Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Ohio. Self pay or Mexico? Anyone self pay at Ohio State University Bariatric?

Hello, I am new. My name is Trina and I am trying to choose between self-pay stateside (longer wait, perhaps will never be able to save enough or finance after the divorce), or the unknown of Mexico. I have tentatively booked a date with Dr. Garcia at florence (Oasis of Hope) hospital for August 27. I haven't "sealed the deal" yet because I can't find a follow-up surgeon in Ohio who will see me if anything goes wrong, and worse, I will have to fight with United Healthcare to get anything related to the surgery covered.

Does anyone know what the self-pay option costs in Ohio? I would prefer Dr. Needleman at Ohio State, because he came as a referral from a good friend. However, I am open.

What about care once you got home? I realize the surgeons in Mx are highly qualified and it seems they have "the magic touch" and very little complications, but with my luck, I will be the one with troubles and no surgeon.

A little personal info since this is my first post ... don't be fooled by the low BMI, I am on the rise. Since puberty, that's how it has gone. Always on the rise or losing, but never, ever maintaining any weight. I told my husband I would truly be happy with 180 lbs if I could maintain it, but my body just won't cooperate. I am at 220 or thereabouts and I am 5'4". I have no known comorbidities other than arthritis. Healthy as a horse, just overweight -- not ideal as a bariatric patient stateside, but the Mx won't turn away my American dollars. :)

My sister recently had the surgery in central Ohio and she initially turned me on to Mx. However, now that I have gotten serious about it, she is worried about me not finding aftercare. She's about 2 months post-op and doing beautifully. She's lost about 60 lbs and had no complications, fyi.

Her surgeons have refused me service when I return from Mx, they won't take me on as a liability. It's disheartening.

I know this topic has been discussed endlessly on here, but I still haven't figured out what to do if something arises that can't be fixed in an emergency room and I need a surgeon. That's the million dollar question.

I have been lurking for awhile, since my sister had surgery, and have learned a great deal about a topic I thought I already knew plenty about. Thanks for the resource, and thanks in advance for any input or suggestions. I need to make a decision and pay the $500 to secure my Mx surgery date or explore self-pay options closer to home if I decide that the aftercare is a dealbreaker. Sitting right in the middle at this point, and hoping one of you will have words of widsom.

Nice to meet y'all!

I'm going to see Dr. Garcia at Florence Hospital on June 10th! From what I've read on here you don't need a follow up doctor in the US. If anything were to go wrong once you are back you just go to the ER (they cannot deny you care) or see your primary care physician.

Trina, first of all welcome! I hope you find the answers you seek but I promise you will get lots of support!

As you know, complications are rare but they do happen so you are smart to look for aftercare now. You will not need regular follow up except for maybe a blood panel at 3 months out but many skip that.

My insurance covers a blood panel once a year so I will tell my regular clinic to code it as my annual check. My insurance does not cover complications from any elective/non-covered surgery so I would be SOL from complications from plastic surgery as well. It's something I have thought about a lot.The trick to getting care for a major complication is in the way hospitals code your treatment for submission to insurance.

Find someone who does medical billing and talk to them about coding and terminology. Your treatment must not be described as complication from weight loss surgery: something like "emergency internal bleeding" or "rupture" depending on the situation. The hard part is thinking of all the things that could go wrong ahead of time. And the fact is odds are overwhelming you will not need this information at all. But if it gives you peace of mind it is worth it.

Another thing I have noticed is that some of us have had to look high and low for a primary care physician that is not at least somewhat squeamish about treating us after surgery in Mexico. But they are out there. Don't give up.

What kind of Dr. are you looking at for aftercare? I don't see why a PCP wouldn't be willing to run the lab work on you at the recommended intervals. My gynecologist has agreed to do my aftercare. There is also complication insurance you can purchase through a company in Canada.

Self pay for outpatient surgery in Ohio is 14,700. You get two years after care for that price. Dr Trace Curry in Cincinnati, Ohio. You can go online and look up his website. He did my surgery on May 6, 2013 and one of my co-workers just last June.

I'm an Ohioan too. I went to Dr. Aceves in March and it was beyond excellent.

My PCP does my follow up. My insurance excludes WLS.

It's a gamble for sure but I don't regret my decision.

Boniverfan, thanks for the information on your Cincy doctor. That's still a lot, compared to the Mx docs, but its good to consider all options.

And thanks for all who have replied. I am reading every word!

After being denied by my insurance I too decided l go to Mexico since out of pocket in Mexico was so much cheaper then the states.

I had surgery with dr Garcia in February at Hospital MI (wish florence was an option then, it sounds nice) I was so pleased with my experience, that If I had to do it again I would still choose Mexico. The thought of only being in the hospital one night in the states when you are there for 2 nights in Mexico then an extra 1 or two in the hotel where doctors are checking in on you, To me that made all the difference in my recovery.

I loved all the ready for a change staff and dr Garcia and his entire team!

I found telling surgeons in the states before you leave they will deny you aftercare because they want you to stay and have it here. When I got home, I already had a two week check up set up with my primary care doctor just in case. I did call around to numerous surgeons saying I had the sleeve and needed post op care in the area. They were willing to see me when needed. (I already had the surgery they couldn't change my mind at that point) I have decided to just continue to see my PCP since she has numerous bariatric patients and understands much about the procedure and what is required post op. I saw her 2wks post op to check on my incisions and to address some heartburn issues I was having, then saw her at 3 mos. I go back every 3 months for a year.

Good luck with your decision, and I will give my 100% recommendation for dr Garcia if you choose to go.