Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many vets are actually AT goal and staying there?

I have been maintaining within a few pounds of my goal since Feb 2013. It's hard

My goal is not super skinny either.

Part of the reason I picked it, is I felt it was more realistic to maintain and because the bariatric surgeon and 3 plastic surgeons all advised me to stop right here. I would like to weigh 10-15# less, but frankly I don't know if I could do it without really dieting. Then, I fear I couldn't maintain.

so, I will probably only lose about 4-5 pounds with the plastic surgery so I will be staying in the 150s. Works for me - I am a solid "medium" and you know all I ever wanted was to be normal.

I read somewhere ... and I don't remember the quote exactly... but basically that "I have the disease of obesity and by losing weight I am merely managing the primary symptom. I will always have the disease of obesity and will need to be forever diligent that the weight doesn't return."

My maintenance is going fine, but I do so much feel this is a true statement - like the weight will just fly back on if I don't remain vigilint.

I don't want to make newbies too scared, this is different then "dieting" ever was - I still have my sleeve. What I am trying to say is that it is no freaking joke - you need to make permanent lifestyle changes and it is hard!!!

I read somewhere ... and I don't remember the quote exactly... but basically that "I have the disease of obesity and by losing weight I am merely managing the primary symptom. I will always have the disease of obesity and will need to be forever diligent that the weight doesn't return."

My maintenance is going fine' date=' but I do so much feel this is a true statement - like the weight will just fly back on if I don't remain vigilint.

I don't want to make newbies too scared, this is different then "dieting" ever was - I still have my sleeve. What I am trying to say is that it is no freaking joke - you need to make permanent lifestyle changes and it is hard!!![/quote']

Well you are doing a great job and looking fantastic

hmmmmmmmmmm

post op 17 months - maintaining goal 6 months

i guess i'm not a "veteran" vet :lol:

i keep my calorie count pretty accurate in my head

i know i know, need to get back to MFP

don't exercise much to speak of

i definitely graze sometimes :(

above statements true necessary statements to make

so in other words i am NOT perfect!!!

well, maybe i am!!! :lol:

seriously i have those times i especially want to and do grab an extra Protein bar/2 bags of small popcorn

i know i'm not hungry, i just want to eat like the old days

Protein Bar has so many carbs!!!!!!!!!

i weigh myself daily wearing the same birthday suit ;)

i fluctuate 2 lbs - never more

but this HOT 59 year young grammy is one sexy chic :lol:

i feel great!!!!

am i misunderstanding - but do you think lots of sleevers are unsuccessful in the long run/keeping the weight off???

OMG- i didn't think that was the case :(

sure i have to keep the thought that i have to be "good"

people that have the gastric bypass - their tummy can stretch easily

but, i've always heard from my NUT/surgeon that the sleeve can't/will not stretch since the "stretchy" part was removed

this doesn't mean that we can eat like before........

i continue to eat correctly/Water

protein (sometimes trouble there)

i don't have any kids at home (except DH :lol: )so i don't buy ANYTHING "bad" - no Cookies, ice cream et al

so the tempation is not there

maybe as time passes, things will be harder for me - hopefully not

there is no way, i have gone through this major surgery - worked so hard to lose my weight and improve my health, to now resort to old bad habits

then of course gaining my weight back, and more importantly - getting unhealthy again

so it does scare me when its inferred that some/many regain

i don't know if i misunderstood one of the OP posts about regaining, and possible trouble post goal

sorry i reread the above - and i wrote things out of order :(

bye

good luck to all of us

we/you/me WILL survive

DOS

12/15/11

235 lbs

5'3

today

goal

135 lbs

weight

59 years young

still 5'3 :lol:

kathy

My maintenance is going fine, but I do so much feel this is a true statement - like the weight will just fly back on if I don't remain vigilint.

I don't want to make newbies too scared, this is different then "dieting" ever was - I still have my sleeve. What I am trying to say is that it is no freaking joke - you need to make permanent lifestyle changes and it is hard!!!

This is a great quote, and I think this is what I am trying to convey. Without permanent changes, long term success I think is lower. I am not saying that everyone will regain, and I am not saying that no one will remain at goal. But it is a lifetime of vigilance.

It is very easy to fall back into old habits, and those old habits can quickly add on pounds. I worry a lot about the people that look at this as a way to eat what they want, and say "well, I can only eat 2 bites".

It took me 18 months just to reach my goal weight. And honestly, I would say that it wasn't until that I was past 2 years that the capacity of my sleeve leveled out. Now I pretty much know how much I can eat, but it is more than when I was even 18 months post op.

