Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ant post op smoking cigarrwttes?

Doctor told me not to smoke aftwr nor before surgery. I was sleeved on wed june 12 , alreafy at home feeling very well but i am dyong for a cigarrwtte. I have neen usong e cigs no nicotine even in the hospital rhe day after surgery, they fixed me a big hiatal hernia. Still the only thong i miss is a real cigarret. Help!!!

I will not be the one to tell you want to do. If you smoke they say the healing time is longer. What I will tell you is my story. Went I was released from the hospital I went right back to smoking. I did not have any post problems. I have smoked ever since that time. I smoke because I want to, I enjoy it and that is the decision I made. If you are really wanting a cigarette that is your business what you do. I sure hope that help in making your decision. Good luck to you.

Doctor told me not to smoke aftwr nor before surgery. I was sleeved on wed june 12 ' date=' alreafy at home feeling very well but i am dyong for a cigarrwtte. I have neen usong e cigs no nicotine even in the hospital rhe day after surgery, they fixed me a big hiatal hernia. Still the only thong i miss is a real cigarret. Help!!![/quote']

My Dr said no cigarettes at all ever. Heck I had to sign an agreement. Sorry no smoking

I switched to ecigs (WITH nicotine) and have been fine without cigarettes. Nicotine, according to my doctor, is as harmless to your body as caffeine and he's okay with my vaping habit. Heck, I was vaping in the hospital post-op! If you're able to jump up to a nicquid with some percentage of nicotine, you may fight the urge. To each their own.

I went to my first wl meeting two days ago. The first thing talked about by the nutritionist was no smoking at all. She said that is one thing that will disqualify you from having the surgery because of its effects on healing call the ulcers in the stomach and it can really b a problem for the sleeve initially nd n the long run. She said not just cigarette smoke but any kind nicotine n any form. Then the doctor came in he started out by saying if any of you smoke you will be disqualified from the surgery not just by smoking it anyway you can come to your body including the gum, Patches e-cigs. And he also said if the nutritionist not tell you we do test to see whether or not you have nicotine in your system, so if you are planning on having surgery anytime within the next four to six months stop smoking or using nicotine of any kind right now. And he said anytime during the six months at all, they have the right to test again for it. Not bc they hate u or don't want u to have the surgery, but bc they have seen results. He about a lady who had surgery, lied about smoking bc they didn't use to test, and now she has a big hole in her stomach which can not get fixed until she stops bc it will nit heal or help her right now. So I say, go n get some health from ur surgeon bc ik its hard to quit cold turkey, so learn the gruesome facts n maybe it'll help give u all strength to stop. God bless.

I will not be the one to tell you want to do. If you smoke they say the healing time is longer. What I will tell you is my story. Went I was released from the hospital I went right back to smoking. I did not have any post problems. I have smoked ever since that time. I smoke because I want to, I enjoy it and that is the decision I made. If you are really wanting a cigarette that is your business what you do. I sure hope that help in making your decision. Good luck to you.

How long have you been sleeved? How many cigs do you smoke a day? Had any trouble healing? My doctor did not say not smoking ever again. Of course he said if best for my health if I do not smoke, everybody knows this. But I would like to know in your case, if you had any problemas healing before surgery. Thanks a lot

If you did the surgery to get healthy then why not try to quit smoking for your health??? I quit...3 months ago. A month and a half before surgery...and I feel much better. Its easier to excercise.

My PA told me I can use nicotine patch or whatever i need before surgery they tested my blood for co2 to make sure for the past 30 days I havent been puffing away. I am doing really well with nicotine induced vapor smokes the brand I use is great you can actually blow smoke rings lol i quit smoking real cigarettes over 2 months ago.

surgery to get healthy then why not try to quit smoking for your health???

warning, warning, warning - non smoker here

lexi6510

you made the wise/difficult decision/choice to have major surgery done on your tummy to improve your health :)

the sleeve is/can be difficult, challenging, rules must be followed :angry:

the same is true with smoking!!!

you must stand tall and strong - and be committed determined to win the battle

anyone that hasn't been sleeved yet, please try and quit ASAP

ease up on your smoking - til you do eventually stop

since you have already been sleeved IMO you should work just as hard on kicking the cigarette habit, as the food habit!!!

working/dealing with 2 addictions will be hard :angry:

but.........i can see B) in your face you have a lot of determination and willpower :)

you will succeed with the sleeve :)

to improve your health, as well as others around you - you could/would/should/will also quit smoking

sorry for the "brief" lecture/opinion :blink:

i'm sure its nothing you haven't heard before - still buddies ok ;)

good luck

kathy

I would go for the ecigs if you can. There 3 chemicals in that compared to over 300 carcinogens in regular cigarettes. I used to smoke a pack or 2 a day pre -op and weaned my self using e cigs. Good luck on what ever decision you make

As an FYI - as I've gone through the process of both LapBand removal and then a sleeve with my doctor, I've gotten more into "vaping" nicotine. He's always eager to see what new apparatus I carry with me - he thinks it's totally neat! Clearly, he has no issues with it.

Again, that's MY doctor. YOUR doctor has to be comfortable with your health.