Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2007 bandsters!

I had surgery yesterday and just got home a few hours ago. I am feeling really good. Of course, my stomach is sore but I haven't had any gas pains yet. You never realize how many stomach muscles you have until they hurt like hell.

I am so glad to have found this forum. I felt completely prepared and everything went as I expected it to from reading everyone's post.

The worst part of the whole deal was trying to get out of bed to go to the bathroom. That really hurt my stomach.

But all in all, not too bad. Good luck to the future bandsters this month.

Sharon

Hello Everyone!

I'm back and banded :) Let me share my story.

The Hospital called to tell me that the OR had an emergency that night and please do not come in yet and still do not eat or drink anything. I waited awhile because i was supposed to be there at 1130am and here it is almost 1230! I called back to ask what was going on and please don't cancel the appointment.. They said to come on in but 2 people are before me and he's just finishing the first person now.

I went in w/ my mom and waited awhile. Then went to get prepped and the nurse was reallllllllly nice. She knew people we knew, etc lol. Finally it was almost 530pm and they were ready for me. My mouth was SO dry and i was so hungry! But i stuck it out.

I woke up in recovery w/ really bad chest pains and i remember someone pushing on my chest before i went under.. Ughhh.. It hurt so bad! They did an EKG and it came back fine. The Sugeron told my mom i did great..everything went really well and i had hardly any blood loss! wooho!

I was able to have a private room - which i did not request, but i found it much better! The next day i didn't feel too well, I kept feeling like i had to throw up and they gave me liquid tylenol and i vomited.. That happened late in the afternoon so they suggest i stay an extra night. And i did..

I found most of the trouble pulling my butt in and out of the hopsital bed. It hurt my stomach. I have 7 incisions!! Most are tiny..And the one below the port hurts really bad. It's swollen and very sensative. I also have backpain from sitting too long and i have not been exercising because of the pain. I want to take it easy first.. I've been getting my 60g of Protein in a day and i'm not hungry!!! I just missing wanting to eat food. sounds weird eh? lol - I also am having the gas pains in my chest.. They HURT when they come, but i've been using the Gas-X strips. They NP did not even know Gas-X came in strips.. i suggest getting those!

gasx.jpg

My family has been GREAT and so supportive. I use one of those pillows w/ the arm rests, let me tell you... it helps me so much to sleep at night! Especially since i love to sleep on my stomach and HATE sleeping on my back. I just put one pillow behind it and one further up near the head and it's very comfortable.

armchair.jpg

Everyone at the hospital and home have said i look good and said i am moving around quite well. I've been climbing the stairs in the house and doing small things here and there. I am very happy w/ my decision to get this lapband!

OH! And my parents brought me this get well soon stuff too.

getwellsoon.jpg

2 balloons, 2 pairs of slipper socks (which i loooove!) a fleece blanket, a card and teddy bear! <333

This is such a thriving thread, and everyone is doing so good. Today was my second day back to work. Everyone was so surprised that I'm doing so great. I am so happy that I stuck it out (first appointments were in April 06) and didn't give up when it seemed such a long wait. :clap2:

banded Feb 12th

Hi all. I am new here. I was banded Feb 2 by Dr. Cobourn in Toronto, Canada. So far, all is well. I've lost 22 lbs and loving it. I am still on the pureed stage but getting used to it all. Hope to chat with you and stay in touch. Take care.

Dawn :)

I haven’t much energy right now, but I wanted to touch base before too much time went by. My surgery was at 8:30am on the 15<SUP>th</SUP>, and I came home (to my parent’s house) at 4pm on the 16<SUP>th</SUP>.

The procedure went well, and I felt really good yesterday except for some very strong pain at the actual port site. Bending over to do ‘anything’ is so painful at the port! ;) I was up & walking around very well by 6:30pm. I even went to the Lap-Band support group that happened to meet last night at the hospital. I crawled into bed at 11pm feeling so encouraged, despite the port pain.

This morning at 3am, however, I woke up to pee & felt flu-ish (as if every muscle ached). I could hardly move my legs & chalked it up to sleeping the hospital bed. By 7am, when the nurse woke me to check my vitals, I couldn’t even left my head off the pillow. :sick And I had a slight fever (100.6), too. But my surgeon checked me out & said that flu-like symptoms were often a side effect of anesthesia. I feel like I’ve been hit by a Mac truck, but so be it.

