Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

auto immune disorders and the sleeve

Dob

Good to meet a fellow as sufferer. Congrats on the weight loss but sorry to hear abt the flare. I dont have a consultation date yer. Im wondering how long ill have to be off Humira. I had shoulder syrgery 2 yrs ago and was on enbrel at the time. Rheumy only made me skip one shot the week before the surgery. Keep me posted on how ur doing. Hope it gets better

Akarigger' date=' hope your surgery went well, let us know how you are doing.[/quote']

I am now 11 days post op and i am feeling pretty good. I was having a flare before the surgery so i had to go on steroids in high dose got already a month to six Weeks but my goal us to get away from the steroids with better health and eating. Please keep us updated and hope you are well!!!

I'm scheduled July 9th I was nervous I have uctd/mctd.

i just went for my 2 week post op visit and i am down 20 pounds, moving onto pureed foods and feeling fabulous.....good luck everyone!!!

Congratulations!!! Pleased to hear you are doing great, hope ur health is well too.

Am now 9 weeks out and my arthritis continues to give me no trouble. Was in New Orleans recently for a weeks holiday and walked for hours every day. The combo of weight loss and arthritis in remission meant I wasn't exhausted and didn't miss doing one thing :-)))

Hope everyone else is making good progress!

Congratulations!!! Pleased to hear you are doing great' date=' hope ur health is well too.

Am now 9 weeks out and my arthritis continues to give me no trouble. Was in New Orleans recently for a weeks holiday and walked for hours every day. The combo of weight loss and arthritis in remission meant I wasn't exhausted and didn't miss doing one thing :-)))

Hope everyone else is making good progress![/quote']

My health is good thankfully. The steroids are doing there thing and my sleeve its keeping me from eating everything in sight. I hope your arthritis gets better soon too!!!

down 20 pounds, moving onto pureed foods and feeling fabulous

The combo of weight loss and arthritis in remission meant I wasn't exhausted and didn't miss doing one thing :-)))

Congrats Aka and Indigo. I haven't met with my Dr. yet. I am attending a seminar 7/2 and will get a consult appt after that. I am really hurting in my SI joint and the weight I'm carrying isn't helping. Kepp us updated.

akarigger

How soon were you able to go back to work?

i actually was able to go back in one week because i work in an office environment. The first few farts you are tired and then ai started to move around and get out the house the better i felt. They just told me of i was in pain to stay home longer but i literally had very minimal pain after i was discharged. Good luck jayker!!!

that is awesome one week wow!

I have ankylosing spondylitis and fibromyalgia (caused by my ankylosing spondylitis). I take Enbrel injections weekly. I'm also on a number of other medications to manage my pain. I had my surgery February 26 and was off all my meds for about a month but had to go back on them because my pain started to go back to the way it was before. For almost a month' date=' I was able to live without my meds. I've lost 56 pounds and I thought my pain would get better but right now I'm flaring and having the worst pain I've had in a very long time. So losing weight for me hasn't helped. I still have a lot of weight to lose so maybe losing more weight will help my pain. My ESR is normal though! So that's good![/quote']

I am presently fighting a flare but my steroids are helping tremendously. I sure hope that you are soon able to get some pain relief soon so we all can enjoy our lighter healthier bodies!!

Dob

Good to meet a fellow as sufferer. Congrats on the weight loss but sorry to hear abt the flare. I dont have a consultation date yer. Im wondering how long ill have to be off Humira. I had shoulder syrgery 2 yrs ago and was on enbrel at the time. Rheumy only made me skip one shot the week before the surgery. Keep me posted on how ur doing. Hope it gets better

I had to go off my Enbrel 2 weeks before surgery.

Regarding AI diseases... anyone have autoimmune thyroid (Hashimoto's)? I have a thyroid that just doesn't work, even with meds and normal TSH/T4 levels. I've also got bad Sjogrens. Both AI's are sending super high antibodies throughout my system causing me extreme pain and inflammation all the time. It's been very hard for me to lose weight on my own, hence I'm in the process of getting surgery scheduled. I'm worried that with such an underactive thyroid, I won't be able to lose even with the sleeve. I'm only on 1300-1500 cals a day now as it is. My surgeon has said that this operation tends to "kick-start" a bad metabolism. I've read that this has most often been the case with many people. I realize every body is different, so I guess I'll either bail or take my chances and go through with it... thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

I have AIH autoimmune hepatitis. This is a non viral form of hepatitis. My immune system is trying to take out my liver. I was diagnosed in 2004 and have been on prednisone since then and will be for the rest of my life. My question is - has anybody been on long term prednisone and had the gastric sleeve? The dr. Says I will get ulcers from it after the surgery. I will be talking to my hepatologist about this but maybe someone here has the same or close to the same problem. Thank you for your in put and congratulations to all of you that are having a successful time with the sleeve surgery.

I have AIH autoimmune hepatitis. This is a non viral form of hepatitis. My immune system is trying to take out my liver. I was diagnosed in 2004 and have been on prednisone since then and will be for the rest of my life. My question is - has anybody been on long term prednisone and had the gastric sleeve? The dr. Says I will get ulcers from it after the surgery. I will be talking to my hepatologist about this but maybe someone here has the same or close to the same problem. Thank you for your in put and congratulations to all of you that are having a successful time with the sleeve surgery.

At first, your stomach is very sensitive (because you just had surgery). But after a couple months, it will be stronger. This is not gastric bypass, which would cause issues with ulcers. A lot of us get this surgery specifically so we can still take our medications. I thought, for the first couple months, that I wouldn't be able to take my naproxen. I took it (without my doctors approval) and I had ulcers from it. So then I went off it for a little bit (my rheumy gave me celebrex) and then I went back on my naproxen (because the celebrex didn't work as well) and I've had no problems since. I take it even without food! No ulcers (that I know of). I take naproxen twice daily. I also take a prilosec daily. I think that definitely helps. I haven't had any experience with taking prednisone since I've had my surgery but I take a crap ton of meds with my sleeve and I've been fine (except for about the first 2 months). Your stomach will be exactly the same as it was before, except smaller. It will digest food the same way and do what it has always done. It will go through your GI system exactly the same. So I don't understand why your doctor thinks you will get ulcers. This is a newer surgery and sometimes doctors like to bunch all the information they know about gastric bypass with the gastric sleeve. Like I said before, a lot of people get the gastric sleeve surgery specifically so they can take their medications. The doctor you talked to, was that the bariatric surgeon? If so, he knows more than me. My my bariatric surgeon said I can do anything I want, take anything I need, eat/drink anything I want and I haven't had ANY problems (except the first 2 months).