Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many vets are actually AT goal and staying there?

Cheri,

Thanks for asking the question. You have offered such great thought provoking topics over and over, i like looking for your topics. I think I am considered a vet, but anyway going...I have not hit my goal. I lost a lot quickly in the beginning, now at 20 months I am still 30 lbs from a realistic goal. I was so excited during my losing period, then I started having menopause issues, got hormone replacement...gained 10 lbs, stopped hormones....got dehydrated, low potassium ended up in hospital. Then, got new hormones...did not use the patch just am dealing with leg cramps, and hot flashes, night sweats...and GAINING.

I am up 13 lbs from my lowest, and I need it to come off but, I am hungry. I have found I can eat much larger quantities and have now begun making excuses. I thought if I picked up using MFP I would do better, nope just stopped getting on the site and here as well. VST changed to me, and I really did not feel I needed to check the site every 20 minutes like I did in the beginning.

Bean, Coops, Skinny, Granny, MG2, Oregon, Jane, Eye....and others......at some point we have all exchanged a note. I thank you for hanging in there and continuing to share your successes, tips and challenges. I hope through Cheri's, once again, so well thought out message we can reach out and give a hand to help each other again!

I know I need to purge the crap from the house, stop saying "I will do this after...weekend, graduation, traveling for work, on and on". But, I do need to figure out how not to be hungry. I do not drink with meals, never have. I drink my Water daily, mainly with Crystal Light Raspberry Tea. And generally eat my Protein first. I had my first sip of a beer yesterday, it was flippin 100 degrees and looked good. Nope don't like the way I felt, I will stick with wine on occasion I feel like having a glass.

So here is to researching the 5:2, Diva's bootcamp, pouch test whatever...just finding a way to reach goal. I really, really need to get there and i hope you all are successful! Thanks all for sharing, Cheri losing 9 lbs, well I am thinking 5:2 just may be the way.

Is it bad to eat a Quest bar everyday as one meal? I find they help me get my Protein in and they are so much easier for me to digest then other protein?

Well I always say, of you're going to eat a Protein Bar, quest bars are hard to beat nutritionally. I like them, but I don't seem to want them more than once or twice a month. I remember eating zone bars 3 at a time back before surgery...those suckers are like candy bars. Quest bars are not quite as good so I don't get all excited about them. But they do serve a need occasionally. I'd still rather eat some lean turkey or chicken. No one ever went on a carb binge after eating poultry.

I love to warm the brownie Quest bars. They are yummy that way and not even good if they aren't warm.

I love the Power Crunch bars. I am addicted to those. The Peanut Butter and chocolate ones are way too good.

I just have to make sure to count my calories because those Protein Bars add up fast.

It's hard how much focus this takes. I mean, I really thought I'd reach goal and then just...I dunno...BE THIN and not have to work at it or worry about it.

My stepkids flew in last week and promptly spread the plague around our house. It happens every time! A few of us got hit with bacterial pharyngitis and while I didn't go off the rails at all, I didn't pay much attention to the scale or to my tracking over the last few days. My scale is still in hiding but I had my husband dig it out for me. And WTH? I'm up again...every pound I lost is back on again.

See Cheri. See Cheri curse and gnash her teeth. See Cheri beat her head on the wall in frustration. See Cheri throw the damn scale out the window.

Uncool. Unfair. Very disheartening.

I can only imagine the meds I'm on and our non-stop rainfall (and resultant humidity) are to blame here. I promise, there's no way I ate an additional thirty thousand calories over the last few days.

I'm going to search out that 5:2 thread (I swear I saw one here) and start posting for advice there. I'm back on a fast day today (super easy, since this infection is still plaguing me despite the antibiotics I'm on) and we'll see what comes of this.

If I had to guess, I'd say my calories have been too low. Or perhaps the way I've been eating with big dips up and down in my blood sugar is to blame. When I'm not structured about my food I tend to forget to eat and then overcompensate. "Oh, I missed Breakfast and lunch? Well, let me just eat this rather large slice of freshly baked banana bread and have a big cup of creamy coffee to wash it down." It's the same number of calories, true. But the quality is lower and I'm doing what I did as a diabetic and letting my sugars spike after dropping. No good.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate maintenance? I need to find a more peaceful way to balance this or I'll make myself crazy trying to do this forever. Just get be back to goal and I swear I'll be fine, I swear!

How's everyone else doing today? Has anyone heard from Globe lately? She was giving 5:2 a shot; hopefully she's had better luck with the scale than me!

~Cheri

I am so frustrated with myself right now. for the past couple of days, I have just let myself go and eat a few Quest bars in a day, the chocolate brownie ones of course! I eat my peanuts that are chili flavored, and I have allowed myself to graze throughout the day. Yep, I have gained a few lbs from this..... If i go over 1300 calories I do gain weight even if it's protein....It is really hard getting myself back on track....I will be doing the 5:2 day tomorrow when my husband and family are at work...I will also be cleaning out my refrigerator today because the trash is picked up and I want it all out......I really don't have that much junk food though.

I just found out that my husband's position where he works might be eliminated, it's between him and another relief pharmacist where he works. That means our income is decrease drastically and I will have to go work for corporate America once again and give up my private practice. That just adds more stress on my plate too.....

so much stress is not good for any of us.....

Oh well, I am going to focus on today and drink a lot of Water and eat 3 meals. No in between eating.

