Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many vets are actually AT goal and staying there?

See, what u said is my biggest fear w havn the surgery! I too am tired of dieting nd I will address this w my nut visit on the 24th. I'm not sleeved but read all forums, esp vet forums of what I shud expect. Ik I'll have to work to let my tool do its Job , nd I thot I was rdy. But as I read the forum here, I'm starting to rethink my decision or maybe my mindset cuz i really thot that this surgery wud also help me maintain once I got to "goal". So I'm wrong? Oh God, what am I gonna do now? I just don't think it fair that after hsvn most of our tummies removed, we should have to ever diet again, I thot changn our eatn lifestyles along w the tool wud guarantee a diet free life, plz help me understand, b4 I go under. Cuz I was really lookn forward to living life wo the thot of Everrr havn to diet again. Sry for whinning but I'm sad now, actually disappointed:( thx all in advance and God bless you all!! Dee Dee

Sorry to pop your bubble Dee Dee, but if you don't watch what you eat post-op, you will watch your weight go up! This thread is for people who are trying the 5:2 or 6:1 diet to get to goal, return to goal, or stay at goal. It's buried in the Vet's Forum, because for the first few months post-op, it's pretty hard to not see a dramatic weight loss, but as time goes by, it's very easy to gain weight.

I have met many people online and in person who stay at goal weight, but they are ALL mindful of what they eat. It is easier with the sleeve, because it takes less to feel full, but I didn't get fat because I couldn't get full.

Lynda

Sorry to pop your bubble Dee Dee' date=' but if you don't watch what you eat post-op, you will watch your weight go up! This thread is for people who are trying the 5:2 or 6:1 diet to get to goal, return to goal, or stay at goal. It's buried in the Vet's Forum, because for the first few months post-op, it's pretty hard to not see a dramatic weight loss, but as time goes by, it's very easy to gain weight.

I have met many people online and in person who stay at goal weight, but they are ALL mindful of what they eat. It is easier with the sleeve, because it takes less to feel full, but I didn't get fat because I couldn't get full.

Lynda[/quote']

Well said Isereno.

I have posted this chart before on another thread but not sure if everyone has seen it, it takes age in to the equation which BMI alone does not.

post-20605-13813667553367_thumb.jpg

According to this chart, I'm a few pounds underweight but not according to the Halls chart: http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

It would be cool if they let you put in your muscle measurements and fat percentage. That would totally fix the issue with the BMI charts and calculators.

Fiddleman, you seriously need to get one of those body mass measurements done. I remember a couple of years back several people here who got measured with the BodPod, including FeedYourEye. Here's the thread: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/20517-the-bod-pod/page__hl__bodpod#entry172680 You can go to this page to find a BodPod near you:

http://www.cosmed.com/en/test-site-locator

Lynda

Sorry to pop your bubble Dee Dee' date=' but if you don't watch what you eat post-op, you will watch your weight go up! This thread is for people who are trying the 5:2 or 6:1 diet to get to goal, return to goal, or stay at goal. It's buried in the Vet's Forum, because for the first few months post-op, it's pretty hard to not see a dramatic weight loss, but as time goes by, it's very easy to gain weight

Ty:)

Lynda[/quote']

Ty 4 answering. I guess I what shudav said is, I realize that this is a tool that will help us have a healthier lifestyle, of course ik I have to work at it, nd DO NOT "plan on" reverting bck to old habits. So I guess, I shudnt have wandered in here bc I guess I have misunderstood the posts I've read or getting to ahead of myself. But thx for acknowledging my thots anyways. Dee

See' date=' what u said is my biggest fear w havn the surgery! I too am tired of dieting nd I will address this w my nut visit on the 24th. I'm not sleeved but read all forums, esp vet forums of what I shud expect. Ik I'll have to work to let my tool do its Job , nd I thot I was rdy. But as I read the forum here, I'm starting to rethink my decision or maybe my mindset cuz i really thot that this surgery wud also help me maintain once I got to "goal". So I'm wrong? Oh God, what am I gonna do now? I just don't think it fair that after hsvn most of our tummies removed, we should have to ever diet again, I thot changn our eatn lifestyles along w the tool wud guarantee a diet free life, plz help me understand, b4 I go under. Cuz I was really lookn forward to living life wo the thot of Everrr havn to diet again. Sry for whinning but I'm sad now, actually disappointed:( thx all in advance and God bless you all!! Dee Dee[/quote']

Dee, think you are missing the BIG point. Keeping ten to 20 pounds off over a period of years is a lot different than 100+ pounds for most of us! I would have the sleeve again TOMORROW as would the majority of people on this thread. You DO have to change lifestyle. That's where some of us got lax as time went on and started eating too much junk. I have already lost all but 5 pounds of my regain. Took me a month. Found a way to handle it. Do I think I will have to continue to be vigilant? YES. I think 99% of the world has to be vigilant concerning weight and health. Hope that helps. Good luck

