Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why so many "my journey with so and so in Mexico" posts

I may be a simpleton but I just think that most people who went to Mexico, especially who went for the first time are amazed at how it went. Do I believe that some of the Docs there have staff stalking this site? Sure. But I think for the most part, people are kind of amazed that they did what they did. Did I REALLY just go to Mexico and have 85% of my stomach removed? Was it really as positive as I'd hoped? Was it really as good of an experience as people have described?

Had my surgery stateside and was self pay but I do know that If I had gone to Mexico and it was as positive as people say I would be telling my story as well.

I just don't think it's as sinister as some people think.

I agree some are for profit and it wasn't too long ago that an US dr and helper/Cordinator/staffer posted on the forum too. There's no way to weed them out' date=' but I'd like to see them to be limited to a thread for the particular dr. It would aid in all aspects of research.

Naming your dr helps others.. Even in the states. That way if someone is considering yourparticular dr they can contact you for your opinion. I wish more US patients would assist other in researching.

BUT in an originzed manor and not all over the forum.[/quote']

Actually there is a sub forum here for talking about your particular surgeon.. But no one really uses it :(

It's kind of like house training 1000 stray kittens

Getting people to post in the right place.

Edit; I just looked at the surgeon forum it's all American docs so maybe putting a new forum for Mexico doctors??

Tequila as anesthesia? Oh boy if that were true I'd say sign me up!!! :P

Hey.. I have a g/f who back in the early 70's broke her arm while partying in TJ and they actually did give tequila while they set it! Trust me.. This was 40 years ago.

Actually there is a sun forum here for talking about your particular surgeon.. But no one really uses it :(

It's kind of like house training 1000 stray kittens

Getting people to post in the right place.

Well they need staff to weed, gather and put things in their right places ;)

Well they need staff to weed' date=' gather and put things in their right places ;)[/quote']

Well don't look at me... Although Alex told me the other day I was on the "short list" but to what I don't know!!! :P

Probably going to boot my fat ass outta here. :D

The Dr I went to in TJ, and his staff never once brought up the subject of me writing anything about them on the Internet. They never once even mentioned Forums or anything online. Some of those people who are trying to be coordinators and write those posts you are talking about went to the same Dr as me. I believe they somehow found out they could get a $100 credit for getting a friend to come (this was never mentioned or offered to me) and felt they would make it into a new income stream. I wonder if the Dr even knows these people are making him look- not bad but....I don't even know how to say it. It may make you doubt that he is as good as he is because of the stories you don't know if you should believe.

Anyway I'm just trying to say I believe the problem lies with those posters not the Drs.

You are taking a big leap of faith traveling to another country to have surgery. I know that for me it helped to read others experiences. It helped put me at ease. When I did arrive, I knew what to expect because of others posts and stories...

The Dr I went to in TJ' date=' and his staff never once brought up the subject of me writing anything about them on the Internet. They never once even mentioned Forums or anything online. Some of those people who are trying to be coordinators and write those posts you are talking about went to the same Dr as me. I believe they somehow found out they could get a 100 credit for getting a friend to come (this was never mentioned or offered to me) and felt they would make it into a new income stream. I wonder if the Dr even knows these people are making him look- not bad but....I don't even know how to say it. It may make you doubt that he is as good as he is because of the stories you don't know if you should believe.

Anyway I'm just trying to say I believe the problem lies with those posters not the Drs.

.[/quote']

this explains a lot! Thank you.

Not one person affiliated with my coordinator or doctor ever mentioned giving them referrals, posting reviews or this forum at all. I will say that my experience in Mexico was

Sorry....

Was awesome, but with the amount patients that get seen by my doctor, we all had the same experience. Our entire trip was planned and we had an itinerary of what we would do each day. So it's no surprise that everyone's "journey" is exactly alike when you share the same doctor. For me, that was what helped me make my decision, knowing my doctor does the same thing everyday all day, means he doesn't get a lot of surprises. I couldn't get these same types of reviews for many surgeons here In the US.

To the OP: maybe you are thinking the posts are not from real patients as you yourself did not go to Mexico. The reason why we post is to let others know what a great experience we had in a foreign country. For those like yourself that think it is a scam, hoping to make you understand that their are amazing doctors in other countries that are very skilled at this surgery. Maybe look at the posters history and the majority post on here all the time and are legitimate patients.

To the OP: maybe you are thinking the posts are not from real patients as you yourself did not go to Mexico. The reason why we post is to let others know what a great experience we had in a foreign country. For those like yourself that think it is a scam' date=' hoping to make you understand that their are amazing doctors in other countries that are very skilled at this surgery. Maybe look at the posters history and the majority post on here all the time and are legitimate patients.[/quote']

I wasnt saying the majority werent but there are 3 or 4 that ive seen (there may be more) that have the exact same writing style and same setup that makes me believe those are fake. Not all of them just a few and of those few the posters history has like 4 posts.

And I'm not an ethnocentric pig who only believes American drs can do surgeries. ..I know there are skilled drs in other countries.

And you can also write your experience without advertising for the dr and the facility. I dont think I ever wrote my drs name unless someone asked me. I understand the real posters but some are legit not real. These people all have the same writing style? Cmon.

And these few people have like 4 posts

To those of us who were researching surgery in Mexico, having the NAME OF THE DOCTOR/FACILITY/COORDINATING COMPANY in the posts was very valuable.. We want to know what the experience will be like with a particular doctor and also the coordinating company and hospital.... Heck, I have my doctor information in my signature. I assure you they didn't pay me for it.

To those of us who were researching surgery in Mexico' date=' having the NAME OF THE DOCTOR/FACILITY/COORDINATING COMPANY in the posts was very valuable.. We want to know what the experience will be like with a particular doctor and also the coordinating company and hospital.... Heck, I have my doctor information in my signature. I assure you they didn't pay me for it.[/quote']

And you also have 1000 posts I'm not talking about you...I am talking about the few people who have about 4 posts and that's it.

Right.. I believe those who come here and their one or few posts are strictly about a particular dr is ...well, not the one others should rely on for their research. Although, I know one Cordinator is a ongoing member, but she's slacked off a bit since we called her out on it. I think she "lurks and seeks" BEWARE of pms that you didn't initiate. If some one is boasting about a dr make sure you're first talking publicly in the thread and then YOU pm them. Don't let others come seeking you. If its first in the public then others can help spot a Cordinator or $ maker. And this is for all surgeons.. Not just MX.

Perhaps in the future the forum can clean/clear this issue up