. It's public knowledge and they will tell you... They also tell you, if its the case, why he no has privileges at the facility. I know in the past, Dr Kelly had practicing privileges at INT, florence and MI.. but no longer. He currently uses NOVA.

If you're interested in a particular facility you have to contact them and ask if a particular surgeon has practicing privileges with them. It's public knowledge and they will tell you... They also tell you, if its the case, why he no has privileges at the facility. I know in the past, Dr Kelly had practicing privileges at INT, florence and MI.. but no longer. He currently uses NOVA.

My husband spoke with "Team Kelly" today on a business matter. I agree with this statement with a change made to it to keep it correct.

Dr Kelly has practicing privileges at Angeles, INT, MI Doctor and Nova.

He perfers Angeles but it is twice the price and most patients want a package price in the $5000 area. Angeles is in the $10K area. But if you've been to Angeles Hospital like we have... you know why.

The only hospital/Clinic that he is NOT working out of is Florence/Oasis.

That being said if your willing to pay... its Angeles at 10Kish. If its $5200... its Nova... If its booked by MBC they pay the cheapest OR fee and thats MI Doctor. Still at $5200

To my understanding and our personal discussion (and to make it short and sweet)... it was a mutual agreement that he would no longer use F/O

Hope that clarifies it abit better.

IMO... book direct and get Nova Hospital. MBC doesnt do anything extra for you... you actually get less. By booking direct with Lora... no deposit, better xray for leak test, hospital with a doctor present at night, a hospital that does NOT lock its doors at night so they can still be checked on... I'll stop there.

Hope that helps patints make a better decision when considering Dr. Kelly and who to book through

To alleviate here say ... all a person needs to do is contact the facility(s) and it's on record whether a particular surgeon has or does not have privileges at their facility. It's a simple step and can help ease a patients mind when having doubt about a surgeons actions