Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ontario Clinics

Thanks Atir, I'm glad everything has been going well for you. I've read a bit about the PBing also. I think most times people seem to be able to control it better or with trial and error learn which foods are better tolerated than others. I also read that right after fills it can be more irritating so some people go back to liquids for a wekk or so and then reintroduce other foods slowly.

Slow but steady is a great way to lose weight and proves to be successful in keeping it off too.

Thanks for the info on Dr. J - he is quite impressive.

:) Janice

I was banded at TLBC. They were great and I have no complaints. I have heard on this site that Dr. Coburn also gives great lap band.

I am also a newbie to this forum.. I am considering the surgery and have an appt. in mississauga 2wks from now.. I was wondering if the cost for the surgery is the same between toronto and miss.? I haven't called my insurance company to see if they will cover it or not.. Reading the USA posts, alot of companies seem to cover them... Does anyone know if they cover us in Ontario? or does it depend on your insurance company? I'm with Green Sheild, any thoughts on them? I'm a little scared hearing about the vomiting and erosion issues.. but feel this is a good choice for me... Thanks, Maggie:help:

Hi Maggie, I can't answer your insurance question but as for the fees, I believe both Ontario clinics charge $16K.

I know some of the complications or side effects I've read about can be scary but so are health complication due to obesity. Good for you for making an informed choice on whta's best for you.

Let us know how everything goes.

:rolleyes:

Janice

Maggie,

I think they're also the same price.

Don't count on getting anything from your insurance, I don't think anyone has. (in Canada)

Mandi

Hi maggiec.....

First of all WELCOME!!

No, Ontario definitely does NOT cover lapband surgery.

Re. the price....keep in mind that that is an "all-inclusive" price....in other words it includes the cost of lifetime fills/defills etc. Lots of folks in the US have to pay each and every time they go back for a fill.

Don't let the possible side effects worry you. Firstly, erosion is a very slim possibility...verrrrry slim. Secondly, the "vomiting" doesn't happen to everyone and if you are, in fact, referring to PBing, it is VERY different from vomiting. People with the lapband do not vomit in the regular sense....they can't anymore....nothing actually comes up from the stomach itself and therefore there is none of that wicked bile etc.....

Really and truly....ppl will only PB if they generally haven't done something they should (ie. chew enough, small enough bites etc). And even tho we may all really "do" the right thing it can still happen because the band is fickle and doing it one way one time might be okay and doing it the same way next time might not be "enough"; hence the PB.

I did a lot of research too before I decided and to be honest, though I inofrmed myself of possible complications (ie. erosion, slippage) I did NOT read the "complication" threads at all....no need to....why bother unless it happens to you? All you need to be aware of are WHAT they are and the frequency (from your doctor)....not all the details that people who have suffered it are going through. (my opinion)!

Hi all, I have what is probably a silly question but since we're talking about PBing and such, I'll go ahead and ask it.

Yoda, you mentioned that "People with the lapband do not vomit in the regular sense....they can't anymore....nothing actually comes up from the stomach itself and therefore there is none of that wicked bile etc..... " but what if you simply have the flu, wouldn't you be heaving with the best of them? Also, what if you have dry heaves, do you think this would affect the band and possibly cause it to slip?

Further, back in May 2006 I suddenly got Vertigo. I've never had it before and it literally hit me out of the blue. I couldn't stand up, my world was spinning and everything was upside down, hence - I did alot of throwing up. After the band, what happens if you have the vomit reflex? I understand PBing is something completely different (from not chewing properly, etc and food simply just comes back up more slike spitting it back out as I understand).

I know, I know... probably silly questions but it is something that has crossed my mind.

Anyone have any thoughts?

:rolleyes:

Janice

Not silly at all. You DON'T want to have a huge vomitting fit. If for some reason you do, do what you can to stop it, because 'they' do say that that COULD contribute to a slip. I don't mean a couple little pukies... but ALOT.

That's why you need the gravol for after surgery... just in case. (and especially cause you're so newly banded) They gave me IV gravol right after surgery (which I'm sure they do to everyone).