Here is a great little article from the 5-Day Pouch Test Site:

http://5daypouchtest...les/art001.html

If you read it, it states that approximately 80% of WLS surgery patients (sleeve included) will have some regain (10-30lbs) and 20% will regain all if not more of weight loss. And I just read off of an actually Bariatric Center's website that "Some weight regain after the gastric sleeve, especially several years after surgery, is normal and can often be attributed to a slight stretching in the gastric pouch. For cases that do not warrant a surgical procedure, we suggest medically supervised weight loss, which can alter dietary and exercise regimens to get excess weight back under control. - See more at: http://www.peachtree...h.gKeGKCHq.dpuf". And regain usually occurs in patients in the 2-5 year post op range (according to http://www.idiotsgui...s-expected.html).

Just proof that surgery is not a magic bullet. Without permanent changes and a lifetime of vigilance, regain is a very real possibility.

hmmmmmmmmmm

post op 17 months - maintaining goal 6 months

i guess i'm not a "veteran" vet :lol:

i keep my calorie count pretty accurate in my head

i know i know' date=' need to get back to MFP

don't exercise much to speak of

i definitely graze sometimes :(

above statements true necessary statements to make

so in other words i am NOT perfect!!!

well, maybe i am!!! :lol:

seriously i have those times i especially want to and do grab an extra Protein bar/2 bags of small popcorn

i know i'm not hungry, i just want to eat like the old days

Protein Bar has so many carbs!!!!!!!!!

i weigh myself daily wearing the same birthday suit ;)

i fluctuate 2 lbs - never more

but this HOT 59 year young grammy is one sexy chic :lol:

i feel great!!!!

am i misunderstanding - but do you think lots of sleevers are unsuccessful in the long run/keeping the weight off???

OMG- i didn't think that was the case :(

sure i have to keep the thought that i have to be "good"

people that have the gastric bypass - their tummy can stretch easily

but, i've always heard from my NUT/surgeon that the sleeve can't/will not stretch since the "stretchy" part was removed

this doesn't mean that we can eat like before........

i continue to eat correctly/water

Protein (sometimes trouble there)

i don't have any kids at home (except DH :lol: )so i don't buy ANYTHING "bad" - no Cookies, ice cream et al

so the tempation is not there

maybe as time passes, things will be harder for me - hopefully not

there is no way, i have gone through this major surgery - worked so hard to lose my weight and improve my health, to now resort to old bad habits

then of course gaining my weight back, and more importantly - getting unhealthy again

so it does scare me when its inferred that some/many regain

i don't know if i misunderstood one of the OP posts about regaining, and possible trouble post goal

sorry i reread the above - and i wrote things out of order :(

bye

good luck to all of us

we/you/me WILL survive

DOS

12/15/11

235 lbs

5'3

today

goal

135 lbs

weight

59 years young

still 5'3 :lol:

kathy[/quote']

Proud Grammy, glad to meet you! I'm 59 and a Nannie too! And yes, maintenance can/is tough work. 3 yrs out. And yes, restriction stays but you also get to where you can eat a lot more and most things become "sliders!"

Lost 100 lbs, got to goal easily. Kept it all off for 6-8 mos. gradually adding back carbs got me in trouble. Put back on lbs. back on routine now. Have lost 12 lbs. another 10 back to low goal.

Yes, sleeve works but the inside "fatty" still wants to eat badly. Lol. Love the new me even with the constant food challenge.

Cowgirljane, the quote is EXACTLY RIGHT! Lol

maintenance can/is tough work - Love the new me even with the constant food challenge.

Georgia

i agree with both of your statements - life is/can be hard and challenging

we gotta keep a stiff upper lip, and constantly be aware of what you/me/we are eating and drinking

easier said than done, but...............

3 years maintenance!!!!

now that's what i'm talkin' about!!!! :)

congrats on losing 100 lbs

i understand about the stomach relaxing a bit more, restriction still there

i weigh daily so if i'm ok with my eating and drinking, i shouldn't/won't gain

we all know with the gastric bypass you can, and many do regain all their weight back

but...........if i slip up and for example gain 10 - 15 lbs or so, its not that hard to take off????

you regained a bit, took most of it off, almost back to normal ;)

sleeve is always working with you - while you are working with the sleeve????

most people, if they have any "smarts" :huh: at all - wouldn't / shouldn't can't gain sooo much weight back???? right????

they/me/we realize - must take that little weight off before its toooo late

not gonnna worry, worry about regaining

that being said - being a little extra scared/concerned about gaining is good for me

will help keep me on the straight and narrow

after having major surgery - working hard - losing 105 lbs

becoming a newer, healthier, happier me - i just can't /won't gain weight again

from my lips to God's ears ;)

kathy

Proud granny, one thing to note. STAY AT GOAL. it is not easy to re lose those pounds asana will testify here.