Cheri I love how you articulate things and helps me put things in perspective. We are all struggling together in this.....:P

It's hard how much focus this takes. I mean, I really thought I'd reach goal and then just...I dunno...BE THIN and not have to work at it or worry about it.

My stepkids flew in last week and promptly spread the plague around our house. It happens every time! A few of us got hit with bacterial pharyngitis and while I didn't go off the rails at all, I didn't pay much attention to the scale or to my tracking over the last few days. My scale is still in hiding but I had my husband dig it out for me. And WTH? I'm up again...every pound I lost is back on again.

See Cheri. See Cheri curse and gnash her teeth. See Cheri beat her head on the wall in frustration. See Cheri throw the damn scale out the window.

Uncool. Unfair. Very disheartening.

I can only imagine the meds I'm on and our non-stop rainfall (and resultant humidity) are to blame here. I promise, there's no way I ate an additional thirty thousand calories over the last few days.

I'm going to search out that 5:2 thread (I swear I saw one here) and start posting for advice there. I'm back on a fast day today (super easy, since this infection is still plaguing me despite the antibiotics I'm on) and we'll see what comes of this.

If I had to guess, I'd say my calories have been too low. Or perhaps the way I've been eating with big dips up and down in my blood sugar is to blame. When I'm not structured about my food I tend to forget to eat and then overcompensate. "Oh, I missed Breakfast and lunch? Well, let me just eat this rather large slice of freshly baked banana bread and have a big cup of creamy coffee to wash it down." It's the same number of calories, true. But the quality is lower and I'm doing what I did as a diabetic and letting my sugars spike after dropping. No good.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate maintenance? I need to find a more peaceful way to balance this or I'll make myself crazy trying to do this forever. Just get be back to goal and I swear I'll be fine, I swear!

How's everyone else doing today? Has anyone heard from Globe lately? She was giving 5:2 a shot; hopefully she's had better luck with the scale than me!

~Cheri

You are not alone! I have pretty wild fluctuations in my weight, and it was medication that made me gain the weight in the first place (almost 8 pounds in 3 weeks). Yesterday morning I was down 5 pounds since starting the 5:2, this morning I am 2.5 pounds back up. What I eat and where I am in my cycle really mess with the scale.

I feel like you. I was so happy where I was, not gaining and maintaining with what I was eating. Then, BAM! Now I hate struggling to get the last few pounds off...again! But I do like the 5:2 diet, I don't really feel like dieting because I know tomorrow I can eat normally again.

And Globe hasn't posted in a while on the 5:2 thread or the Get to Goal thread. I hope she does, even just for the support.

I hate to say this, but I am glad I am finally not alone in this fight . I have to go back and read the last few posts, but I was really getting discouraged reading how easy it was for everyone else to lose if they gained a couple lbs.

I had wls almost 7 years ago. I am NOT going back to being fat. But this is a very hard battle, when you're used to the sleeve taking care of hunger.

Hi Georgia :)

you are right, that it must be hard to lose weight that you/anyone gains

i only mentioned to OP that gaining 10-15 lbs like she did, wasn't "that" bad trying to make HER feel better

but no way, will i follow those footsteps!!!!

absolutely, positively, irrevocably, no doubt about it -----

NOOOOO intentions on regaining any weight (fluctuations of a couple lbs don't count) ^_^

repeating - no weight gain - going back to the devil :angry:

been there, done that - never again :angry:

from my lips to God's ears!!!! ;)

maybe my over emphasis (per my DH) on not regaining et al is to reassure myself :)

but for whatever reason - stands true :)

best 4 letter word???

GOAL!!! :)

kathy

Kathy,

We all fear re-gaining, which is why I suspect I'm a wee bit obsessive! I love what you've posted, your words reflect how I think!

On the bright side, I just went to see my doctor for my 3 year check up. When I told him my "routine" - my "new normal". I asked him if I was a nut case. He said that (and I HATE these words) anal retentive patients seem to do good long term. I really prefer 'obsessive compulsive' but I thought I should quote him! LoL I chose to take this as a complement!! :D

Yep Oregondaisy, it's quite helpful for each of us knowing we're not alone in our struggles.....struggles that are not spoken about much on VST. There's not many people hanging around with your tenure.

Well, I go for 3 year next Tuesday! AFTER 4th of July weekend. Lol.

I hate to say this, but I am glad I am finally not alone in this fight . I have to go back and read the last few posts, but I was really getting discouraged reading how easy it was for everyone else to lose if they gained a couple lbs.

I had wls almost 7 years ago. I am NOT going back to being fat. But this is a very hard battle, when you're used to the sleeve taking care of hunger.

I am also glad that this forum is here and that those of us who are struggling have a place to talk about it. And I hope that people that are new take note, this truly is not the easy way out.

You have done amazing and to have kept everything off for 7 years is an amazing accomplishment!

I'm really interested in the 7 year part. Did you have the sleeve 7 years ago?

I'm really interested in the 7 year part. Did you have the sleeve 7 years ago?

Sleeve was 4 years ago.Lap Band 7 years ago. From her Sig: lap band 12-29-06 / revision to sleeve Dr. Alberto Aceves 4-29-09

Sleeve was 4 years ago.Lap Band 7 years ago. From her Sig: lap band 12-29-06 / revision to sleeve Dr. Alberto Aceves 4-29-09

Even that. I didn't realize sleeve was done that far back as wls. Congrats to her!!!