I've heard some of the americans say that when they've gotten sick like that, they've had to go to emerg. and get 'phenegrin'?, or get a prescription from their fam. doctor, as a just in case. (I'm sure we have something similar, if not the same) Also heard of gravol ememas, since if you're vomitting, the pills aren't gonna stay down :omg:

Thanks everyone for your encouragment!!

When I called Dr. C's they told me it would be 16k and the 200 consult visit would be taken off that price.. Can someone tell me what Pbing is? and what is ppl? sorry, haven't figured out the lingo yet. I know what Lpb is, haha.. So you are saying that most people don't have a nausea feeling? and that vomiting or spit up don't necessarily happen? I hate vomiting!! had 3 kids and vomited for 4 months with each, glad I will never have to do that again!! and how long before you can return to work? What do they give you for the 2 wks pre op? some people talk about slim fast? is that all you can have before surgery? not that it will kill me, I did Dr. B diet for 2 years so starving yourself comes easy when you do that diet!!! but I got sick of not being able to eat normally, I just want to be able to eat but not feel like I need to eat tons to be satisfied.. thanks for the help, Maggie

Thanks everyone for your encouragment!!

When I called Dr. C's they told me it would be 16k and the 200 consult visit would be taken off that price.. Can someone tell me what Pbing is? and what is ppl? sorry, haven't figured out the lingo yet. I know what Lpb is, haha.. So you are saying that most people don't have a nausea feeling? and that vomiting or spit up don't necessarily happen? I hate vomiting!! had 3 kids and vomited for 4 months with each, glad I will never have to do that again!! and how long before you can return to work? What do they give you for the 2 wks pre op? some people talk about slim fast? is that all you can have before surgery? not that it will kill me, I did Dr. B diet for 2 years so starving yourself comes easy when you do that diet!!! but I got sick of not being able to eat normally, I just want to be able to eat but not feel like I need to eat tons to be satisfied.. thanks for the help, Maggie

Oh goodness, so many questions!!

PB - productive burp - pretty much what it sounds like, a burp, in which food comes along. Can happen when you eat too much, too fast, too big of bites, or just something that doesn't agree with you. It's kind of trial and error to figure out what will or won't do it. Some people never do.

ppl - just short for people !

No no, you can still get nauseous. The PB itself isn't cause by nausea though.

You could probably go back to work, say, a week later. Depends on what you do. No heavy lifting for 6 weeks, though.

For 2 (or sometimes 3) weeks before surgery (now this is with Cobourn/Mumford), you drink Optifast shakes (plus a little bit of veggies, nothing else). You have to but this from them. I am kinda blanking out, but I'm sure it's over and above the surgery cost. I think it was about $200 (for 2 weeks). I thoroughly did not enjoy it. But I lost 15lbs, so that makes it worthwhile... and I had a super slim liver, which wasn't knicked, and surgery went well, surely helped by the Optifast.< /p>

How's that? I'm sure people (ppl!) will add to, and/or negate everything I said! :rolleyes:

Hi Maggiec, I'm a newbie too and was really confused by all the abbreviations used in the posts. I found a great sticky post in the Lapband FAQs and References Forum which gives a list of all the abbreviations and what they mean - might be helpful for you, it sure helped me!

Anyway, when I spoke to Dr. Cs clinic they told me that you have to go on Optifast for several weeks before surgery (duration differs for each person depending on your weight, liver fat, etc.), each case is $35 for 12 (don't quote me but I think that's what it was).

Argon: Your info is always right on the mark - at least that's the way I see it! :biggrin1: But you said something that has put me back to paranioa land. :faint: "Didn't knick my liver" Huh? Is this another risk - what does it mean to the unfortunate who has their liver knicked? See - your wisdom has me forever coming up with more questions

Hi! I have chosen TLBC because of Dr. Joffe/Yau's combined experience, the fact that Dr. Joffe pioneered the procedure in Canada, but mainly because both surgeons are present during surgery.