Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have pcos and was on max doses of metformin preop. I was lucky enough to have twins (with assistance) and a single baby after a hard core low carb diet. No matter what I did for diet and exercise I just couldn't drop below 220 (250-260 with carbs and no exercise) at my surgeon consult I explained my concern that if have surgery and what if I still can't drop below 220. She told me not to worry about it, wouldn't be an issue. 7 months later I'm at my surgeons goal of 170 with 25 more to go for my goal. I will say the other most annoying symptom I have of Hair growth has not changed at all. Still pretty bad. Guess you can't have everything but happy with what I got! Good luck on your journey!

I have PCOS and have NOT had surgery yet. My date is July 10th and I'm hoping to all gods there are that it helps cure my PCOS. I've heard stories of people completely getting rid of it to where they didn't even need medication anymore. I have a huge stomach area' date=' horrible menstrual cycle, and have tried having a baby for 3 years, with obviously no luck. We are hoping that after 6+ months and a positive amount of weight loss, we can try again and not need any IVF!!![/quote']

I too are hoping to fall pregnant without IVF. Just so u know, u can't ever get rid of PCOS. It is with us for life. But in saying that with the weightloss we can have less symtoms and can manage it better. I know this sucks. I just wanted to let u know so that u won't be upset when it doesn't go away

I have pcos and was on max doses of metformin preop. I was lucky enough to have twins (with assistance) and a single baby after a hard core low carb diet. No matter what I did for diet and exercise I just couldn't drop below 220 (250-260 with carbs and no exercise) at my surgeon consult I explained my concern that if have surgery and what if I still can't drop below 220. She told me not to worry about it' date=' wouldn't be an issue. 7 months later I'm at my surgeons goal of 170 with 25 more to go for my goal. I will say the other most annoying symptom I have of hair growth has not changed at all. Still pretty bad. Guess you can't have everything but happy with what I got! Good luck on your journey![/quote']

That was my main issue too, I've done all the no white carb thing and the weight hardly came off . I asked my surgeon the same thing .. What if it doesn't work because of the insulin resistance ? She said it would come off but slower than normal people. Arghhhh PCOS suck.

You can get rid of the main symptom of PCOS, which is insulin resistance. The insulin resistance comes from all the fat stored around your abdomen, which is pumping out estrogen like crazy. Warning, you will likely get quite fertile after you drop about 10% of your weight so make sure you are taking precautions until your doctor says it is ok to get pregnant.

For me, I can tell you that losing my ovaries did not impact my PCOS, but I lost 70 pounds (on WW) and my periods and ovulation became like clockwork. Until I gained it again. Now obviously losing the weight won't help me since I have had a hysterectomy since then.

So I am now in menopause at 35 but I hope I lose the PCOS symptoms as the weight drops. I have already lost almost 10%! Just 3 kg to go.

I too are hoping to fall pregnant without IVF. Just so u know' date=' u can't ever get rid of PCOS. It is with us for life. But in saying that with the weightloss we can have less symtoms and can manage it better. I know this sucks. I just wanted to let u know so that u won't be upset when it doesn't go away[/quote']

Hey Bec ! I just wanted to say good luck tomorrow . I will be thinking of you and your new journey . Keep in touch and I would love to know how you are going .

Kristi x

Hey Bec ! I just wanted to say good luck tomorrow . I will be thinking of you and your new journey . Keep in touch and I would love to know how you are going .

Kristi x

Hey Kristi!! Thanks so much. I'm getting more nervous and having more freak outs but I'll be fine lol. I'll def keep in touch

You can get rid of the main symptom of PCOS' date=' which is insulin resistance. The insulin resistance comes from all the fat stored around your abdomen, which is pumping out estrogen like crazy. Warning, you will likely get quite fertile after you drop about 10% of your weight so make sure you are taking precautions until your doctor says it is ok to get pregnant.

For me, I can tell you that losing my ovaries did not impact my PCOS, but I lost 70 pounds (on WW) and my periods and ovulation became like clockwork. Until I gained it again. Now obviously losing the weight won't help me since I have had a hysterectomy since then.

So I am now in menopause at 35 but I hope I lose the PCOS symptoms as the weight drops. I have already lost almost 10%! Just 3 kg to go.[/quote']

Mistysj how has your weight loss been going ? have you noticed it has slowed down at all? My doc said yesterday that I should expect slower progress now because of PCOS , just wondering if everyone on here is the same .

Bad time with PCOS. Slower weight loss but still coming off. 4.5 months post op, down 60 lbs! Happy but wishing it was faster.

This thread is a breath of fresh air. I have had PCOS for about 10+ years. I have having to explain what it is and why I am getting the surgery (surgery Aug7th) People judge me because my BMI is a lower BMI 38. They feel like PCOS is just an excuse but I am believing it will help with regular cycles and the increased weight gain. It seems like most of the responders are Pre-Surgery. :-) wish I had more data. My doctor is going to take am ultrasound to get a baseline to see if it will really help. Good luck to all.

Well I was sleeved on 3rd June. And guess what... I had a normal period!!!! Lasted 5 days like it used to. The weight is coming down slow but that's ok. I'm down 6.7kgs since the op and 14.1kgs since pre op. I'm not too worried as long as it keeps going down I'm happy. I haven't seen anything changed to do with Hair growth but it's still early days..

Good luck to all who are getting sleeved soon

I was sleeved 4/16 and have had two periods since. The first one was brutal because I hadn't had one in 2 years. Dr put me on birth control and the second one wasn't so bad and not heavy like the other. Thank God! Pcos sucks. Weight gain, excess body hair, thinning hair and possible infertility sucks. And no one knows anything about it unless they have it. No one else understands either. My weight loss has been pretty good. Had about a 3 week stall but seems fine now. Surgery weight was 284 and now I'm 210. Hopefully these pcos symptoms go away. Hubby and I want a baby. That was the main reason for surgery. I'm 30 will be 31 in August. My clock is ticking really fast!! The 18 month wait is gonna be the hardest!

PS. Keep up the good work everyone! Proud of each of you!

This thread is a breath of fresh air. I have had PCOS for about 10+ years. I have having to explain what it is and why I am getting the surgery (surgery Aug7th) People judge me because my BMI is a lower BMI 38. They feel like PCOS is just an excuse but I am believing it will help with regular cycles and the increased weight gain. It seems like most of the responders are Pre-Surgery. :-) wish I had more data. My doctor is going to take am ultrasound to get a baseline to see if it will really help. Good luck to all.

My main reason for my surgery was that my insulin levels were double the norm , insulin resistant thanks to PCOS . Making me pre diabetic and my poor pancreas was under so much stress trying to produce so much insulin . I still have a risk if diabetes but now it won't be till later on in life . The weight loss for us is a lot slower than the normal person but it will come down ... Cutting out white carbs is a huge must for PCOS it is stored straight away .

My main reasons were: we want a baby and have been trying for 3 years, just want to get healthy and that I was 1 point away from becoming a pre dieabetic which I don't want. Plus my weight just keeps going up and up. I had tried all diets and it just doesn't work.

I'm very happy with my weight loss and am happy for it to just go down.

My main reasons were: we want a baby and have been trying for 3 years' date=' just want to get healthy and that I was 1 point away from becoming a pre dieabetic which I don't want. Plus my weight just keeps going up and up. I had tried all diets and it just doesn't work.

I'm very happy with my weight loss and am happy for it to just go down.[/quote']

I'm 13 kg down since pre op ... Your doing great Bec