Ty 4 answering. I guess I what shudav said is, I realize that this is a tool that will help us have a healthier lifestyle, of course ik I have to work at it, nd DO NOT "plan on" reverting bck to old habits. So I guess, I shudnt have wandered in here bc I guess I have misunderstood the posts I've read or getting to ahead of myself. But thx for acknowledging my thots anyways. Dee

I think it does help to read the vet's posts so you will know how life will look a few years out. It is work to get to goal and stay there, but the sleeve is the only thing that helped me. Year of knowing what to do, following Weight Watchers online and in person, hypnosis and a personal trainer did not do it for me. Just want you to know that it does include diet.

Lynda

Dee' date=' think you are missing the BIG point. Keeping ten to 20 pounds off over a period of years is a lot different than 100+ pounds for most of us! I would have the sleeve again TOMORROW as would the majority of people on this thread. You DO have to change lifestyle. That's where some of us got lax as time went on and started eating too much junk. I have already lost all but 5 pounds of my regain. Took me a month. Found a way to handle it. Do I think I will have to continue to be vigilant? YES. I think 99% of the world has to be vigilant concerning weight and health. Hope that helps. Good luck[/quote']

Ty. I guess, as I restated, I panicked wo really reading all the issues but Ty for responding nd not overlooking a newbie:)

I think it does help to read the vet's posts so you will know how life will look a few years out. It is work to get to goal and stay there' date=' but the sleeve is the only thing that helped me. Year of knowing what to do, following Weight Watchers online and in person, hypnosis and a personal trainer did not do it for me. Just want you to know that it does include diet.

Lynda[/quote']

Ty, bc I've failed more than ive lived, so when I read "diet to help get to goal", I freaked!! Bc to me it meant more failure w less stomach:/ I get it now nd thx to the vets who answered me:-)

Just want to chime in regarding the inspiration in this thread - we will all get there! My losses are harder to come by these days and I am very much looking forward to next week when our houseguests return home and there are no more Cookies, or hamburger Buns, or bread in my normally safe, bad-carb free home. They go down waaaay to easily after that first year - my hubby who is also sleeved has lost his mind I guess...he is at goal and can seemingly eat anything and not gain.

I also had a fright seeing my sister-in-law last week - who was the inspiration for my husband and I to have WL surgery in the first place. She had a RNY and is 3.5 years out, after a very stressful spring with her job, she had gained back 35 lbs of the 165 she had lost.

Over a weeks camping, she had a personal stash of packages of golden Oreo's, those giant containers of goldfish crackers, chips, juice, and bags of dried fruits, including coconut (when I looked at the bags nutrition content and how her dear husband, who is heavier than he has ever been could not seem to stop eating from it - not good.) I am worried that she will gain more back - she has a weakness for sweet carbs :(

This felt like the cautionary tale, the wake-up call - for me to be careful, and mindful, and to keep on working on things that are healthy habits. It is so freaking hard some days...

These kinds of stories really freak me out. I see it all the time here too. I know a woman who got down to 145 from 400 lbs and has gained all her weight back. The older you are, the harder it gets. Being mindful is about the most important thing.

Doing my fast today, I realized how much stuff I stick in my mouth mindlessly.

And yes, Dee, we will be dieting the rest of our lives. We prefer to think of it as changing our eating habits though. We know if we are not mindful of our eating habits, we will gain weight. Just because I had the majority of my stomach removed over 4 years ago, that does not change the calorie counts in foods that I love and can eat, if I am not mindful that I have the disease of obesity.

These kinds of stories really freak me out. I see it all the time here too. I know a woman who got down to 145 from 400 lbs and has gained all her weight back. The older you are' date=' the harder it gets. Being mindful is about the most important thing.

Doing my fast today, I realized how much stuff I stick in my mouth mindlessly.

And yes, Dee, we will be dieting the rest of our lives. We prefer to think of it as changing our eating habits though. We know if we are not mindful of our eating habits, we will gain weight. Just because I had the majority of my stomach removed over 4 years ago, that does not change the calorie counts in foods that I love and can eat, if I am not mindful that I have the disease of obesity.[/quote']

Do you know what surgery this person had that regained from 145 to 400? How is this possible with the restriction. She must have given up and gone off the deep end.

Really??? It puts me as "overweight" at 28.2

Weird...

Did you change it to female because its set on male?

Now it's working correctly! Whew! I never want to see that word again!

Now it's working correctly! Whew! I never want to see that word again!

Good :)

Besides I've seen you in person... And there is no way you are obese!!