I left the hospital with my hubby at 1pm, dropped of my Vicoden Rx, and browsed through a discount store next to the pharmacy while waiting on the prescription. After that we came back to my folks’, I hugged on my babies (who were none the worse for my absence :-P) and took a nap. Now I’m off for my dinner of a Protein Shake. That is my main diet for the next 2 weeks. My clinic recommends 16-24 oz daily of Protein shake made with skim milk, supplemented by plenty of Water, and broth, Jell-O, pudding & yogurt for the 1<SUP>st</SUP> 2 weeks. Such fun! :)

Well, my shake is gonna separate if I don’t get to it soon, so... Good luck to all of you, too!

Had surgery yesterday at 8:00. Surgerical team was just great. Surgeon said, however, that they were surprised that once they got in, I had a lot of fatty tissue around my internal organs, and he had to cut quite a bit away from the stomach in order to get the band on.:cry

My surgeon was so great and supportive, though. He said he's really confident I will do well and get rid of all the fatty tissue in the dangerous area now.

But I haven't had any really bad pain. This evening I feel not so great, but anyway it's over with. I had no problems hitting the required 70 g Protein and 62 oz Water today. I was so thirsty.

I was really disappointed that when I tried to go for a walk, I could only go 5 minutes outside. It was kind of painful.

I think I was supposed to do 30 minutes today. Anyway.

I'm 5 days post op now and really low I just have no energy at all and the thought of any Protein Shakes is enough to start me heaving. I'm surviving on warm milk and thin Soup. I know I've made the right choice to have this surgery but right now I can't stop crying.

Hello Everyone...

I was banded on Feb 15th (Thursday). I feel like I am doing really well. Just some pain at my incision sites and I am finally getting rid of the gas pain in my shoulder.

I would love to get outside and walk but it is snowing and we already have about 10 inches of snow on the ground:( . So I have been trying to walk around the house as much as possible...

I hope everyone has a great weekend and Congratulations to all of the other Banded Newbies!

I'm 5 days post op now and really low I just have no energy at all and the thought of any Protein Shakes is enough to start me heaving. I'm surviving on warm milk and thin Soup. I know I've made the right choice to have this surgery but right now I can't stop crying.

:boy_hug:Louise:girl_hug: I am only 2 days out, but I already know these shakes are gonna get old quick. Two a day - egad! I got a Isopure variety pack that has 5 different flavors in individual packets (45g Protein each) from GNC (less $$ online at Drugstore.com, BTW). I hope that variety will be the key. GNC also sells what looks like a kool-aid in a glass bottle by the Isopure people -- it has 40g of protein. These were expensive, but again, I have high hopes for variety to see me through these 1st two weeks!:)

Keep focused on the big picture, and set yourself a little goal for each day you can pat your own back for (water, walking, etc) -- that's the advice I've been given. And remember we're all here with you, your fellow Februray Bandsters! :hug: I know you can do it!!

Thanks Suzanne. I have picked up a little now, my husband bless him has spent the whole afternoon in the kitchen making me different Soups, the chicken one smells particularly nice. I'm ok drinking straight milk and I can have smooth yogurt so I'm hoping that my Protein will be ok without the shakes. I soon as I see on I start heaving which isn't good so close to the operation. I'd never thought I'd say but a jacket potato and salad sounds like heaven to me at the moment!!lol!!

Hi, everybody! I thought I'd take a few minutes and post an update!

I'm feeling great! I still have little twinges of pain in my port area, but other than that, I'm mostly pain free! What a difference! Every single day, I've felt better and better. I can even sleep on my side now without pain or discomfort! WOO-HOO!!!

I'm still on the full liquid diet, and I've started adding a few mushies to it, although I'm thinning them down to almost Soup consistency before I eat them. I was getting tired of the Protein Shakes, so I've started blending 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 1 cup of Tomato juice. Not for everybody, but I sure like it, and it has a lot of protein!

I hope all the newest bandsters are feeling good, just try to remember it DOES get better! (((hugs))) to everyone newly banded this month, and to all who are still waiting....