Proud granny, one thing to note. STAY AT GOAL. it is not easy to re lose those pounds asana will testify here.

You know, this is part of my tailspin and lack of flexibility with myself, I think. I CHOSE to get pregnant after easily maintaining at goal. And yes, I am thrilled I have a beautiful baby girl that we very much wanted; my pregnancy was no surprise and we actively pursued fertility treatment. But oh! It is a challenge to re-lose. And while it is coming off, slowly but surely, somewhere in my mind I forgot that it took me six darn months to shed the last twenty pounds the first time! Losing weight is hard, period. Add in a body so close to goal weight that was a slow loser to begin with and you're definitely going to face an uphill battle.

This is marvelous. I think I preach it differently (the real journey isn't really about weight loss but about the underlying problems) and I forget to apply it to myself.

I think I'm in shock, in a way. Because maintenance was truly effortless after a 17 month struggle to get to goal. I hardly tracked and when I did I was always doing fine. My weight window was consistent. And I had forgotten what it's like to try to lose. It stinks, and it takes forever and the scale is most definitely not my friend until I'm in maintenance and it simply exists to keep me accountable!

One thing I can say without a doubt? I will never, ever allow myself to slip outside of a 5 pound window again. And in all fairness, I did not "slip" here. I had a baby. But the idea behind staying ever vigilant is the same.

I would love to post more about this on the pregnancy forum but honestly worry I'd scare people. I still believe it is always possible to shed the weight your body will allow, no matter how far out from surgery you get. My sleeve is still my sleeve and it still has awesome restriction. I can still work it. The physical thing isn't the real issue. It's the mental game that goes with it. I know a lot of women post that they have a sleeve to lose weight and get pregnant and that is wonderful. It's also scary to make that choice once you're happy at goal, I think. Gaining weight was the HARDEST thing for me. It affected my happiness about my much wanted pregnancy, no matter how much I tried not to feel that way. I definitely think that women should be really aware of this, but I think too many would panic and not approach it a little more reasonably.

So in the future, I know that I am doing everything in my power to never, ever regain more than a few pounds! I never want to do this again.

~Cheri

Oh, and I'm avoiding the scale right now and detoxing my body. I feel much, much better and have been talking a lot with my husband about some of the challenges I've been facing lately. I think that in a short time I'll be able to refocus on maintaining my slow and painful weight loss so that I can get back to goal.

I've been fasting (if you want to call it that) and if I plan my food day at the beginning of the day it allows me to forget about food until meal times. I'm not grazing all day long on junk, which is great. I'm also not consuming more empty calories from my beverages - something I hadn't really realized I was doing again. But my poor kids...it's one now and I normally feed them around noon. I'm back to not feeling hungry and so forget that my family needs me to feed them, whether or not I feel hungry!

~Cheri

You know I used to HATE those people Who would say, "Oh, I KNOW. I need to lose 10 pounds too!" I'd think, "WHAT!" I could lose ten pounds in my sleep! Lol. Now I AM that person. And let me tell you, I now can testify to the fact that the last ten pounds is a killer. And I've lost them before easily but now my body has adjusted and LIKES where it is! But it's slowly coming off again. And I agree! Maintain, maintain, maintain. It sure beats the alternative! Happy for my size now just want to be AT GOAL again.

I soooo identify with what you said. All of it. I went for my three year check up this past Friday. One of the girls in his office has had sleeve surgery, we were talking about the fears and head games we play with ourselves. I told her that I have this irrational fear of waking up one morning, ravenous and 25 lbs heavier. I am torn about whether I really want to quit having thoughts like that 'lurk'. I am NOT consumed by them and part of me thinks THOSE THOUGHTS keep me diligent, just like you said we need to be. I agree 100%. I don't feel like I am on a diet now, not at all, but I AM aware of everything I eat. I don't think that is a bad thing, especially for those of us who have fought obesity a good part of our lives. You said it well. Thanks!

I am completely freaking out.

My regain is about 15 lbs and no matter what I do, it won't come off. I'm not grazing. I am eating right. I can't exercise as much as I used to. I used to go to the gym almost 7 days a week. I can't go on the weekends anymore. My life is completely different now than it was 4 years ago.

I'm 60 years old and it seems like like my metabolism has come to a complete stand still. Some days I wake up and weigh myself and I've gained 2 lbs and I was totally on track the day before. It's like I have to live on salad to keep the regain at 10 lbs.

None of my clothes fit. I hate this. I've been dieting my entire life other than the first few months post op, when the weight was falling off and I had no desire to eat.

Hi Oregon,

Have you considering trying the 5:2 diet? There's another thread here where several slow losers have kick-started their losses using it.

Lynda